Thread: Trouble at the Mill...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Trouble at the Mill...

The splits in camp Wallaby

Greg Growden
    Monday, July 30, 2007

Monday Maul

The Wallabies' World Cup campaign is under threat of being derailed because of a major rift involving the coaching staff, which has prompted the intervention of Australian Rugby Union officials. Also, many senior players have lost confidence in several members of the Australian team management, with the belief being that some officials are more ego-driven than having the team's welfare as their No.1 priority.

ARU sources last night told Monday Maul that there were "deep concerns" that the team will be seriously affected by the intensifying divisions within the camp, which rose to a head at the John Eales Medal function in Brisbane last Monday night.

Monday Maul has been told by several sources that at the function, Wallabies team officials bickered, and in front of stunned onlookers, at least one had "heated arguments" with high-ranking ARU figures. These officials were surprised at how sensitive some members of the Wallabies coaching staff had become, especially as it is understood one of them had to be coaxed into remaining at the function.

Although the team management has deliberately attempted to hide this issue from the players, the Wallabies squad are fully aware of it, with the subject being a major source of conversation among them for some time. Wallabies players are known to have taken great delight on John Eales Medal night in observing the unusual behaviour of one of their coaches, whom they believe was deliberately trying to gain greater exposure for himself.

The relationship between the four-man Australian panel of head coach John Connolly, his assistants Michael Foley and Scott Johnson and defensive coach John Muggleton has regularly been edgy. They are four vastly different characters, and it is no secret that several of them are not close. It is known that if one gets more mentions in the media or at public gatherings than another, jealousy arises. This even occurred at the long and rambling Eales Medal function, held at the cavernous Brisbane Convention Centre, where during the official speeches different members of the coaching staff were singled out for praise.

The competition between Connolly's three back-up coaching members has often been seen to be intense, with Muggleton's role in the team in particular being under-estimated at times.

Muggleton's mood has also not been helped by him being overlooked for the Queensland Reds coaching position next season, especially as he failed to gain support from a number of ARU identities, who could have helped his cause.

This uneasy situation has also been promoted by Connolly generally taking a back seat role at training.

Unlike predecessors Bob Dwyer and Eddie Jones, who took a hands-on approach, Connolly very much stays in the background at training. He acts as an overseer, with Johnson the man with the whistle and the one barking the bulk of the instructions. When the team has middle-of-the-field pow-wows, Johnson does most of the talking. Foley runs the forwards, while Muggleton organises the defensive drills.

Connolly generally wanders from one group to another, offering the occasional advice or instruction.

Nonetheless, anyone who attended Wallabies training for the first time would not pick Connolly as the head coach. Most would assume it was Johnson. (I would agree with that observation based on the Perth public session)

Training is a well-drilled process. But this has not stopped private complaints that the schedule has become stale - with the training sessions generally taking a similar course. There is a lack of spontaneity.

The fragile nature of the squad has also been on show at press conferences over the past year. Last season, when the Wallabies named their Test teams, all members of the coaching staff attended the press conferences. At times Connolly looked genuinely ill at ease when Johnson answered questions with honesty, or hammed it up - such as last year before the Brisbane Bledisloe Cup match when, accused of spying at All Blacks training sessions, he produced his combat gear. This year the formula has been changed, and Johnson has hardly been sighted.

The assistant coaches are now in a rotation system, and only one attends the conference, sitting alongside Connolly. At a recent press conference in Sydney Muggleton was alongside Connolly, but the defence coach was not asked a question by the large media contingent, not helping the mood within the Wallaby team environment.

Another potentially divisive factor has been the recent use of league great Andrew Johns at training sessions. Johns's role in improving the kicking skills of various back-line players, as well as showing them how to beat a man in attack, has irked one Wallaby coaching staff member who believes his authority could be affected if Johns becomes a regular assistant during the World Cup. As one source said: "This guy looks upon Joey Johns as a serious threat."

The announcement of the Wallabies squad did not help matters either. There has been intensifying criticism about the perceived Queensland bias in the squad, with virtually each fringe selection going the Reds' way. The inclusion of veteran forward Matt Cockbain in the back-up squad has astounded many, as did Connolly's comments that Reds five-eighth Berrick Barnes was picked for the final World Cup back-line spot on 2006 form and not 2007 form.

There is also uneasiness between the Wallabies and head office. Connolly had an intensely strong relationship with the former ARU chief executive Gary Flowers, not surprising considering he gave him the national job. Connolly is nowhere near as close with his new boss, John O'Neill, even though the chief executive has told him that past differences are exactly that, and it is now time for everyone to work together. However Connolly remains "edgy" around O'Neill.

Nonetheless, the Wallabies keep saying that everything is fine, and they will get over all these petty differences. But it will require strong leadership from O'Neill down to get the Wallabies back on track before they head to France in less than a month.

That's why this week's three-day Wallabies camp in Sydney is so crucial in getting everybody focused again.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Don't you sleep Burgs???? I just read that in my weekly rugby heaven, i just received. How do you get that big a jump on me....

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

vCash
    Pie Growden is a really happy camper. Misery loves company I spose.

Too bad I missed you in Sydney FR, next time mate!!

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Rugby 24/7 Frontrow
    Had been up watching the end of le Toure de France (hence the avatar, go Cadel!) and did a final sweep of the old favs

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Well Bugger Me!!!! How did a group of 15 year old girls get the job of coaching the Wallabies??

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    'Speech snub made me walk out'AKA Poor Little Petal...

Rupert Guinness and Greg Growden
    Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Wallabies defensive coach John Muggleton has revealed he was the coach who angrily walked out at the John Eales Medal dinner last week after feeling he was snubbed by Australian Rugby Union president Paul McLean.

Muggleton yesterday told the Herald that he left the dining room of the Brisbane Convention Centre after McLean failed to recognise him in his opening address, while acknowledging Wallabies head coach John Connolly and his two assistants, Scott Johnson (backs coach) and Michael Foley (forwards).

Muggleton's candid explanation of the events of Monday last week follows yesterday's report in the Herald of a rift within the Wallabies coaching panel that is worrying the ARU and Wallabies players. The Herald also knows many senior players have lost confidence in other members of the Wallabies coaching staff, with the belief being that some team officials make ego, rather than having the team's welfare, their No.1 priority.

Neither ARU chief executive John O'Neill nor Connolly would comment on the report yesterday. But McLean told the Herald that he doesn't "sense" any personality problems within the Wallabies management.

Muggleton also denied any rift, although he said there was one "12 months ago" when the coaching panel formed. But he admitted that he felt his contribution to the Wallabies was not given due recognition by McLean.

Soon after McLean's faux pas, Muggleton left his table and the dining room to contemplate leaving the gala awards dinner altogether. He said soon after Connolly joined him to discuss his display of disappointment.

"My problem is, mate … there are three assisting coaches and I have been there for a long period of time and [when] the president can't remember your name, it makes you wonder," Muggleton told the Herald. "I was … unhappy about it. But I talked to John about it. He put it into perspective.

"I did leave the room but [that] was to go out and have a think about it and cool down a bit because it was very disappointing. I can be a bit fiery. But I prefer to take myself out of the situation first, have a think about it and then do what I think is appropriate. That's when John came and talked to me. He obviously knew what I was thinking about it.

"I hadn't made up my mind if I was going to stay or not at that stage. He was very supportive."

McLean last night said he regretted not crediting Muggleton in his speech and let Muggleton know, adding: "It was a mistake on my part. I apologised straight after it and have well and truly moved on since then."

But Muggleton explained how his response to McLean's attempt to apologise led to his again leaving his table, but this time to confront the ARU president at his table.

"I did tell him [McLean] I was unhappy about it. After the speech, when he came off the stage, he said, 'It was an honest mistake'," Muggleton said. "He came to my table first, and then there was one point that I needed to clear up with him. So I went and spoke to him briefly [at McLean's table]. I told him what I thought of the situation and that is where it finished."

Muggleton, full-time with the Wallabies since just before the 1999 World Cup, when Rod Macqueen was head coach, was not surprised by speeches later in the evening by O'Neill, Eales and Wallabies captain Stirling Mortlock, in which he was duly recognised for his efforts.

"The blokes I coach know my ability as a coach and 'Ealesy' was one of the blokes I coached. He obviously remembers that," Muggleton said, adding that he had also coached Mortlock at the Gordon club for almost a decade.

"They realise that recognition is important to me. Money is not important to me, but if you do a good job, I am the sort of person who, all he wants, is somebody to say, 'Yeah, you did a good job'."

However, while denying there are divisions among the Wallabies coaches that threaten to derail their World Cup, Muggleton said they found it hard working together when they were first brought together.

"There was tension last year, getting to know each other again. And when you have a change in coach you have a change in philosophy as well. We struggled a bit for the first couple of months," he said.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I hope this is not just spin from the big fella.
    In their defence (re disagreements) reminds me of the saying, "If everyone is thinking the same thing, somebody isn't thinking!" or words to that effect.

Connolly denies coaching rift AKA "But he would say that"

By Bret Harris and Wayne Smith
    July 31, 2007

AUSTRALIA coach John Connolly has dismissed suggestions that a rift in the coaching staff threatens to ruin the team's chances at the Rugby World Cup in France, starting in September.

A report claimed the relationship of the four-man coaching staff of Connolly, Michael Foley (restarts), Scott Johnson (attack) and John Muggleton (defence) was "edgy" and there were intense divisions within the camp.

"We've got no problems," Connolly said yesterday.

"It's a shame this story has come out when there are so many good things in the game.

"Most people are feeling positive and confident about the World Cup. This story does the game no good.

"It's the greatest beat-up of all time. We have a lot of coaches meetings and a lot of debate. The coaching team was put together because we wanted the best people and strong personalities.

"Of course, there will be differences. We have discussions and debate and then we decide what we are going to do."

While the coaching staff may not be fractured, it is certainly fractious.

Former Australian Rugby Union chief executive Gary Flowers appointed the coaching staff on the recommendation of former Wallabies coach Rod Macqueen and former team captain Simon Poidevin.

The ARU wanted to get away from the dominant coaching style of Eddie Jones, and there was a conscious decision to empower the assistant coaches.

Connolly's main role is to oversee the coaching of the team and manage the coaches, which is a difficult job at times.

The relationship between Connolly and Foley is extremely close, personally and philosophically.

While Connolly gets on well with Johnson, their views on the way the game should be played are poles apart. Connolly is a conservative who promotes a forward-oriented game based on kicking for field position, while Johnson is more adventurous, preferring to use ball-in-hand and the width of the field.

It is understood that Connolly does not have the same rapport with Muggleton, who has been the Wallabies' defence coach since the late 1990s and was a key figure in the 1999 Rugby World Cup victory. Muggleton is seen by some as a frustrated head coach, and feels his contribution to the team is overlooked.

Muggleton walked out of the John Eales medal dinner in Brisbane last Monday night after ARU president Paul McLean forgot to mention him when acknowledging the assistant coaches, and he he had to be pacified by Connolly.

A former Paramatta and Australia rugby league player, Muggleton said he was still viewed as "mungo" by rugby officialdom.

"I've worked for the Wallabies for 10 years now and you'd think that someone would remember my name and I'm committed to this team," Muggleton said.

"I've seen a lot of people come and go.

"It's just disappointing that people can't see past that and say 'he's done well'.

"There should be some recognition. I know it sounds selfish, but if they just want me to be a defensive coach, give me that name and don't call me an assistant coach."

Muggleton was adamant he had no issues with his fellow coaches after working through their teething problems. But there is an element of competitiveness between the assistant coaches, which may be fuelled in part by post Rugby World Cup ambitions and conflicting agendas.

There was previously a clear demarcation line between a backs and forwards coach, but the responsibilities of assistant coaches have increasingly overlapped as the game has evolved.

For example, an attack coach may have a preference for ball-running forwards, while a restarts coach is perhaps more interested in a player's ability at the set pieces.

There is no doubt there were divisions in the coaching staff last year, particularly on the Wallabies' tour of Europe.

But Flowers facilitated a meeting between the coaches early in the year to ensure they were on the same page heading into the Rugby World Cup.

Rugby insiders do not believe differences of opinion among the coaching staff are sufficient to adversely affect the Rugby World Cup campaign.

"I've enjoyed the working relationship with the coaches and players this season," Foley said.

"Last season was different. I was coaching (English club) Bath two weeks before Australia played and there was no time to plan.

"This season we sat down and planned as much as we could and it has been very beneficial.

"Differences of opinion are not unique to this coaching staff.

"We tackled those things and agree on each and every aspect of our play. Those different views have not been apparent this year because we've had the time to discuss things."

- additional reporting by AAP

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Tension yes, division no: Mortlock

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Captain Stirling Mortlock and head coach John Connolly have hosed down reports of division in the Wallabies camp five weeks out from the start of the Rugby World Cup.

Stories emerged yesterday of tension among the coaching staff after defence mentor John Muggleton stormed out of the John Eales Medal function last week when Australian Rugby Union president Paul McLean omitted to mention him among Connolly's assistants in his speech.

Muggleton - one of three assistant coaches with Scott Johnson and Michael Foley - later explained he felt his work in 10 years with the Wallabies had been under-appreciated by the ARU hierarchy.

Mortlock and Connolly wasted no time declaring the suggestions of division a non-issue when the World Cup squad assembled for its first training camp in Sydney today.

"All the players have the utmost confidence in our coaching staff," Mortlock said.

"We're blessed in Australia to have a great mix, especially in this Wallabies camp.

"You've got Knuckles (Connolly) being the head coach and quality assistant coaches under him who all have their own distinct job descriptions and they all work extremely well in that capacity and together the system works really well.

"Basically in this environment you want to get the best out of everyone and I think to do that you have to have an environment that's conducive to discussion - and maybe even robust discussion at times - in what is in the best interests of the team moving forward.

"I'd certainly prefer that environment than where you're surrounded by people who are constantly saying yes.

"The coaching staff always have an open-door policy for players and coaches alike and this year has been great as far as the mood in the camp and that has been led by the coaching staff."

Connolly said some clashes in the Wallaby camp were inevitable given the vast size of the squad but scotched any suggestion of major divisions.

"We've seen no evidence of it, he said.

"You're going to challenge each other. We've definitely had some robust discussions at times but I think the goal has always been to do as well as we can.

"We have a sterling community made of senior players and it's a player-driven team in that regards.

"We meet with the Gregans and the Mortlocks and the Rocky Elsoms and George Smiths and these guys regularly.

"You've got to get feedback on how we're training, how we are doing things because you've got such a large group and we've never experienced any negative feedback whatsoever of any great degree.

"You've got 45 men traveling the country for six months and you're always going to have ups and downs.

"I think we have all seen that you don't perform and beat the All Blacks in Melbourne and do what you do in South Africa and perform well in the Tri Nations without there being a lot of spirit and commitment in the team.

"We've got a team meeting this afternoon and the four coaches are going to get up and all have a hug in front of the team - a love-in."

AAP

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    "We've got a team meeting this afternoon and the four coaches are going to get up and all have a hug in front of the team - a love-in."

AAP
    I think they have all been in Sydney for too long, Mardi Gra fever is catching

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!