Thread: Teaching the Kids Sportsmanship

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Teaching the Kids Sportsmanship

Message from Rugby WA Community Manager Mitch Hardy:

COACHES PLEASE NOTE:

The Three Cheers Tradition in Junior Rugby Before the Game
    The following should be part of the pre-game briefing by the coach:
    • Leading the three cheers is the responsibility of the team captain. All players should understand that the captain will lead them across for three cheers at full time.
    • For younger players (especially where the team regularly rotates the role of captain), the coach should ask the captain to repeat back to them the traditional greeting. For example, “Wanneroo three cheers for Midland – HipHip, Hooray, HipHip, Hooray, HipHip, Hooray.” This is important because it is amazing how many junior players don’t actually know the name of the team they are playing that day!

At Full Time
    • At full time the captain should call their team together near the centre of the field.
    • All parents and coaches remain a respectful distance away.
    • Note that if the players forget about the three cheers (as often happens in younger age groups), the coach turns to the captain and says, “John, please lead your team over for the three cheers”.
    • Note that the three cheers happen immediately after the full time whistle (and before the players go off, have a drink or launch into a team song). The time for team songs is sometime after the three cheers are completed.

PROCEDURE
    • As the teams approach, players start shaking hands. The team captain says, “Kalamunda three cheers for Cottesloe……….”.
    • The other team captain replies, “Kalamunda three cheers for Cottesloe……”
    • Then either team captain says, “And three cheers for the ref…….”.
    • All players shake hands as they leave the area.

If all clubs follow the above procedure we believe it will have the following benefits:
    • It puts our junior players in control – an important leadership experience.
    • It ends the game in a positive and sportsmanlike manner.
    • It upholds the traditions of rugby.

We would very much appreciate your co-operation in this initiative. We believe that your help in this area will help to uphold the traditions of rugby.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    That sounds like a great idea to build sportsmanship.

At what age do they learn to bitch about the refs?

vCash
    ive never had a game were that hasnt happend. im a captin and i do it every time and shake the refs hand because if we dont we dont get bonus points for sportsmanship.

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Depends on which club they play for...

Hey Larry, there is a controversy going on over here in Australian Rules Football circles over an under 14s game where a parent (adult male) came on to the playing field, knocked a kid from the opposing team to the ground and punched him unconscious.

We've still got a way to go before descending to that level, thank God.

vCash
    That's crazy! Although it happens here on a regular basis in many different sports.

My comment was more in reference to all the whining I read about the refs on this site. How soon we forget the lessons we were taught at a young age.

vCash
    No point whining at the referees - they're deaf as well as blind!

Brother Gallagher I hear you

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Larry the big difference to note is that in all "American" sports - please forgive me for the generalisation(American Football, Baseball, Basketball). You have either a very large amount of on-field officials or a large number of teams therefore the number of Officials is huge.

In a sport like Rugby Union in Australia, or for that matter high class Test Match Rugby you are dealing with a very small number of teams and there fore a very small number of Senior Officials qualified to officiate in those games.

These officials quickly become well known as they are there in the middle of the ground by themselves, and are are constantly employed.

Hope that clarifies

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jazza93
    ive never had a game were that hasnt happend. im a captin and i do it every time and shake the refs hand because if we dont we dont get bonus points for sportsmanship.
    So you only give the ref a cheer and shake his/her hand to get a bonus point?

Nothing to do with sportsmanship? Or to acknowledge they are volunteering their time?

(Yes, that's right, we don't get paid. We receive what is termed "reimbursement of expenses" at year's end and it's about $15 per game)

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Hey Ecky!!! Can I borrow some money

From what I have seen in the country all junior sporting codes do this.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryNJ
    My comment was more in reference to all the whining I read about the refs on this site. How soon we forget the lessons we were taught at a young age.
    No Larry we never forget about being polite and thanking the ref in a game. I still do it, but now after a game I can sit and have beer with him/her and let them know where they went wrong - at this point I learn about the laws and what I didn't see.

and as for parents attacking players on the field - it has been known to happen in senior games also. I witnessed an umbrella attack club names will not be mentioned, and also a team mate whose jaw was brocken by a pitch invader (with can in hand). So - it not just AFL and its not just juniors. There are idiots all over this land.

vCash
    The guy who got done for this incident in the under 14's game was recently a coach for one of the local rugby teams. Lucky he left rugby and went to AFL before this incident happened!

vCash
    Here's a real A**hole!!

How we treat the refs!

Last edited by LarryNJ; 08-08-07 at 17:13.

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Wow Larry, that is unbelievable.

Well, I'm glad that Rugby WA are encouraging teams to maintain rugbys traditional values. This type of sporting behaviour is what makes rugby so special and, I believe, makes the juniors who play it into quality upstanding men. It's a shame most other sports forget this.

Just happy to be here

vCash
    Thats beyond overboard, though the kid in the second one prob. got whiplash from the ref...what has junior sport come to? My brother's footy club have had numerous incidents this year, none of which have been reported to the media so just think how many other cases there are out there. I umpire netball and junior games are ridiculous to umpire....youd think from the drivel that comes out of some of the parents' and coachs' mouths that the kids are playing for a freakin' world title or something!! No wonder why they have trouble getting ppl to officiate!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The EnForcer
    makes the juniors who play it into quality upstanding men.
    Oh I must have been mistaken, I thought you played juniors!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast