Despite giving away a scrummaging penalty Jerry had a pretty good match and certainly can hold his head high as a factor in the Premiership victory.
The camera zoomed in on him as they ran out and you wouldn't believe the size of his smile, he looked like this bloke
The obvious joy of achieving a dream and debuting on such a huge stage was great to experience.

Rookie bolter in grand final

By Jon Geddes
July 27, 2007 12:00am

A ROOKIE prop has been plucked out of third grade to make his first-grade debut for Sydney University in tomorrow's Shute Shield club rugby grand final against Eastern Suburbs at the SFS.

The elevation of Jerry Yanuyanutawa rivals Jack Gibson's famous selection gamble of unknown centre John Rheinberger in the Roosters side for the 1975 rugby league grand final against St George.

While the Wallabies can earn up to $220,000 for winning the World Cup, Yanuyanutawa is a struggling PE student who also works as a groundsman at the university to help support himself.

Now the 22-year-old battler will go head-to-head with Easts' powerful warhorse Hermani Levaka, the competition's most experienced front-rower.

Until this year, Levaka was playing rugby for Easts on Saturdays and then first- grade rugby league for Parkes on Sundays.

"He has been around for a long time and I have total respect for him," Yanuyanutawa said.

"I'm definitely looking forward to the challenge. I know its going to be tough, but I'm physically and mentally ready for it."

And Yanuyanutawa has the right pedigree to succeed. He is the nephew of Fijian rugby legend Waisale Serevi, who is recognised as the king of sevens rugby.

"He has come to my uncle's house to have a yarn and drink kava," Yanuyanutawa said.

Uni head coach Damien Hill said the club had identified the need to boost their scrum.

"So, for the last six weeks there has been a very open sort of trial with the front rows in first grade, second grade and third grade," he said.

"It has been a hard decision to make.

"But in the last four weeks in particular Jerry has been the standout loosehead prop in the club."

Yanuyanutawa said the competition between the Uni front-rowers had been fierce.

"Everyone in the front row knew a position was up for grabs," he said.

"I just put my hand up and said I wanted to be there.

"We had a 40-minute scrummaging session last Thursday and I couldn't get out of bed on Friday.

"I was thinking 'Man, this is the front row'."

No one was more surprised by his call-up than the 112kg prop himself.

"I started to calm down yesterday," he said.

Before this week his highest rugby honour was playing for the Fijian Under-21s.