Thread: Competition update request

Apprentice
    vCash

Competition update request

I was hoping someone might be able to post a bit of an update about how the competition is unfolding as we start to get a bit closer to the pointy end of things?

Whos coming into form, whos dominating the table (and their opposition), how palmyra is looking for the run into the finals.. that sort of stuff.

I'm sure everyone whos a long distance Paly supporter would appriciate it.

Here hoping for a answer. Thanks

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Hi Moonahan.
    Hope Canada is treating you well.
    Last week was a competition bye, so no news.
    This weekend Palmyra take on University (1+2), Curtin (3,5+6) and Joondalup (colts).On form, all senior teams are in with a good chance. Colts may struggle as they are playing a top team.
    Uni will not be easybeats, but providing we get our Perth Gold players back we should get past them. The three players missing against Kalamunda should be back also-Salotti, Nems and Ratu.
    All scores and ladders are viewable on the Rugbywa website- just google.
    Form 1st grade teams are Neddies, Kal, Perth and Pally, the order will change from week to week from now until the finals but I cant see the teams changing much. I think the other preseason possibilities -Wests and Soaks have lost too many games to make it now (the top teams are tight and good) and Cott is this years basket case (as we were two years ago).
    I could be wrong, but you asked for an assessment! Maybe others will post different views.
    Laugh of the week was Southern Lions pathetic complaint to the Rugby union that Pally 6th grade went uncontested in the second half of our fixture with them. Apparently it was a grand conspiracy to prevent their 15 year old props pushing us all over the paddock. The fact that we had two props injured during the game with one oozing blood continously had nothing to do with it of course...
    We havent gone uncontested in 6ths since we entered the competition but obviously those tossers frighten us. Cant wait to play them again.

Just a little more news for you expat Palmyrians.

Centre manager Joe Da Costa retired last Friday and was given a warm sendoff at a cocktail party in his honour at the club that evening.
    All week a stream of wellwishers from all walks of life called into the club to pay Joe their respect which was testament to his popularity and the high esteem in which he is held by all.
    Joe and his family departed for the UK on Sunday for a well deserved holiday.

Another big Texas Hold-em poker tournament will be held at the club between 12 noon and 6 pm. this Sunday 15th July. The last one, held a month ago, was a huge success.

Last edited by fulvio sammut; 11-07-07 at 20:43.

Apprentice
    vCash
    thanks for the reply Frank. Good to see we're still in there with a strong chance, although it must still be worrying about the thrashing neddies gave us a few weeks back?

One another note, just having a look at the tables, it's a shame that second grade isn't performing like last year. Is this more the competition strengthening as a whole and leaving us behind, or the squad just performing poorer than last year?

Also a shame to see thirds struggling, but at least 5's and 6's in with a good shot at the finals..

Looking at the clubs performance as a whole is it fair to say we might have taken a step backwards from the progress made last year?? Love to hear your thoughts...

Last edited by Moonahan; 12-07-07 at 00:25.

vCash
    No, I don't think we have taken a step back at all Blair.It's more the case that our success last year has stirred and renewed the efforts of other clubs to lift their standards, and the standards have been well and truly raised.

Recriutment has been a very big thing. Nedlands registered some 35 new overseas players this year, mostly from NZ. Perth has also recriuted extensively from there, and Kalamunda has finally awoken from its perpetual slumber and gone out and found itself some players. Some clubs haven't; Soaks and Cott being prime examples, and they are paying the price.

The influx of new players has filtered down the grades making all levels more competitive.

You have to realize that we did all this on a big scale last year, you can't do miracles every year, and what we are seeing now is the natural effect of catch up.

Sure, 2nds and 3rds aren't travelling too well but they are extremely competitive:there have been no cricket scores and most losses have been by a few points. Every game is a serious battle, there are few easy beats, even amongst the less successful clubs of recent years, such as Wanneroo and Rockingham. Rockingham in fact will be the giant killers of the second round.

Nedlands are good, but not as good as their outstanding win against us would lead you to believe. Every team has a bad day at some time. To set out some of the reasons for this here will sound like I am making excuses, so I wont, but there were 4 or 5 key reasons for our loss, Nedlands being a vastly superior side was not one of them. Yes, they were better, but by no means unbeatable.

In summary, Blair it's still mostly all good, don't worry.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Hey Fulv, across the comp how are you seeing the effects of the overseas/interstate recruitment?
    You mention that lower grades are improving, which is great, but has there been any negatives, along the lines of "I've played for this Club for x years and earnt my spot and now been pushed aside by some bought player"?
    Have there been players leaving the Clubs or has there been enough squad positions to absorb them in lower grades, allowing full benches etc.
    Do you think that it will continue and, of so, should we expect more Clubs having teams in all/most Grades?
    I know in country Aussie Rules teams that some communities in Leagues that don't buy players as standard practice have been torn apart by trying to buy a Premiership at the expense of the local kids who have tried their guts out for years to earn a jersey their father may well have worn before them.
    These splintered teams also have an effect on the total Club as the Mums and Dads stop coming and doing the little things (running water, canteen, front gate...) because they think "Why bother, my kid isn't even getting a run!"
    I know of one reasonably large town that struggled for nearly fifteen years to rebuild the community aspect of their Club after deciding for one year to bring in six paid Perth players. Sure they flogged everyone and won the cup, but jeez it cost them in the long run. It also cost them their B Grade team due to numbers as well.
    It has been in the back of my mind when previously floating having a semi pro or pro level in WA that any of the existing Clubs can enter a team in.
    We can all get wrapped up in winning but at the end of the day, unless the players are getting a good return, you are really only playing for Club pride and your mates aren't you?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Burgs, in all honesty, I don't think there are many "bought" players in the local competition. For what the clubs can afford to pay for any individual player they would certainly be selling themselves cheaply at the going rate.

At best all they usually get is an airfare here, shared accomodation, a shared old bomb vehicle and a job. Not much more than our local players get when they travel for the experience.

I also don't think the local players resent their presence. Deep down they all know that if they are the better player they will be selected. There are a lot of "imported" players playing second and third grade as well, in many clubs.

There is always attrition in any club. Take Moonahan for example. He and his father played for Palmyra. Blair is a more than useful halfback, capable of playing first grade . He is in Canada enjoying life, and supposedly studying. His departure has nothing whatsoever to do with "imports". It has a whole lot to do with what young people do. As you can see, his heart is still here.

Multiply that a thousand times, in a thousand directions, for a thousand reasons, and you can see what player movement is all about at club level. Very little to do with money.

Only the weak change clubs within their local area without monumental reasons, and these types lose the respect of the tribe they leave and seldom gain respect from the tribe they join.

Yes, I see development in the lower grades. Rugby is popular. I have several first time players converted from Aussie rules in the sixth grade team I coach. They certainly don't stay for the quality of the coaching, although obviously they are taught the rudiments of the game.

They stay for the camaraderie, the brotherhood, the controlled expression of aggression and the rugby culture of brutal frankness and unquestioned team loyalty. These are facets of our sport which, in the degree to which they are unconsciously inculcated, are unique and valued.

As I'm writing this, I'm beginning to understand the difference between the Aussie Rules culture you have experienced outside of rugby and are describing, and the Rugby culture I grew up in. Rugby is about the game. It is about the team. It is about individual success and personal development and self appreciation.It is about implicit trust and reliance on your team mates. It is not about competition within the team or between its members. The competition is fierce, but directed externally, as a group.There is little of the bitchiness and pettyness found in other sports.

Outside of elite level, there is a place for everyone, and everyone adapts to their place and can move up or down from that place depending on their desires and abilities, without a pecking order, and without loss of face or status. If there are too many players for a team, why, you start another! It's the same jumper, the same tribe, just a different battle.

It's called belonging, I guess.

Sorry to wax lyrical and philosophical. It's part of the passion, and not a little to do with the few beers I've had.