Bad boy rapper takes up rugby

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

He's a rapper whose south London band once attracted violence and plaudits for their musical inventiveness in equal measure.

But Mark Osei-tutu, better known as Neutrino of the notorious English rap group So Solid Crew, now has a very different focus - playing rugby union at his local club.

Osei-tutu, who was raised on the tough streets of Brixton, said he was looking for a new challenge after working out in the gym and playing football.

He became hooked on rugby after his first training session at London Cornish and has already made a first appearance in the back-row for the Battersea-based club.

"I'd been going to the gym for four or five years and put on a lot of muscle mass and although I'd been playing football I didn't really feel I was getting enough out of it," Osei-tutu said.

"I'd watched rugby on TV growing up. We didn't have the chance to play it at school but I'd always been curious about getting involved."

It's all a far cry from the hey-day of the 30-strong So Solid Crew, who burst onto the scene with a number one single 21 Seconds in 2001.

But they were never far away from controversy.

One group member, Darren Weir, was accused of assaulting a 15-year-old schoolgirl while two men were shot at a show in London, although none of the group was involved.

Ashley Walters, who used the name Asher D, was then sentenced to 18 months in a young offenders' institution for gun possession.

Neutrino was the inpsiration for albums such as Bound 4 Da Reload and a number of top 20 singles.

"I came across the London Cornish website on the internet and they said anyone was welcome even if they hadn't played before. So I got in touch and I started training straight away," said Osei-tutu of his rugby conversion.

"The attraction of the sport is that it's really skilful, it takes a lot of thinking, there's lots of strategy and it's physical, fast and fun. No matter what you can do you'll always be involved and participating.

"I do speak to a lot of young kids round the housing estates and when I say I play rugby they're a bit surprised. But when I explain it to them they take a keen interest.

"I know rugby is perceived as a white, middle-class sport and maybe it needs to rid itself of that and if I can do anything to help do that it's great."

Dickon Moon, the director of rugby at London Cornish, said: "A number of players have joined us in the past by just spotting us training and asking if they could get involved but none have made as big an impression as Mark.

"He is a powerful unit and is incredibly keen to learn. He has attended every session since he started and our only problem now is to work out where to play him.

"We are hoping that his involvement may inspire other potential players from communities not normally associated with rugby union to get involved with their local clubs."

AFP