Thread: Josh Hannay potentially to replace Hewat

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Josh Hannay potentially to replace Hewat

Hannay to fill Hewat's spot

By Peter Jenkins
    July 28, 2007 12:00am

FORMER Queensland State of Origin centre Josh Hannay is in negotiations with the NSW Waratahs and could be playing rugby union within weeks.

Released last month by NRL club the Sharks, Hannay has met Waratahs coach Ewen McKenzie and is under consideration to boost the goal-kicking stocks of the Super 14 franchise.

Sharpshooter Peter Hewat, the second-highest points scorer in Waratahs history, confirmed yesterday he was heading to England in mid-October to play with London Irish after NSW agreed to terminate the final year of his contract.

Hewat, 29, admitted rejection from the Wallabies brains trust had driven his desire to leave.

As the wing-fullback prepares to depart, opening up an additional spot in the NSW roster, Hannay has been skill and speed tested by the Waratahs over the past fortnight.

"Hannay could play (club football) as soon as next weekend if that's what we wanted to do," McKenzie said.

"He's just come on to the market and he's a recognised goal-kicker.

"He did have something of a union background at school and what I learned this year is that you can't load up your team with guys one year out of school.

"You need experience, and while he has not played the game for a long time, he has runs on the board in terms of playing a competitive level of football."

Hannay played for the Cowboys against the Wests Tigers in the 2005 grand final and was part of the Queensland squad for the last match of the 2006 Origin series.

McKenzie said that if the Waratahs did decide to recruit him - "and we're speaking to a lot of guys" - he could be eased into the game via the Trevor Allan Cup, a Sydney club competition to run parallel with the new Australian Rugby Championship over the next two months.

"If we went that way he could play five or 10 games before the end of the season," added McKenzie, who views Hannay as a potential inside centre.

Hewat will head offshore on a three-year deal after completing his ARC commitments with the Central Coast Rays.

"There's definitely no bitterness from my end," he said.

"NSW have been sensational and Ewen was the one who gave me an opportunity three years ago. The only regret is that I haven't got an Australian cap next to my name.

"They say Super 14 is the breeding ground for a Wallaby jumper and I think I did enough in my three years here to definitely be involved in some sort of squad capacity. But that's all in the past for me now."

Hewat leaves the Waratahs after scoring 636 points in 50 matches, for an average of more than 12.5 a game.

"People will forget in years to come what you did on the field," he said. "You'll only be remembered by what's in the history books and I leave extremely proud of what I achieved with the Tahs."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    There are plenty of sour grapes there, but he just wasn't up to Wallaby standards, which isn't to say there are some who have earned a wallaby jumper who probably shouldn't have...That is one of the current selectors strong points, choosing inconsistent mediocre talent and putting on a gold jumper, rather than allowing the cream of the talent, the ones who have actually earnt the position, to have the chance to play for thier country....And not to mention that political manipulation of the player ranks in relation to state allegiences,ie the number of QLD (and NSW)reps in the current wallabies squad...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

vCash
    you think they would want to develop some of their own grass roots talent? always going for a quick fix by recruiting rugby league players???

vCash
    Damn NSW!! Why are they the only ones who recruit Mungos!!?? Is there something in the water?

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chook
    Damn NSW!! Why are they the only ones who recruit Mungos!!?? Is there something in the water?
    Not quite the only ones but with their past and current experience of mungo players not fulfilling their obligations, one way or another, you'd thing they'd find a different solution, which would also benefit NSW Rugby Union development too. Strange...I guess it may just be the quick fix solution again.

Just happy to be here

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash
    Naa Chook . I put it down to a 'sydney' buisness mentality - 'if it aint working chuck more money at it'.

Its still got me beat, all the other teams/states are keen to grab young players developed in NSW clubs and academy. They just don't seem to appreciate their own talent.
    the result is - a continued exodus of talent from NSW, and the southern hemisphere generally.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Players like....well, Stanners...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I'm hoping the ARC stops some of this - there is a lot of talent out there but it needs honing

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    No Hannay, which probably is a good thing.

Hannay not required by Tahs

Article from: The Daily Telegraph

By Jon Geddes

August 01, 2007 12:00am

THE NSW Waratahs yesterday ended their negotiations with former Queensland State of Origin player Josh Hannay.

Coach Ewen McKenzie had been in talks with the goalkicking back, who was being considered as a possible replacement for the departing pointscoring ace Peter Hewat.

Hannay went through an exhaustive three day skills assessment conducted by Waratahs staff. But in the end it was decided his lack of rugby experience made his signing too much of a risk. "There was a lot to like in terms of his skills and attitude and desire,'' McKenzie said.

The Waratahs were looking at him as an inside centre and McKenzie said that would have been quite challenging and complicated position.

"On the balance we thought there was some risk there.
    We have some other irons in the fire and will look at those,'' McKenzie said.

With Hewat's departure, the Waratahs now have four spots still open for next season's Super 14.

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Hopefully four spots filled from the ARC, there are at least four decent players without contracts in the eight teams. Well seven teams, keep your dirty Eastern hands of the Spirit boys

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    No probs, Spirit boys are off the radar. They have no heart anyways.

Gigsa made me do it

vCash
    I just had to re read your signature, to reassure myself i didn't need to take the chookmeister seriously.....I will let it go...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....