Smit to lead South Africa at World Cup

Sunday, July 22, 2007

Springbok coach Jake White named a predictable 30-man squad for the Rugby World Cup in France on Saturday.

Hooker John Smit will lead an experienced group boasting 833 caps between them.

There are no uncapped players in the squad and all its members have played for the Springboks at least once in 2007.

The selectors chose to go with 16 forwards and 14 backs for the tournament, which starts on September 7.

"It's an exciting mix of players many of whom have been together since I started my career as head coach of the Springboks," said White.

"I have great confidence in these players. They will carry the flag for the nation during the tournament with pride."

Squad:

Forwards:

Bakkies Botha, BJ Botha, Gary Botha, Schalk Burger, Os du Randt, Victor Matfield, Johann Muller, Danie Rossouw, Bob Skinstad, John Smit (captain), Juan Smith, Pierre Spies, Gurthro Steenkamp, Albert van den Berg, CJ van der Linde, Wikus van Heerden.

Backs:

Jean de Villiers, Fourie du Preez, Jaque Fourie, Bryan Habana, Butch James, Ricky January, Percy Montgomery, Akona Ndungane, Wynand Olivier, Ruan Pienaar, JP Pietersen, Andre Pretorius, Francois Steyn, Ashwin Willemse.