Thread: Tri-Nations Decider – The Preview

vCash

Tri-Nations Decider – The Preview

Former Wallaby Kicking Coach Tells It How It Is!

Ben Perkins
    Tuesday July 17, 2007

The 2007 Tri-nations series has come down to a gripping decider between the Wallabies and All Blacks. Ben Perkins ponders over where the game will be won and lost.

To my surprise I am finding myself giving the Wallabies a bizarre chance of victory this Saturday. The only reason I am thinking this is because so far the All Blacks have shown nothing much!

Their effort last week was a four out of 10 performance that will most certainly have all New Zealander's looking furtively around questioning when the power is about to be turned on.

I just don’t see where it is going to come from.

Both lineout throwers are ordinary at best and the scrums have turned into an all time joke fest, relying on anything wonderful there is daydreaming in mountainous waves.

The referees are still killing the game. Why they can’t read the game and ignore things that just don’t matter is getting beyond my patience. Stuart Dickinson last week was terribly disappointing again ... and he’s Australian.

Is it any wonder then that many Rugby fans of the past are deserting the ship saying that the game is ridiculously slow and unwatchable.

This is really sad. Ask yourself honestly whether you look forward to a game with an electric glee, or do find yourself looking at the game after it’s started as an intellectual experience? Disturbing isn’t it?

Still, with the All Blacks have been preparing themselves for this game for the last three weeks and I expect them to show enough companionship to perhaps scrape home.

If the bookie boys are offering anything over a nine-point headstart, I would be keen to have an interest. If it’s less than that I will watch it very intelligently!

With Huxley's party mishap, Adam Ashley-Cooper will fill the fullback role and go well. Dan Carter and company would be well advised not to give Ashley-Cooper much room to manoeuvre. His kicking still needs refinement but if he has a day on, it will suffice. Drew Mitchell will go to the wing and it is always a delight watching him fly around the field.

Stirling Mortlock won’t have it as easy as last time, while Mark Gerrard is capable of a few surprises and has performed well in the past in these matches.

Dan Vickerman must play tough and drag his forwards up with him. He will be the key in the pack. If they lose him the game will be all over. George Gregan needs to sharpen up a bit on his last effort where the balls may have been responsible for him looking a bit tired.

All Black replacement half-back, Brendon Leonard, looked a handful when he came on.

What people might not really appreciate is that when In Australia the teams use Summit balls. These balls are fit for taking down the beach and mucking around with in the ocean. If it’s washed out to sea maybe dolphins will find a happy use for it.

They have a light plastic feel to them and are really ordinary to both kick and pass. All the players I suspect will agree with this.

Only have to look at how poorly South African goalkicker Derick Hougaard struck them. They made him look weak. Last Saturday with the Gilbert ball how much better did he go?

Make no mistake Summit balls are very poor quality in my opinion, and should be confined to service station bins with a sale sign on it.

Luke McAlister ran well from inside centre and will be a continuous challenge for Matt Giteau because of the weight difference. If you don’t agree, envisage Gregan playing centre and handling this bigger man all day.

Giteau is too small for centre and must end up at half back if he is to have a long wonderful career. The weather will also be an all important factor as Stephen Larkham goes poorly when it’s cold. Why he is off to Scotland is beyond my understanding.

I saw Larkham shiver and be on the verge of frostbite in a game a couple of years ago in Wellington. I really think if it’s bitterly cold he should wear skins.

Carter showed a bit more last week. His long kicks down to the 22 were very helpful. He still is not on top of his game.

I would be surprised if the Wallabies gave him a free pass to do as he pleases. The more I think about it the more I see a nullifying Wallaby defence go about the field doing its thing. Broken play will be the key.

I think Australia must find touch, or hem them deep into the corners. The more the Wallabies can go from set piece to set piece the easier their job will be, and the worse the game will be to watch.

The referee from Wales will have a huge say in who wins this game. The tip from me is that he is a pedantic referee with a penchant for blowing his whistle - sound familiar?

Perhaps Scott Johnson should be bought in here to have dinner with him and set the scene for a sympathetic display. I would certainly encourage a lunch. dinner or even a massage if I was in charge.

Sadly both AFL and Rugby are both suffering at the hands of the officialdom. I will tip the All Blacks 15-9. But be warned the ref will decide who wins this game!

If he wants to tell me before he goes onto the pitch I would be most appreciative. Whatever happens don’t take the $1.50 on offer for the All Blacks to win the cup. I still insist it’s the worst price of all times for this contest.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Brother Gallagher I hear you

vCash
    A good read and quite a balanced viewpoint from an ex-Wallaby official.

Good stuff!

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    like what he said and a relief to hear why the Wallabies could win

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby