Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Kick Springboks out: Moffett

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Kick Springboks out: Moffett

Kick Springboks out: Moffett

Greg Growden Chief Rugby Correspondent
    Tuesday, July 3, 2007

The South African Rugby Union is "an absolute disgrace" and the Springboks should be kicked out of the Tri Nations, says David Moffett, one of the chief architects of SANZAR.
    Moffett, the former head of the NRL and New Zealand, Wales and NSW rugby unions, told the Herald last night that Australia and New Zealand had to cut South Africa from the next television deal, and instead play more trans-Tasman matches.
    "It is imperative that Australia and New Zealand cast South Africa adrift," Moffett said. "The players are just getting killed by all the travel."
    And rather than having a Super 14 with five South African provinces, Moffett said the tournament should be disbanded and replaced by a Super 10 competition with five New Zealand teams and five Australian teams, with the fifth Australian team being based in Melbourne.
    He added that when expansion was required, national teams from the Pacific Islands, based in Australia and New Zealand, should be included.

In 1996, Moffett was heavily involved in the formation of SANZAR, the Super 12 and Tri Nations, but is now a vocal opponent. Speaking from New Zealand, where he recently moved after leaving the Welsh Rugby Union, Moffett said this Saturday's Test at Telstra Stadium had been tarnished by South Africa leaving 20 of their best players behind.
    Moffett has been particularly trenchant on the subject in his newspaper column with The Press newspaper in Christchurch. He wrote at the weekend that: "With friends like South Africa who needs enemies? The SARU are an absolute disgrace and should be told immediately by NZ and Australia that they will not be required when the next television rights deal is negotiated [in 2010].
    "We are led to believe that all three SANZAR countries had agreed to field their strongest teams, and in fact NZ and Australia had sent their best available players [to South Africa] and filled the stadia and coffers of SARU.
    "What was the response of our supposed partner? They waited until after the second Test and selected a B team. If I was a paranoid type I would be thinking conspiracy. Denying NZ and Australia hard match practice against one of the best teams in the world in the lead-up to the World Cup will obviously harm the preparation of the All Blacks and Wallabies.
    "Of course, the other injured party in this sorry saga of selfishness by SARU is SANZAR's major financial partner, News Limited. Their response so far has been muted, but I can imagine their fury behind the scenes."
    Moffett said there was a simple solution - "ditch South Africa from the next TV deal".
    "They behave more and more like northern hemisphere unions and should make it official by playing in competitions in the north," he said.
    "New Zealand and Australia can get a much better deal for fans, players, sponsors and broadcasters by playing three Bledisloes a year, and a home and away trans-Tasman Super 10 competition. Selfishness seems to be the order of the day in the professional rugby era and perhaps now is the time for Australia and NZ to play that game."
    Moffett said as the South Africans had treated Australia and New Zealand with disdain, the two countries should consider organising important lead-up matches in the UK just before the World Cup, so that they hit the tournament with match fitness and form.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    He sounds like a complete moron to me!!!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I dunno almac, as a complete moron who helped set it up in the first place I reckon he makes a few valid points?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    The pacific island teams do not get as big a turn out as the south african games get, as was evidence with the fiji game, the south africans are a definitive drawcard because they are in the top 3 teams in the world, i am sure the wallabies and all blacks would rather play them thean samoa, tonga fiji or japan, this palooka is just dribbling!!! i see he never mentioned anything about the kiwis keeping their players out of the super14 for conditioning!!

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash
    probably a bit over the top but he has valid points.
    the SARU has already talked to NH unions about playing a competition, as it fits the 'timezone better'.
    The major sponsor is pissed off - as TV ratings will plummet.
    If the hairy back want to play soft games in europe - let em go says I.

IF playing four hard games in one year is a bit much for them (precious little things) I'd be questioning why SARU is paying them so much money. Its your job, if your a professional, you turn up every game and put in 100%.
    The Mungos do it week in and week out -
    If you don't want to play, hand your salary deals back and bugger off.

vCash
    who are the mungos???

vCash
    its a derogatory term for League players

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Let's hope this B grade team doesn't win. There will be a lot of Experts eating humble pie for a while.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    Thats one of the perks of being an "online expert" FlameThrower

vCash
    I agree, highly exaggerated but some solid points...still i like the way things are at the moment with the tri-nations and super 14...i didnt expect SA to bring a full-strength side all the way across to AUS and NZ especially when some of their key players have slight injuries at the moment.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    South Africa on the agenda

Rupert Guinness
    Wednesday, July 4, 2007

The tense relations between South Africa and Tri Nations partners Australia and New Zealand will be raised at a meeting among the three unions next week.

The SANZAR body that runs the Tri Nations and Super 14 will meet in Christchurch for a strategic review addressing the future of both competitions.

David Moffett, the former head of the NRL, and New Zealand, Wales and NSW rugby unions, called for South Africa to be expelled from SANZAR in yesterday's Herald.

Moffett believes New Zealand and Australian rugby would be better served with a Super 10 home and away series. However, ARU chief John O'Neill yesterday labelled Moffett's suggestion as "premature and unnecessarily pre-emptive".

O'Neill agrees there are many issues to be resolved to improve relations with the South African Rugby Union, but says now is not the time to get into it. O'Neill believes they should be confined to the SANZAR meeting next week. And even then nothing should be pushed vigorously until after a scheduled International Rugby Board meeting in November. One of the major issues it will address is the proposed integration of a global season that would affect the scheduling of the Tri Nations anyhow.

O'Neill also warned against dumping South Africa from SANZAR. "One has to be very careful about arguing that we should discard South Africa," he said. "The beauty of the SANZAR joint venture is the sum of the parts and the value that comes out of those parts. No one should underestimate the significant value."

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    But Almac...

The Kiwi coaching staff announced before the season what their intentions were in terms of resting players so before anyone had bought tickets to the game they were aware that the all black players would be rested.

But the Saffas didn't make any announcement until after the Wallabies and the ABs had sent 2 full strength teams over there, filled their stadiums and lined the corporate pockets with a nice amount of dosh. They didn't do it before anyone had bought tickets and therefor showed absolutely no respect for the Tri Nations tournament, to Aus and NZ rugby and to the code itself.

What they have done is unforgiveable!

I made Happy sad...

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I think it is sour grapes and they are finding it hard to swallow their own pill!!!

N.Z. cost super14 broadcasting millions of dollars with their resting stunt, low ticket sales in N.Z is proof and News Corp has gone on record to that fact. Just because S.A. changed their mind halfway through the Tri-Nations does not, in my book, make them any less nor any more better than the All Blacks.

New Zealand: "You can't do that"
    South Africa: "Can't do what?"
    New Zealand: "Rest players, you have to field your best team"
    South Africa: "Why not? you did it"
    New Zealand: "That was different"
    South Africa: "And exactly how different is it?"
    New Zealand: "Well we told you a couple of months before we did, so that makes it ok"
    "South Africa: "You're a dickhead, I'm off"
    Australia: "<sigh> I'm stuck between two idiots....."

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    Well said Happy!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Nah, I can understand your logic Happy but I'm with Jess on this one.
    That said, as Flame mentioned, the Wallabies won't want to lose now!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast