Thread: Heros

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Thumbs up Heros

Firsty let me say I cannot claim responsibility for this article...It is as I recall a segment on Ted Bulls Country afternoon radio program on ABC. It was accompanied by the song "We can be heros"

His guest started by asking the question....What is a hero? and let us consider these names.....Willy Apiata, David Robinson and Levi Perry....

WHO???? You might ask

Well his guest then said the names Ben Cousins, Adam Gilchrist and Shane Warne...

You would all recognise these names...and in most peoples eyes...

(Ed - I personally would have thought they were the multiple choice answers to a Quiz night question "Who has not been done for drugs in sport?" - but I digress)

He then went on to tell the story of LEVI PERRY....a Perth Rugby player who while over in Melbourne last week for the Rugby Test saw a lady backpacker being attacked and without hesitation intervened and saw the attacker off.....

this action was taken only 1 week after another good Samaritan DAVID ROBINSON intervened in an attack on a woman not 2 blocks away and lost his life when shot by the attacker......

and WILLY APIATA is a NZ SAS soldier who was this week was awarded the highest honour for Valour - The Victoria Cross for his actions in Afghanistan in 2004, when one of his fellow soldiers was wounded and bleeding profusly.. until Willy picked him up and ran 50 meters under heavy enemy fire to take his mate to safety...

As he said.....These are the guys who are HEROs.

I salute you all.....

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by travelling_gerry; 04-07-07 at 21:26.

vCash
    Sorry to go slightly off topic, but what really gives me the sh1ts with things published, whether in the media such as this article or on a sign somewhere, is the incorrect use of apostrophes!

It is heroes, or heros if you must. Not hero's.

Sorry, I'll stop ranting now.......

Last edited by travelling_gerry; 04-07-07 at 21:28.

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Are you as pedantic over your refereeing decisions as you are over your apostrophes, Eck?

vCash
    bloody refs,
    zeros not heros

great to hear ted give credit where its due, our community could do more with ppl like these

<>

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Sorry, but who exactly is it calling Ben Cousins, Adam Gilchrist and Shane Warne "heroes"? I've generally seen them called stars (which they probably are given their celebrity) other than when they've been tagged dickheads (although Gilly generally behaves)

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Yeah, bit rough pulling Gilly in with the other two Andy, think you might get a few arguing the toss there!
    There is certainly a huge difference between a hero and a star though and I doubt you would be able to include too many sportsmen in the hero category for their sporting feats alone.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    The media have always used tags like Hero or catastrophe, or legend etc to exagerate thier topics, i don't know how you can class footy players or sports stars "heroes" (keepin' it real ecky), Idols would be more appropriate...
    I believe that the ad on TV regarding our Ambo's is accurate though, they definately earn the tag, even if it is thier job....As to the article, excellent stuff...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....