Thread: Kitchener Park looking like a winner

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Kitchener Park looking like a winner

http://www.postnewspapers.com.au/200...news/010.shtml
    The stadium argument turned into a political football this week as Subiaco council quietly accepted credit for the Kitchener Park proposal that is drifting into favouritism with the government.

The Kitchener Park idea came out of Subiaco after the first report by the Stadium Task Force.

That report suggested that a stadium could go on Mueller Park.

That idea horrified Subiaco residents and council - the park has more than 200 trees and is heavily used by residents and nearby workers and visitors to Princess Margaret Hospital.

Chester Burton, Subiaco chief executive, said that, right from the start, the task force had opposed the idea of revamping Subiaco Oval.

Subiaco council had said it wanted football to remain in Subiaco, but not on Mueller Park.

Mr Burton said that led him and other senior management to go to a planning consultant, Max Margetts, and ask him to review the task force proposal and see if there was another way to figure a stadium into Subiaco without mangling Mueller Park.

The result was the Kitchener Park plan - for a stadium immediately west of the present Subiaco Oval and using one-third of the current oval.

As task force chief John Langoulant put it: "The flank where John Worsfold played for the Eagles would still be a flank in the new stadium."

Subiaco mayor Heather Henderson and some councillors were amazed and less than delirious when they discovered what Mr Burton had done.

They were still telling the world that they were 100% behind the revamp of Subiaco Oval. They did not know about the Kitchener Park plan.

And that is still Subiaco council's official position: it made a unanimous decision last September to try to keep football in Subiaco and backed the WA Football Commission plan for Subiaco Oval.

It repeated that position in March when it sent its response to the task force, along with the Kitchener Park plan.

But now Perth's 60,000-seat stadium could well be on Kitchener Park - the work of Max Margetts and Subiaco council staff.

The task force said last month that the best options were East Perth or Kitchener Park, followed by Burswood Island.

It estimated a new stadium at $800 million. It said the WAFC plan for Subiaco Oval was not acceptable.

Meanwhile, on the political front, Sports Minister John Kobelke said this week that he had decided a revamp of Subiaco Oval would lead to a second-rate stadium and be a waste of taxpayers' money.

He preferred Kitchener Park.

But no decision would be made unless major sports, particularly football, agreed on a stadium.

Then the details could be negotiated.

He was followed within hours by Premier Alan Carpenter saying that he was ready to make the stadium an election issue.

He said on ABC Radio that another budget would be passed before the next state election.

He was prepared to work out a stadium proposal and launch it as part of the election platform.

Within three hours of that statement, Opposition Leader Paul Omodei declared the Premier was playing politics when he should make a decision and build a stadium quickly.

Mr Omodei said the government had the capacity to do the job and the stadium should be built within five years.

"The Premier saying that the location of the stadium will be an election issue shows that he is more interested in playing politics rather than getting on and making decisions in the best interests of WA," Mr Omodei said.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Not sure if it is a good or bad reflection on WA and Western Australians that a sporting facility has the potential of being an election issue

Also, where does it leave Subiaco as a. a lump of land and b. an asset for the WAFC if a big chunk of it is chewed up by the new ground?
    Surely that would mean a whopping big pay out to or massive ongoing payment for the WAFC to allow that to happen?
    As jokingly mentioned earlier though and now seriously, if Subi Oval is no longer being used then what better location to build a rectangular ground with a common area between the grounds for some bars and cafe's etc?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    That is not a bad idea at all Burgs, but i still couldn't see that outcome being accepted in this city, and especially in subiaco....(home of AFL, etc bullsh*t)...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Well WAFC dont own Subi...they have 90 years lease left at $1 a year.....lets be fair and say buy it off them for 100 bucks and then build the rectangualr stadium there..

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    That would be a beautiful result having a rectangular stadium in Subi I mean.

BTW, The Post is world renowned for it's insightful, unbiased breaking news reports. For years it has been narrowly beaten to the post for some the worlds most exclusive reporting prizes. I'm pretty sure that The post will not let us down and not win a prize for this report either.

Just happy to be here

vCash
    i like that plan too, redevelop subi into a rectangular ground keeping one of the original entrances with the sign "home of wa football" paint a big black cross over it and hang a banner that says "under new management"

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    These is something in todays West about the WAFC warming to the idea of new oval....AS LONG AS THEY MANAGE IT.....

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash
    Bloody hope not, WAFC's had a doft run at being a professional sports body for nearly 20 years, time they grew up and let go the apron strings.

Plus - I think Kitchener will have the same traffic hassles as Subi now, only more people.

East Perth is the best option.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Maybe we should publicise the position that, given the WAFC administers one facility now, it is only fair that the WARU administer the next one built. If that is unacceptable, how can the status quo be considered any different?

vCash
    Andy - you think sneaky!

I like that in a man.

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Try as I might, I couldn't get it scanned in, but on the front page of the Guardian Express throwaway for July 10-16 is

"Stadium Snubbed.

Town of Vincent Mayor Nick Catania does not want WA's new sports stadium built in East Perth, saying the site earmarked should instead become an arts and entertainment hub."

blah blah blah

so watch out for it and have a read.

vCash
    just a minute! Doesn't Nick Catania hold the lease on ME stadium, and pretty desperate to keep it as a going concern.
    Yep - another venue in the area is going to hurt his hip pocket.

Sorry Nick - we already have an arts/entertainment precint in northbridge.

Sounds like nest feathering to me..

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hopep
    just a minute! Doesn't Nick Catania hold the lease on ME stadium, and pretty desperate to keep it as a going concern.
    That's Nick Tana that owns MES, he just sold all his Chicken Treat stores, different Nick, but I'm sure they are "in the same boat".

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!