Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Springboks plan Zulu haka

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Springboks plan Zulu haka

Springboks plan Zulu haka

July 17, 2007

SOUTH Africa's rugby team, smarting from a weekend defeat to New Zealand, look set to unleash its own version of the All Blacks' famous haka based on an old Zulu war dance.

Springboks coach Jake White, set to name his squad for the World Cup this week, said he had asked the rugby authorities about reviving a dance that was last used more than 80 years ago in order to psyche up his players.

"The history books show that the 1926 Springboks performed a Zulu war dance in major matches on their tour," White told The Star newspaper in Auckland.

"New Zealand have come up with a new haka recently and, quite honestly, I would like to use ours as a challenge to them."

White revealed that his team have already performed the ritual in the changing room but believes it could have a greater impact on the pitch.

"We have done this challenge before in our team room in the four years since I have been involved as coach, but it hasn't really taken off as an idea to do it public. Not yet, anyway," said the coach.

"I have heard old All Blacks sit in the grandstand and pick up the whole mood of the team just from the haka the players perform."

The haka, which is based on a Maori warrior challenge to an enemy, has long been part of New Zealand's pre-match routine. Different versions have been used over the years, including one featuring a throat-slitting gesture which has been criticised for being overly aggressive.

AAP

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    Had a look on sarugby.com fanzone. Went over like a fart in a spacesuit with the punters. Some punter said imagine watching Os du Rant doing a Zulu dance. No positive comments from your japie mates.

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I'm thinking that working on getting a war dance right shouldn't be amongst their priorities following their efforts during the 3N if they wish to be competitive in the RWC.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    Aint that the truth.

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

vCash
    Don't know if they manage to keep the Springboks name - it might do some good - all be it they do need to get enthusiastic about getting an entire team of top notch players out on the field at once - if only for their share of the Sanzar takings

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash

Wallaby war cry!

On the 1908/1909 tour of the British Isles the first 'Wallaby' captain Dr. Herbert 'Paddy' Moran said,"The gravest affliction we carried was an alleged Aboriginal war cry which the parent union had imposed on us. The memory of that war cry provokes anger in me even after all these years. The New Zealanders always preformed some antics before the beginning of a match; but after all it was in the Maori tradition to lash themselves into some sort of fury by this picturesque method of self suggestion.

In Australia, on the other hand, no club ever adopted a war cry except as comic relief. Now we are being asked to remind the British people of the miserable remnants of a race which they had dispossessed and we had maltreated or neglected. We were officially expected to leap up in the air and make foolish gestures which somebody thought Australian native might have used in similar circumstances, and we were also given meaningless words which we were utter during this pantomime. I refuse to lead the wretched caricature of a native corroboree, and regularly hid myself among the team, a conscientious objector. None of the men liked it."

Supposedly, a Sydney Rugby Club called 'Newtown' performed such a war cry prior to their games - I understand they are now a Rugby League club!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Brother Gallagher I hear you

vCash
    TLH the boks sent their 2nd/3rd team to the away legs how can you possibly think the table reflects on the true strengths of the nations?!?! The boks 2nd 15 took the Wallabies to the death and were right up there with the kiwis until that yellow card call (which was bs)

Every forwards dream is to become a back...

vCash
    Shaun - you can only play the team that presents itself against you on the park. Therefore, the SA was the 'strongest' team that they were able to field (or felt able to field) for their away 3N games.

Yes, they played better than most people thought possible and a few players will have undoubtedly done enough to feature in the SA RWC squad.

Finally, as we rugby fans are always happy to remind other sports, we respect the referee/officials and their decision is always final.

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    Do you agree that Wannenburg should have been sent off?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun
    TLH the boks sent their 2nd/3rd team to the away legs how can you possibly think the table reflects on the true strengths of the nations?!?! The boks 2nd 15 took the Wallabies to the death and were right up there with the kiwis until that yellow card call (which was bs)
    That was no 2nd/3rd team, White ran out of options and is trying all options. Bob Skinstad said himself after the game that at least 10 of those players will go to the RWC.

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to ..........."

vCash
    Not the team that played the Kiwis; but around 10 that played Aus will, still that is a 2nd team then.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    What you are actually arguing here though Shaun is that all is rosey in Springbokville and they have all the time in the world to be farting about trying to practice a fearsome war dance.
    Surely even the most die hard Bok supporter wouldn't be satisfied with where they are at with no more remaining matches prior to taking on Samoa?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Watch and learn

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun
    Do you agree that Wannenburg should have been sent off?
    Shaun, I think he should have been sin binned, he offended in the red zone.
    I'm not saying I approve of the standard of refereeing that went on that day though.

Brother Gallagher I hear you

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Back on topic now, do you think the Springbok wardance/haka/comic relief might involve them falling on the ground tired and maybe tying bootlaces, etc?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast