Thread: Joey only 'good for banter'

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Joey only 'good for banter'

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...012430,00.html

August 07, 2007

ALL Andrew Johns could add to the Wallabies' World Cup squad is "good banter", according to former rugby international Garrick Morgan.
    And the ex-Wallabies lock has also taken aim at Mat Rogers, describing the dual international's criticism of the looming Australian Rugby Championship (ARC) as "narrow-minded".
    Wallabies coach John Connolly is reportedly keen to take Johns to France and World Cup-winning mentor Bob Dwyer has implored the Australian Rugby Union to headhunt the league great.
    However, Morgan, 37, said if Australia were going to add anyone to the coaching staff so close to the World Cup it should be someone from the "rugby fraternity" and not Johns.
    "What can he (Johns) add? He might have some good banter to keep the boys relaxed, most probably," the 24-Test Wallaby of the 1990s said.
    "Joey is one of the greatest rugby league players ever, he never played rugby, but I am sure he would have been a great player. But I don't know about bringing someone in this close to the World Cup.
    "They should have been organised before this. If he (Johns) can come along to one or two sessions and help out that's fine.
    "But I am not sure if you have to take him. I would rather take someone like Tim Horan or John Eales who have been there done that, who are part of the rugby fraternity."
    Morgan - who famously switched codes in the 1990s for an ill-fated South Queensland Crushers stint - had a shot at another convert, Rogers, following his ARC criticism.
    Rogers said in his website column recently that the ARC didn't stand "a snowflake's chance in hell of surviving" and would send the ARU broke.
    After ending an 18-season playing career on July 28 in Queensland Premier Rugby grand final, Morgan has taken up an assistant role under former World Cup coach John Boe with one of Queensland's two ARC teams, the East Coast Aces.
    Morgan said it was disappointing that Rogers had a crack at rugby after moving back to the NRL team the Gold Coast Titans this year.
    "It's a bit narrow-minded but at the same time he's got his own opinion, I have got my opinion," he said.
    "I've made mistakes in my lifetime but I'm sure this time Australian rugby hasn't made a mistake - and Mat might have."
    Morgan also appeared to take a swipe at Rogers when asked if he expected more league players to switch codes following the defection of Parramatta star Timana Tahu.
    "With rugby you've got to pick a special type of person, all-round athlete that can fit into any sport - it's when you let anyone in the door, that's when the problems occur," he said.
    "They (ARU) picked some big personalities (from league in the past). It took a while for some of them to come around and by the time they come around they finished their contract and they've gone back to their own sport.
    "So as far as I am concerned you are better off developing someone when they are a bit younger."
    The inaugural ARC season kicks off this weekend.
    - AAP

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    who cares its only a bonus to the team i dont see why not

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Hey Garrick, your bums missing your head.
    The team who wins the World Cup will have to have the 1%ers to use. If Joey can give the Wallabies their 1% he should be in France

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    joey johns would bring a world of experience to the wallabies, not only will he work with them on there kicking game which he was a master of, he will keep them on the right track throughout the whole tournament which could lead to mortlock holding up that golden cup!!

Apprentice
    vCash
    Mate, I totally agree. Johns is a LEGEND. Just having a guy like that who commands such respect in camp, on your side, does wonders for morale.

Garrick who? Garrick Morgan played so long ago, and turned his back on the game to be a failure in League anyway. Hardly an opinion worth respecting, let alone publishing!

Last edited by acarroll; 08-08-07 at 08:49. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    All this argument over John's joining the coaching squad is academic anyway. He is contracted to Channel 9 to provide commentary for the NRL until the 29ths September. Only after that he can jump on a plane and help out.