Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Laws Explained - Part II - Law 11 Offside and Onside in General Play

vCash
    you need a really good ref to pick everyone of those rules broken in one of our games, but it might be harder for them because of how quick the game is played.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS
    The decoy runners are not taking part in the play, but they are committing defenders by sowing uncertainty as to whether they might.
    I'm playing devils advocate here because I also like to see well executed plays in the game, and as you say decoys are part of that. But, even if indirectly, I think they are taking part in play. But I'm no expert and I'd be interested in Ecky's take on that.

Since coaches & players have become full time pros (and this applies to both codes) the patterns of play and the skills with which they are executed have evolved at a scorching pace. I reckon there's quite a few referees who haven't really been able to keep pace. Penalties awarded for "crossing" can be mystifying at times.

Adjudicating the obstruction law in Rugby League in particular has become a bit of a dogs breakfast. The interpretation edict at the start of season 2007 was so ridiculous that the NRL changed it mid-season. At one stage I saw a stationary first receiver penalised for obstruction when passing the ball back to the half back in the old standard "wrap around" play. Cost a try too.

There's no easy answer either. Whatever interpretations the ruling bodies might issue, in the end it's comes down to the opinion of the match officials on the day. What might be applied in a try-scoring situation will probably go unchecked many times in general play.

vCash
    DECOY RUNNERS

Are not penalised (when they are penalised) for being offside - under Law 11 or any other Law that has offside to it.

They are penalised under Law 10 - Foul Play.

So I shall not be commenting on that in this, if you see what I mean. I shall comment, in due course, in a different thread.

I know you won't mind...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2