Weight: 115kg
    Date of Birth: 27 March 1981
    Place of Birth: Nelson, New Zealand

RUGBY CAREER:

Playing Position: Flanker/No 8
    Juniors: Endeavour Hills, Melbourne
    School: St Kevin's College, Melbourne
    Colts: Melbourne Rugby Club
    Senior Club: Canberra Vikings 2002-2004 (’04 captain), Eastern Suburbs 2005 (captain)
    Super 12/14 Team: Brumbies 2001 – 2005 (Training Contract 2001), Western Force 2008-
    Super 12/14 Debut: 2002 Rd 12 v Blues, Canberra (Brumby Number 69)
    Debut Super 12/14 try: 2003 v Sharks, Durban
    Major Rep Honours: Vic Under 19s 1999, Victoria 1999, Australian Under 19s 2000, Australian Under 21s 2001-2002 (‘02 captain), Australia A 2003 and 2005, Toyota Japan 2006-2007
    Awards:
    Team of the Tournament (No.8), Under 21 World Cup 2002
    Canberra Vikings Players’ Player 2004
    Try of the Year – John Eales Medal Night 2003

PROFILE:

New Zealand-born Tamaiti Horua started his rugby education at the unlikely venue of St Kevin's College in Melbourne, next door to Hawthorn Football Club.
    He was spotted by then Brumbies coach Eddie Jones, playing for Victoria at the Australian Schools championships and was offered a two-year contract with the Brumbies in 2001 which he accepted but not before knocking back offers from the Waratahs and Wellington.

While he didn’t make his Brumbies debut till late in the 2002 Super 12 season gaining 2 caps from the bench that season, Horua impressed the right people playing for the Brumby Runners and Canberra Vikings to be named as the Australian Under 21 Captain at the World Championships in 2002, a team that included no less than 15 future Super rugby representatives. His tem fell just short in the final against a Baby Boks team led by future Brumbies teammate Clyde Rathbone, losing 24-21.

With Owen Finegan out of action after shoulder and ankle surgery Horua seized the opportunity to start at blindside flanker in the 2003 Super 12 season where he proved to be a tough competitor equally as effective with ball in hand or defending. With the 2003 World Cup looming Horua was one of many names that was thrown about as a bolter for the Wallabies after a year that saw many young guns impress. He didn’t get a Wallabies call-up but he did make his Australia A debut. Also going on to have another impressive season with the Vikings who won the Brisbane club competition for the third year running.

A resurgent Finegan and impressive Scott Fava saw Horua gain just 9 Brumbies caps as an impact player from the bench in their 2004 Super 12 win. Horua then led the Canberra Vikings to the semi-finals in their inaugural Tooheys New Cup and was awarded the Players Player of the Year.

Horua continued to be used a impact player in 2005 even with a massive injury toll seeing 34 players used including 9 debutants, he gained just 9 caps again. He led Syndey club eastern Suburbs to the semi finals in the Tooheys New Cup and received another chance at Australia A level. Despite all this his Brumbies contract was not renewed and despite being chased by the Force and Leinster he took up a contract with Japanese club Toyota.

2008 will see him back in Australia playing for the Western Force where he will once again challenge Scott Fava for a starting spot.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Evie; 13-07-07 at 00:33.

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    How can I win a mednal, Evie?

Great write up . Thanks a lot. I knew next to nothing about this guy before.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut
    How can I win a mednal, Evie?

Great write up . Thanks a lot. I knew next to nothing about this guy before.
    Ahh... I don't know but you can win a medal

Ta, he was one of my favourite Brumbies, I had a few articles on Tama lying around add into that a bit of boredom and voila one player profile.

Adore this life
    There is no guarantee
    Could end by tomorrow