Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wallabies Front Row not up to it...

vCash

Wallabies Front Row not up to it...

Dunning's revival brief, predicts Loe
    Greg Growden
    Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Former All Blacks prop Richard Loe has laughed off claims the Wallabies are now an international scrummaging force - instead labelling the front row as a bunch of duds.

Loe, who antagonised the Wallabies when he rearranged Paul Carozza's face in the 1992 Bledisloe Cup encounter in Brisbane, wrote in his New Zealand Herald column that he was astounded to be told of "the so-called resurrection of the Australian front row".

"I say so-called because, regardless of what people are saying and writing about their narrow defeat to the Springboks last week, I don't believe the Wallabies are any better off from numbers one to three than they have been for the past couple of years," Loe wrote.

"The Wallabies ¡¦ they've barely got three that could do the job. When the All Blacks meet the old foe in Melbourne, we'll still have a massive advantage up front - you can't even begin to compare the likes of Al Baxter and Matt Dunning with Carl Hayman and Tony Woodcock."

Loe was particularly surprised that Waratahs loose-head prop Dunning was being praised - especially when he was about to confront possibly the world's best scrummaging unit.

"They've been talking Dunning up in particular, saying he played superbly, and John Connolly said he came of age," Loe wrote. "To my way of thinking, any prop can play the first 40 and 60 minutes and keep up. The acid test comes in the last quarter, that takes its toll on any player in any position."

Loe said that in the final minutes of the Cape Town Test, the front-rowers, in particular Dunning "were quite lethargic and not doing much work at all".

"It's still a problem area for them. They haven't got depth, and they haven't got a good top-tier of players."

Loe doesn't even rate Rodney Blake, saying he looked "out of his depth" in the Australia A-Junior All Blacks match.

"Is there a good thing you can say about the Wallabies? If you're looking solely at the front row then, no, there is not."

Although the All Blacks have publicly praised the Wallabies pack, privately they do not place them on the same pedestal as established scrummaging countries, such as South Africa and some northern hemisphere teams.

The All Blacks regard the Wallabies as a cagey scrummaging outfit, who know how to overcome their inadequacies on their own feed by quickly getting the ball away from that area.

At least another former All Blacks prop, John Drake, had some nice words for the Wallabies yesterday. However he argues that the Wallabies' weak area may be somewhere else.

"I believe Australia will be a tough challenge in Melbourne," Drake wrote in the New Zealand Herald. "They're defensively sound and will make fewer mistakes than South Africa, but may not offer much in attack."

Within minutes of beating the Springboks 26-21 on Saturday, the All Blacks went into survival mode, reports Richard Knowler in Durban.

For every kilogram of weight lost during the Tri Nations match at Absa Stadium, they had to replace it with at least a litre of fluids to recover before next Saturday night's Test.

"We get weighed before the game and after the game to see how much fluid we lose. Myself, I lost a couple of kilos," inside-centre Aaron Mauger said.

The All Blacks will name their team tomorrow, and are expected to make up to five changes.

This story was found at: http://www.rugbyheaven.smh.com.au/ar...623824841.html

I know many of you will get peeved that a Kiwi has put this up but what do you think of the aussie front row? Have they really improved?

To be honest I really dont rate Matt Dunning and thought Rodzilla was better but I also didn't get to see the Junior AB's v Aust A any comments?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash
    Not too peeved old bean. Many pundits have been decrying the front row for many years - that what Connoly was employed to fix.

Half expected from the Kiwis, but he has valid point.
    However, the rest of the squad is starting to look (only a few wobbly bits)and act like a class combination and this should be a good game.

vCash
    It'll be interesting to see how the Wallaby front row stand up to the AB's on Saturday. A bit of extra motivation there.....if any was needed.

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

Rookie
    vCash
    Loe is right

vCash
    It will definately be the acid test for dunning, i just wish people would forget trestle (baxter) as part of the equation, for he is totally sh*t and often wouldn't even make a first 15 in grade rugby based on some of his performances....Anyhow, i am gonna wait and see before making any call regarding the strength of our forwards...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

vCash
    Yes Frontrow this is the game that will test the tight five, i agree with your point on Baxter he could not scrum his way out of a paper bag. Why they bother with him who knows. Hardy would be a lot better option.
    I hope the Ref gets his act togeter and makes it a good game to watch.
    Loe i would hold my thoughts on such a dirty scrummage have no respect for this man at all.

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Lets hope the All Blacks have read it as well. They may start a bit cocky.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    The front row is the foundation of the team,if the props cant hold their own they might as well go to uncontested scrums. S14 proved there's alot of problems with the front row due to the different size/power of the SA and AB's
    These countries have an abundant of boofheads who not only a powerful scrummages, but hard around the rucks and mauls. I have never rated Baxter and Dunnings used by date has come and gone. I also think Blake was rushed in to soon (international level). And dont start me on the hooking position.

The backs are just there to look pretty

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I don't fancy our chances with a South African ref. Sure its better than having Kaplan ref the game but the simple fact is we usually don't do well against NZ because we have guys who referee in a different way... different view of the breakdown and different views in the scrum.

vCash
    Front row factory i will not start you on the hooking position as there is not one. Why ever the ball is fed direct into the second row the hooker becomes unemployed and therefore only used in the line out options. If this caries on the hookers will lose the skill of raking for the ball.The props are the engine room of the team and God bless them. And as i have mentioned before Refs should be sent to prop school so they manage the scrum in the correct way, so all can enjoy the game as it should be and not this stop start look at me way the refs are conducting the game at the moment.
    PROPS RULE OK

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    Prop53 you know your stuff. We will all know how our scrum and especially the front row will go after they pack down for the first scrum. Either way we will feel pleased or shattered. Also to see how they are going in the last quarter of the game is the worry. If we hold our own we will win no problems as long as Trestle doesnt get a run.

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

vCash
    i think they will do well, shepardson is up to it for sure and if dunning has a game like last week he can compete with the all blacks.

i think the backs are gonna win it for the wallabies though.

vCash
    I just want to see 2 big hairy ass front rows give it to each other (without their poofter lycra ballerina jumpers on), nothing makes me more HAPPY! I hope who ever the props are they just give it plenty.

The backs are just there to look pretty

Rookie
    vCash
    dunning will get eaten alive

vCash
    i agree with your views there lone hydrangea, Go the Wallabies

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast