Thread: Farr-Jones: Pack 'not good enough'

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Farr-Jones: Pack 'not good enough'

Some fair points but N F-J here however, I feel if you were to introduce #1 Greg Holmes and #2 Jeremy Paul to the XV with Dunning and Moore to the Bench the Wallaby Scrum would be an entirely more threatening combination.

Pack 'not good enough'

From Peter Jenkins in Auckland
    July 22, 2007

FORMER captain Nick Farr-Jones fears Australia lacks the pack to win the World Cup in France.

Farr-Jones told New Zealand television his concerns were raised by the All Blacks' second-half performance last night, as they squeezed the Wallabies in a territory battle and ground out victory to claim both the Bledisloe Cup and Tri-Nations trophy.

"All five World Cups to date have been won by sides with dominant packs," said Farr-Jones, who lifted the Webb Ellis trophy at Twickenham in 1991. We've won two World Cups in Europe and you can never write these guys off. But let's be honest, you shut us down in the forwards, you wore us down.

"The All Blacks can play many different styles and in those conditions tonight, which were tough, they were able to close it down. Their scrum is strong and (five-eighth) Dan Carter used his left boot well. There are many ways to win a game and they did that in this Test.

"They showed patience and maturity that we didn't see from the All Blacks in Melbourne. They imploded and panicked a few weeks ago. They should never have lost that Test. But they were methodical in the second half here and we didn't look like scoring."

But while Farr-Jones had reservations about the Wallabies securing an unprecedented third World Cup title in October, two-time winner Tim Horan and ARU chief executive John O'Neill claimed Australia is on track.

"They can definitely beat the All Blacks if we meet them in the semi-finals," Horan said.

"The New Zealanders will have doubts in their mind after Australia beat them in Melbourne, and it was reasonably close here."

O'Neill took aim at Wales referee Nigel Owens and his South Africa touch judges Mark Lawrence and Craig Joubert about several decisions that went against the Australians at Eden Park.

He cited a high tackle by All Blacks flanker Jerry Collins on Wallaby rival George Smith that went unchecked.

Even more galling was a ruling that Wallabies skipper Stirling Mortlock caught All Blacks winger Doug Howlett high when replays showed contact across the shoulder.

From the penalty, Carter kicked three points.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash
    I thought the Wallabies scrum had a very solid first half, went into decline (not by much) in the 2nd half. Showing enough promise to do well in RWC - starting to look like a QF standard team.
    I thought it was the loose play that NZ beat us in.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I really wish players would take the lessons they learn when they are players that ..."geez those old players make some stupid statements at times" ...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hopep
    ...starting to look like a QF standard team....
    Crikey, I hope so Hopep!
    If not it means we have lost to Wales and at least one of Fiji, Canada or Japan!
    We may be struggling but we aren't that bad surely???

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    sorry Burgs.
    I think I meant semi-finalists.
    I think we'll win the pool, but then we face either SA or Eng, and on recent form I had doubts of winnning that one. Now I am more confident that we could be the Poms and should be able to do the Bokks again.
    So our most likely SF will be against the AB's.

We still have work to do in the tight-5 and line outs, and I'm yet to understand any 'attack' strategy Connely has (assuming their is one).

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I can go with you on that one then
    I agree although, as I mentioned last week, it wouldn't be the end of the earth to drop the match against Wales and end up on the other side of the draw to NZ.
    That said, I reckon on neutral territory we can give the ABs a run for their money.
    And, if we don't, they may well get the Wallabies '03 syndrome of having played their Final a week early and then lose in the Cup to France/whoever.
    That would be nearly as satisfying

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    it wouldn't be the end of the earth to drop the match against Wales and end up on the other side of the draw to NZ.
    I beg to differ Mr Burgs, I'll be at that game and if it's ok with you I'd like to walk out with a win!!

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Wouldn't be the end of the earth for those without a vested interest

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I hate the concept of "losing" a game to get a better draw.
    It sets up a dangerously unstable physchology within a team. and yes, on away soil the ABs are beatable, and by the squad we have.