Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Laws Explained - Part II - Law 11 Offside and Onside in General Play

vCash

The Laws Explained - Part II - Law 11 Offside and Onside in General Play

Ok Sports Fans, here's the law that is, in my experience, one of the least understood by the spectators. Let's examine just what the law says and then put some perspective to it. (Bear in mind this is General Play here; there are other laws relating to offside at specific phases of the game)

In general play a player is offside if the player is in front of a team mate who is carrying the ball, or in front of a team mate who last played the ball.
    Offside means that a player is temporarily out of the game. Such players are liable to be penalised if they take part in the game.

So, just because they are in an offside position, doesn't mean they will be penalised. They are liable to be penalised if they take part in the game. This could mean by playing the ball, or by advancing towards an opponent, or just being in the way. Basically, if an opponent is affected by the player in an offside position (eg has to change direction to avoid the player, or can only pass the ball one way) then the offside player should be penalised. If, for example, the player in the offside position is the right winger standing near the touch line and play is way over the other side of the pitch, the offside dude is unlikely to be affecting play and should not be penalised.

Sometimes things just look wrong but, if it's general play and the player isn't affecting play, well, play on.

Advice to players: If you are in an offside position and in the process of retiring, or even standing still, trying really hard not to affect play, why put your hands up? We can see you anyway, even if your hands are down by your sides! Just get out of the way of play and we'll ignore you. It's harder to ignore you if you're waving your arms about...

Oh yeah, another thing. Consider the tackle: When it is only a tackle (ie before it becomes a ruck) the only offside that applies is within immediate proximity of that tackle. Everywhere else on the field is "General Play" and players are not necessarily able to be penalised for offside regardless of where they stand. Especially if the players' team is not in possession of the ball. Once it stops being a tackle and turns into a ruck, then the offside line runs the width of the field. If it stops being a tackle because the ball-carrier passed it to a team-mate, that's General Play - tackle him!

Hope this helps. More to come when the mood next strikes...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Nice work Ecky
    Is it an automatic Offside if an attacker passes the ball into a defender in an Offside position?
    Case in mind being Gregan passing from the Ruck into a player resulting in a clearing touch kick. I think it was in Melbourne...
    Assume it is but wondered if there may be a different call for doing deliberately (ie milking a Penalty etc) and say getting a Scrum or Free Kick instead?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky
    Advice to players: If you are in an offside position and in the process of retiring, or even standing still, trying really hard not to affect play, why put your hands up? We can see you anyway, even if your hands are down by your sides! Just get out of the way of play and we'll ignore you. It's harder to ignore you if you're waving your arms about...
    Well I'll be a monkeys uncle.

vCash
    You probably will be a monkeys uncle one day beaver, hehehe....

Nice work Ecky...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    Nice work Ecky
    Is it an automatic Offside if an attacker passes the ball into a defender in an Offside position?
    Case in mind being Gregan passing from the Ruck into a player resulting in a clearing touch kick. I think it was in Melbourne...
    Assume it is but wondered if there may be a different call for doing deliberately (ie milking a Penalty etc) and say getting a Scrum or Free Kick instead?
    Yes, as he is affecting play (even though retiring), he shall be pinged. If he doesn't want to get penalised he should stay right out of the way, or lie down or something - anything except be in the way of the ball.

Gregan does it all the time, not just in Mebourne! It's a great tactic to "milk" a penalty, but legally!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    ok..heres one....an attacking player in front of the ball when kicked....does he get a chance to get back on side or the kicker put him onside or is it an instant penalty?

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry
    ok..heres one....an attacking player in front of the ball when kicked....does he get a chance to get back on side or the kicker put him onside or is it an instant penalty?
    If you don't mind, this is my attempt at answering this

I would say it its possible to be instantly penalised or having the opportunity of getting onside.

if the offside player, was continuing to run forward towards the play and remaining offside, he would be penalised. if the offside player "paused" to allow the kicker to put him onside it would be play on.

Ecky this is an excellent series of posts - congratulations, keep it up!

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Exile
    If you don't mind, this is my attempt at answering this

I would say it its possible to be instantly penalised or having the opportunity of getting onside.

if the offside player, was continuing to run forward towards the play and remaining offside, he would be penalised. if the offside player "paused" to allow the kicker to put him onside it would be play on.

Ecky this is an excellent series of posts - congratulations, keep it up!
    Firstly, please remember I am not going through the entire law, just the bits that are most commonly, um, how do I put this, misinterpreted by those watching. And some players. If you read the whole law, kindly posted by Coach, you will see there are things the player in an offside position can do to get himself onside. One thing he definitely can not do is keep advancing.

And secondly, thanks Exile, more to come! I will post some stuff from time to time based on my experiences with players, coaches and spectators and their apparent non-understanding, or misunderstanding of the laws.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I'm not sure whether it would be governed by the rules related to the scrum or general play, but I was curious about the Leonard intercept a couple of weeks ago. The way I saw it he took off as Hoiles disengaged from the scrum, but was well ahead of the ball before the pass was actually made/ball left the hands. I've seen all manner of opinions, but was that offside?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky
    Gregan does it all the time, not just in Mebourne! It's a great tactic to "milk" a penalty, but legally!
    Fair enough too. It would be a rare case where the offside player could not avoid such a contact if he really wanted.

Gerry. What vOdds will you make for this becoming a popular and long running forum?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS
    I'm not sure whether it would be governed by the rules related to the scrum or general play, but I was curious about the Leonard intercept a couple of weeks ago. The way I saw it he took off as Hoiles disengaged from the scrum, but was well ahead of the ball before the pass was actually made/ball left the hands. I've seen all manner of opinions, but was that offside?
    Happened at scrum time = scrum law, not general play. There are offsides in the scrum law but I haven't got to them yet....

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Yeah, I wasn't quite sure when the scrum was called over in that instance. It might be a good example when you do get to discussing offside at the scrum.

vCash
    The most recent ugly offence against this law is, in my opinion, the Brumbies-inspired "decoy runner" play which has now been adopted by all international sides.

Call me old-fashioned (or just plain old) but each and every instance of this play should be penalised, with yellow cards flourished at the first repetition.

Supporters of the decoy runner play will say that he is not materially interfering in play and is helping to open up a too-cluttered defensive field.

I don't agree. The offside rule is one of the sacred central precepts of rugby union and there is no logical reason for any player to be in front of the ball at any time, other than those players retiring to get back on side. Decoy runners are by their very nature obviously not retiring, in fact they're deliberately running in front of the ball to distract defenders.

I find this a very negative, obstructive development and it is a pity it is currently being allowed by refereeing interpretations internationally. Rugby ideally should be a game rewarding positive, open play. Unfortunately the current direction of international refereeing seems to be influenced by negative, defensive plays. In my opinion, this is not accidental, but is orchestrated by the unfortunate and unfair preponderance of British representatives on the IRB in an attempt to make their mediocre, 'B' division sides competitive, and this over-structured Brumbies style of play is playing right into their hands.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rick boyd
    The most recent ugly offence against this law is, in my opinion, the Brumbies-inspired "decoy runner" play
    It's certainly becoming one of the more confusing areas to interpret. If you take Eckys idea that players in an offside position are temporarily out of the game but should not be penalised unless they take part in the play then "decoy running" would seem to be an offence - the player is advancing and taking part in the game in an offside position.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I'm not sure I subscribe to the idea that the IRB is allowing it to keep their teams competitive. The decoy runners are not taking part in the play, but they are committing defenders by sowing uncertainty as to whether they might. Decoy runners are a response to the extremely robust defensive lines that the professional game has fostered and, if you take them out, the only way to commit defenders is by forward play. I would have thought that would have far more played to NH strengths.

I have no problem with back play based on forward play (in fact, I love it), but it would likely make for less tries. What will it be then, 13 men or bigger grounds? It potentially makes for an interesting discussion - decoy runners are a tactical response to the way the rules are written and applied...I wonder what tactics, attractive or otherwise, might develop from the Stellenbosch rules.

Last edited by AndyS; 03-08-07 at 19:05.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast