Thread: The Laws Explained - Part I - Law 15 Tackle

vCash

The Laws Explained - Part I - Law 15 Tackle

So, for all you rugby watchers, but more particularly current players and especially coaches, I thought now would be a great time to explain some of these laws in a bit more details so you can be more tolerant of the referee when the decision seems a bit mystifying.

Everyone seems to think that the first thing that must happen after a tackle occurs is that the ball carrier must give the ball up to anyone on their feet trying to get the pill. Not so.

Firstly, we need to establish the following things:
    Is it a tackle? The law says the ball carrier must be brought to the ground, while held by an opponent. So, if he goes to ground, having been tripped by an opponent, but not held, it's not a tackle. Play on.

Is there a tackler? This is the big question. The one that very few players or coaches seem to understand. The law says Opposition players who hold the ball carrier and bring that player to ground, and who also go to ground, are known as tacklers. OK? See that? He's only a tackler if he also goes to ground. The law goes on to say Opposition players who hold the ball carrier and do not go to ground are not tacklers. So, if you brought the ball carrier to ground and kept hold of him, he's tackled but you are not a tackler in law. So you have to get onside before you can grab the ball.

Now, once we have established whether it is a tackle and whether there are any tacklers, we turn our attention to other aspects of this law, like
    (a) When a player tackles an opponent and they both go to ground, the tackler must immediately release the tackled player.
    (b) The tackler must immediately get up or move away from the tackled player and from the ball at once.
    (c) The tackler must get up before playing the ball.

So, the first thing that must happen after a tackle is the tackler releases and moves away from the tackled player. (What this doesn't mean is that he can get back onto his own side of the tackle by climbing over the tackled player. Just let go and get out of there) Then, if he wants to have a go at the ball, he must be on his feet. This can be from anywhere provided a ruck hasn't formed, in which case he must come through the gate like any arriving player.

OK? Still with me? Bear in mind this is all happening at great speed (well, maybe not in 5ths & 6ths where slow-motion is more the order of the day) and the ref has to be making these determinations.

Anyway, once the tackler has done his bit, then attention can be turned to the tackled player:
    (a) A tackled player must not lie on, over, or near the ball to prevent opponents from gaining possession of it, and must try to make the ball available immediately so that play can continue.
    (b) A tackled player must immediately pass the ball or release it. That player must also get up or move away from it at once.
    (c) A tackled player may release the ball by putting it on the ground in any direction, provided this is done immediately.
    (d) A tackled player may release the ball by pushing it along the ground in any direction except forward, provided this is done immediately.
    (e) If opposition players who are on their feet attempt to play the ball, the tackled player must release the ball.

Most people know this part of the law but very few seem to realise the tackler is first to do things.

It's getting a bit long now - as is this post - so I'll stop here for the moment and let youse guys digest this bit and post some more later.

DISCLAIMER: My use of the masculine gender is for ease of reference. I mean no disrespect to the feminine gender who play and, obviously, "he/his" means "she/her" in those cases. If any offence has been taken, please feel free to get over it

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Player
    vCash
    does anyone have those new laws being used in the arc in detail? they should post them as a thread so evryone can figur out what the hell is going on come arc

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Our fearless leader spoils us at times felix

http://thewholeforce.com/showthread.php?t=9137

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky
    Is there a tackler?
    Now, once we have established whether it is a tackle and whether there are any tacklers, we turn our attention to other aspects of this law, like
    (a) When a player tackles an opponent and they both go to ground, the tackler must immediately release the tackled player.
    (b) The tackler must immediately get up or move away from the tackled player and from the ball at once.
    (c) The tackler must get up before playing the ball.

[/SIZE][/I]
    Well posted Ecky, I understand the laws I just have a problem with the tackler leting go. When I was younger - you got your man on the deck and held on. WHY - cause If I let go, he gets up and starts running again (bloody backs).

This is where interpretation by the ref has to come in, but what is happening now is that people are tackled (both players go to ground) the tackler releases and the tackled player trys to get up and play the ball again. Then a 2nd opponent grabs him and the first tackler is in there also. It gets to almost a 50/50 toss up of which way any offence goes.

Its still a bit messy - that why we have people in white with a whistle.

Hopefully the Stellenbosh rules may help.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hopep
    Well posted Ecky, I understand the laws I just have a problem with the tackler leting go. When I was younger - you got your man on the deck and held on. WHY - cause If I let go, he gets up and starts running again (bloody backs).

This is where interpretation by the ref has to come in, but what is happening now is that people are tackled (both players go to ground) the tackler releases and the tackled player trys to get up and play the ball again. Then a 2nd opponent grabs him and the first tackler is in there also. It gets to almost a 50/50 toss up of which way any offence goes.
    Yes, well, what it boils down to is the ref being there to see the first bit (the tackle) and then ruling on what happens next. It is very often the case that the ref picks up the second infringement, which is usually the tackled player not releasing, and not the first infringement, which is commonly the tackler not releasing the tackled player.

Quote Originally Posted by hopep
    Its still a bit messy - that why we have people in white with a whistle.
    White? we have a bit of white but it's mainly not-white!!!!!