Green machine holds no fear for Norths

Jamie Pandaram
Saturday, July 7, 2007

A scary thing happened at 3.45pm last Saturday on the damp surface at University Oval. Randwick's forwards packed down for an attacking scrum 10 metres out from University's line, and shoved them backwards with such force the home side's players left deep gashes in the muddy ground, unable to find any traction against the surging green machine.

Halfback Patrick Phibbs simply picked up and plonked down the ball on the try line.

Randwick centre Morgan Turinui, who has played for the Wallabies and Waratahs and joins the Reds next year, declared the Randwick pack as the best he has played with.

"I was on the field with the Wallabies when we were in a bit of trouble [against England] at Twickenham a couple of years ago, and to be playing for a side going forwards like that rather than backwards is pretty special," Turinui said. "This pack is the best I've played with at any level. I have never seen a pack dominate the set-piece like they do."

The Students showed stern resilience to win last week's game and claim the minor premiership. However, with Norths facing Randwick today in the first elimination final of this year's Shute Shield, the opposition is preparing for a torrid encounter at scrum time.

Former Wallabies prop and Norths' forwards coach, Ben Darwin, has been working on the team's scrum this week in anticipation of an eight-man assault led by Randwick prop Dayna Edwards, who is viewed as the cornerstone of the shoving unit.

With fleet-footed Waratah Kurtley Beale charged with running Norths' back line from five-eighth, slow ball from scrums and breakdowns would limit his time and space and, therefore, his ability to create scoring chances.

Norths coach Darren Coleman said quick recycled ball is critical to his side's chances.

"Our key focus is the scrum and the breakdowns," Coleman said. "If we can get quick, recycled ball, we'll see Kurtley's skills. We are confident in our lineouts, other aspects of our game, but the scrums and breakdowns will be crucial. We're under no illusions, they will be extremely tough but this is the best side we've put out this year.

"I'm not sure if we'd be favourites among the bookies but we're quietly confident among ourselves."

Beale, who played at fullback for his first two club matches after returning from representative duties a fortnight ago, revealed he would rather be playing at the back again, but the No.15 jersey has fallen to NSW teammate Sam Norton-Knight.

"I like the room I have playing fullback, there's more running, but I'm happy to do what the coach says," Beale said. "Obviously there is going to be a bit of pressure there for me to run the back line, it's a final, but I'm just going out there to play another game.

"Our forwards are pretty keen, and looking forward to the challenge. They have got a very strong back line with Turinui and [Matt] Carraro, and Phibbs around the ruck … I think it's going to be a very good challenge for me."

In tomorrow's other elimination final, Warringah take on Eastwood at TG Millner Field. The winners of both games play each other next week.

In second-tier finals, Parramatta host Souths today, and West Harbour play Penrith at TG Millner tomorrow in a curtain-raiser to the main game.