Poll: Lote Tuqiri

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Tuqiri banned for two matches

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JediKnight
    Hope you're talking about Lote & not my eloquent comments!!!!!
    Absolutely

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Strange that the "team mates" that he was drinking with didn't seem to have any issues though?
    One other apparently tested and blew zero's...

JK, can't it be both

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Grog scores another knockout victory

Comment by Ray Chesterton
    July 04, 2007

THE most important thing Lote Tuqiri said yesterday was what he didn't say. He didn't say he would give up the grog.

He didn't say he would follow the lead of equally troubled rugby league star Sonny Bill Williams and swear off alcohol after a series of publicly embarrassing incidents.

Oh, Lote said he was sorry, disappointed etc, that he misread his diary after a night out with his mates and missed two team commitments.

The closest he would venture toward abstinence was "Something I guess I have to look at."

So, in a robust season the score is: Grog 20 players 0.

Tuqiri is the latest wearer of the scarlet jumper for public humiliation. He is known as being highly competitive and is always a chance of an eye-catching performance despite the close marking of opponents.

Tuqiri was out on Sunday night with "teammates and other friends" to an undisclosed time before returning to the Wallaby hotel. Exactly how much he had to drink was not officially calculated but by 1.30pm on Monday he still tested .05.

Wow. No wonder he misread his diary.

A Wallaby minder decided that Lote "looked shabby" and told coach John Connolly. Hence the blood-alcohol test.

It says something about expectations of player behaviour that a breathalyser was so handy.

So there we were ensconced in the luxurious ARU headquarters yesterday like a fight crowd waiting for the judges' votes to be tallied.

We all knew the result. Alcohol by a knockout.

In this case it knocked Lote out for two Tests, cost him $23,000 in match fees and a separate fine of $20,000.

It was not revealed what Lote was drinking but for $43,000 it would want to be memorable.

Anyone deliberately trying to destabilise Australian Rugby Union and its new-found status would envy Lote's timing.

After months of floating belly up like a dying gold fish in a bowl the Wallabies redeemed themselves by beating the All Blacks last Saturday.

It was a perfect. The Wallabies were now on the edge of regaining the Bledisloe Cup and the Tri-Nations trophies.

Commanding administrative figure John O'Neill was back in charge and public confidence was surging like the Wallabies to an All Black ruck.

And along comes Lote with a spray can to vandalise the picture with his own personal brand of graffiti. But for some puzzling sleight of hand from the ARU, Tuqiri should have been suspended for three Tests and fined $20,000.

By blowing .05 he triggered an automatic two-match suspended sentence for misbehaviour in South Africa in 2005. Initially a one-match suspension and a $20,000 fine was imposed for Lote blowing .05 which made three matches and $20,000.

But O'Neill cut the penalty to two Tests and $20,000.

The only real winner was alcohol - again. It's the real opposition for both union and league.

O'Neill - We had to take a stand

By Peter Jenkins
    July 04, 2007

AUSTRALIAN Rugby Union chief executive John O'Neill has placed Australia's off-field reputation ahead of winning back the Bledisloe Cup by banning Lote Tuqiri for the final two Tests before the Rugby World Cup.

O'Neill said he would not compromise team standards - even for the game-breaking millionaire wing - and was standing Tuqiri down from Saturday night's clash with South Africa and a trans-Tasman decider with New Zealand in two weeks time.

Tuqiri failed to attend a 10am team medical on Monday and a scheduled recovery session two hours later, and at 1.30pm was ordered by management to undergo a breathalyser test.

Under alcohol guidelines introduced under the reign of current coach John Connolly, a player who blows more than 0.02 when required for any team activity must face a Wallabies disciplinary hearing. Tuqiri returned a reading of 0.05.

The indiscretion comes less than three weeks before an existing suspended sentence hanging over Tuqiri was due to expire.

In July 2005 he was fined $500 and had a two-match punishment placed on hold by a team disciplinary committee after a late night out in South Africa three days before a Test against the Springboks.

His latest misdemeanour - following dinner and drinks with teammates in Sydney on Sunday night - led to O'Neill invoking the suspended ban. Tuqiri was also fined $20,000.

In a further financial wallop, he will forgo $23,000 in match payments for the Tests against the Springboks and All Blacks.

But O'Neill was unrepentant on the stance taken against the game's most high-profile player, whose season has been pockmarked by two earlier controversies - pushing New South Wales teammate Sam Norton-Knight and his dial-a-selector drama with Michael O'Connor.

"Could we have said beating the Springboks this weekend and the All Blacks to win the Bledisloe Cup is more important than upholding team standards?" O'Neill said.

"No, we can't, because it's not. It doesn't matter what the game is, or who the player involved is, no one is above the law when it comes to off-field responsibility.

"This is about sending a very clear and unambiguous message as to what we expect in terms of the behaviour and culture of the Wallabies. It could be viewed the same as an unforeseen injury.

"You just have to cope. Equally, this should have been avoided," O'Neill added.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    What a bloody idiot! I think I'm correct in saying that his contract is still not signed, well if I am then i would think that O'neill will be having second thoughts about taking the pen out of his pocket. I've said it all along he's got no loyalty and he's not worth the money. The tahs have blown enough smoke up everyones arse about the dickhead, if they want him let them pay him.

Just happy to be here

vCash
    Lote's a champion. He would fit right in on an InnForcers tour methinks!

''I'd like to have a beer with Lote,
    I'd like to have a beer with Lots'.
    He can't get up early for training,
    But he can chug down a bevvy when he's with his mates.
    I like to have a beer with Lote,
    'Cos Lote's me mate!''

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Tuqiri inspired by Sonny Bill

By Bret Harris
    July 04, 2007

A DEJECTED Lote Tuqiri admitted yesterday he was out drinking on Sunday night, but the reason he failed to attend Australia team meetings was because he had mis-read his team diary.

Tuqiri was yesterday suspended for two Tests and fined $20,000 for his failure to attend a team medical and recovery session and later failing a breath test in the wake of the Wallabies' shock win over New Zealand in the Bledisloe Cup opener in Melbourne on Saturday.

"I was having a few quiet drinks with the boys," Tuqiri said. "I got back to the hotel and I didn't read my diary properly.

"Obviously, I'm not happy at not playing and letting the boys down and also family and fans.

"I understand where they (the ARU) are sort of coming from. I did miss that session. I didn't know it was on . . . I guess I've got to take it on the chin."

Asked whether he thought the two-game suspension was too harsh, Tuqiri said: "I love playing footy. I think one Test is one too many. I just want to get out there and play footy.

"Missing two games and two big games. You'd like to be part of this week. Greegs (George Gregan) and Bernie (Stephen Larkham) playing their last games in Australia. It would have been nice to play with those boys.

"Obviously we are trying to win the Bledisloe Cup back in a few weeks."

Rugby league star Sonny Bill Williams recently swore off alcohol after a couple of highly-publicised incidents and Tuqiri said that was something he would also consider.

"I guess it's something I'll have to have a look at, but I've got time management issues I have to look at as well," Tuqiri said.

"Sonny Bill killed them on Monday night (in the Bulldogs' win over the Roosters) so he must be doing something right."

Connolly insisted Tuqiri's absence would not make any difference to his preparation for the World Cup. Mark Gerrard will replace Tuqiri on the right wing against the Springboks at Telstra Stadium on Saturday night with Drew Mitchell coming onto the reserves bench.

Lote drinking, little reward

By Brett Harris
    July 04, 2007

LOTE Tuqiri's latest misdemeanour has strengthened the argument that the Australian Rugby Union has been short-changed by its high-priced rugby league convert.

Tuqiri has been suspended for Australia's remaining Tri-Nations Tests, against South Africa and New Zealand, and fined $20,000 for failing to attend a team medical and subsequent recovery session after an extended drinking session on Sunday night.

He will also forfeit $23,000 in match payments.

It is understood Tuqiri was drinking with teammates at the Clovelly Hotel in Sydney's eastern suburbs on Sunday night after returning from the Wallabies' upset 20-15 win against new Zealand in Melbourne the previous evening.

"These circumstances are always disappointing. Lote is an incredibly important part of the Wallabies and our plans going forward," ARU chief executive John O'Neill said.

"A great player on the field, we have an expectation of him off the field, But you've got to deal with life as it is and these are hard decisions.

"No-one would be keener than me to win the Bledisloe Cup back in a couple of weeks' time and have our best team on the paddock.

"But you would send out a bad message if you didn't apply the rules. There was a decision taken by the Wallaby team disciplinary committee two years ago, a two match suspended sentence, and it had to be applied."

His suspension means Tuqiri, who was stood down from the two-Test Wales series to work on his speed, will play in only three of the Wallabies' seven Tests before the Rugby World Cup in France in September and October.

Tuqiri attracted critics from within rugby circles when he agreed in principle a $6 million contract over five years during what was a disappointing season.

While Tuqiri was impressive in Australia's win over the All Blacks in Melbourne on Saturday, the star wing has never been far from controversy this year after protracted contract negotiations when he flirted with a return to league.

He was retained for an astronomical figure but that inflamed critics who witnessed Tuqiri produced a below-par Super 14 campaign for New South Wales Waratahs.

In 13 games he scored only one try and was involved in an ugly incident when he shove teammate Sam Norton-Knight in the back.

He was in hot water again in May when he apologised to Wallabies selector Michael O'Connor for broadcasting a personal conversation about Waratahs teammate Peter Hewat on his mobile phone loudspeaker.

He was also sent home in January from a Wallabies training camp for failing a fitness test.

Followers of the game are questioning whether Tuqiri is providing value for money.

He failed to attend a team medical appointment on Monday morning and later a midday recovery session.

According to management, Tuqiri was not woken by teammates because his roommate at the team hotel in Coogee arrived in Sydney from interstate on Monday morning and the meetings were staggered.

Wallabies coach John Connolly decided to breath-test Tuqiri after a member of the team management reported that the wing looked "shabby".

Tuqiri was breath-tested in team doctor Martin Raftery's room at 1.30pm (AEST), returning a reading of 0.05.

The Wallabies disciplinary committee - Connolly, Raftery, inside centre Scott Staniforth and second rower Dan Vickerman - considered the matter on Monday night, handing down a one-game suspension plus the fine.

However, O'Neill re-asserted his authority by over-ruling disciplinary committee's finding.

When O'Neill reviewed the decision he invoked the two-year, two-game suspended sentence hanging over Tuqiri for his part in a scuffle in a Cape Town night club on July 21, 2005, which led to halfback Matt Henjak being sent home in disgrace.

Tuqiri only had three weeks remaining before the two-game suspended sentenced would have been lifted.

"The team disciplinary committee that looked at the matter last night in their wisdom thought one match plus a fine in the circumstances would be appropriate, but for consistency's sake the application of the two match suspended sentence had to be invoked," O'Neill said.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3