Thread: Latham back - but off the bench

vCash

Latham back - but off the bench

Latham back - but off the bench
    Greg Growden Chief Rugby Correspondent
    Wednesday, July 18, 2007 Print this article
    Email to a friend

Back in the fold … Chris Latham trains with the Wallabies squad at Coogee yesterday. The fullback is set to make his Test return against New Zealand on Saturday.
    Photo: Tim Clayton

THE Adam Ashley-Cooper magical mystery tour is set to take another unexpected turn when the Brumbies utility plays fullback - his fourth different position in seven Tests - in the Bledisloe Cup and Tri Nations decider in Auckland on Saturday night.

After bracketing Ashley-Cooper with Chris Latham for the No.15 jersey, Wallabies selectors decided at training at Coogee Oval last night it would be safer starting with Ashley-Cooper and playing Latham off the bench. The returning Reds veteran is expected to get plenty of game time.

Before training began, Wallabies coach John Connolly and his assistant, Scott Johnson, held a lengthy meeting with Ashley-Cooper, explaining to him that his Test career was about to take another turn.

This followed extensive talks during the afternoon - including with Latham, who did not do enough to prove to selectors that he was ready for a Test recall, having played just two Brisbane club games following a knee reconstruction in January.

"In the end, we thought Chris may have just been a bit short, and playing him off the bench is probably the smarter option," Connolly said last night.

advertisement - story continues below

Latham's lack of game time worked against him, even though Connolly had been eager to start him against the All Blacks.

Connolly, mindful that Ashley-Cooper lacks Latham's superb kicking game, conceded it was a big ask for the youngster, who has already appeared on the wing, inside-centre and outside-centre at Test level this season.

As darkness fell on Coogee Oval last night, Connolly and Ashley-Cooper were alone on the main field, working on the new fullback's high-bomb and midfield kicking skills.

The selectors had been put in the awkward position of having to quickly find a new No.15 after Julian Huxley was forced to withdraw with a corked quadriceps muscle following a prank on Saturday night when he was crash-tackled by Brumbies teammate Gene Fairbanks at a party.

Connolly remains deeply irritated that the Wallabies' Bledisloe Cup chances have been jeopardised by off-field incidents involving Lote Tuqiri and now Huxley.

Ashley-Cooper has become accustomed to unusual requests from the Wallabies selectors, and last night admitted he was already primed for the biggest challenge of all - being the last line of defence against the imperious All Blacks.

"I've had a couple of seasons playing fullback with the Brumbies, so I'm comfortable there," Ashley-Cooper said.

"Knuckles [Connolly] has thrown me in the deep end before, such as the Melbourne Test, and I'm prepared for it. I really don't have a preferred position, but I probably feel most comfortable at outside-centre."

When explaining why the selectors had put the brakes on a Latham starting spot, Connolly said: "We had to look at Chris's physical fitness, as well as mentally, he had to be comfortable with again playing Test football.

"His skill factor is a bit hit-and-miss at the moment. He's also not comfortable with where his skill level is. But we still think Chris has a role to play in Auckland, and we have to get him back in the mix for the World Cup."

Elsewhere, the importance of up-front bulk saw David Lyons move in as No.8, despite the man he replaces - Stephen Hoiles - being the man of the match against the Springboks in the last Test in Sydney.

Lyons's promotion still does not guarantee he will make the 30-man World Cup squad, to be announced on Monday. If Wycliff Palu can prove his fitness in the next few weeks, Lyons could easily miss out, as Hoiles is expected to be the back-up No.8 no matter what.

Connolly said he had opted for Lyons because "his physicality at the front end of the game provides us with a little bit more".

It will also be winger Mark Gerrard's last chance to convince selectors he should go to the World Cup, as he is another on the shortlist to miss out.

The All Blacks offered no surprises in their team announcement yesterday, though some may think Aaron Mauger unlucky not to be at inside-centre rather than Luke McAlister.

While the Wallabies believe Keven Mealamu is a more dangerous hooker than Anton Oliver, the All Blacks have again opted to start with Oliver.

All Blacks coach Graham Henry explained that they wanted to start "with a big, scrummaging hooker, and finish with a playmaker [Mealamu]".

NEW ZEALAND v AUSTRALIA

AUSTRALIA: Adam Ashley-Cooper; Drew Mitchell, Stirling Mortlock (c), Matt Giteau, Mark Gerrard; Stephen Larkham, George Gregan; David Lyons, George Smith, Rocky Elsom, Dan Vickerman, Nathan Sharpe, Guy Shepherdson, Stephen Moore, Matt Dunning. Res: Adam Freier, Al Baxter, Hugh McMeniman, Stephen Hoiles, Phil Waugh, Scott Staniforth, Chris Latham.
    NEW ZEALAND: Mils Muliaina; Doug Howlett, Isaia Toeava, Luke McAlister, Joe Rokocoko; Daniel Carter, Byron Kelleher; Rodney So'oialo, Richie McCaw (c), Jerry Collins, Chris Jack, Keith Robinson, Carl Hayman, Anton Oliver, Tony Woodcock. Res: Keven Mealamu, Neemia Tialata, Reuben Thorne, Chris Masoe, Brendon Leonard, Aaron Mauger, Nick Evans.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    looks good, latham will be a huge bonus. i hope drew starts on the wing

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jazza93
    looks good, latham will be a huge bonus. i hope drew starts on the wing
    he is No11 on left wing

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!