Thread: Somebody better pre-warn Chook...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Somebody better pre-warn Chook...

Sorry Chook but hot off the press!

Rico Gear now a Warrior

From correspondents in London
    June 18, 2007

NEW Zealand winger Rico Gear has signed a three-year contract with English Premiership side Worcester Warriors, the club said.

Gear, who has scored 10 tries in 18 international appearances, said: "This is a new chapter in my life and I'm really looking forward to moving to the UK and playing in the Premiership for Worcester Warriors."

Gear, who follows fellow All Blacks Sam Tuitupou and Greg Rawlinson, Fiji international Netani Talei, Samoa star Loki Crichton and front row giant Shaun Ruwers as the new arrivals at Sixways, added: "I know this is the right club for me and my family at the right time in my career.

"The Warriors have shown their burning desire to move forward in recent months by signing a number of world-class players, including Sam (Tuitupou) and Greg (Rawlinson) who I both know well from Super 14 rugby and the All Blacks. I'm looking forward to coming over with them and making a real impact at Sixways.

"I believe all the ingredients are now at the club so that I can be part of a successful Warriors side that will challenge for honours in the English game in the future."

Agence France-Presse

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Surely this will be to the detriment of developing homegrown players. Yes, I know that on this occasion the homegrown players will be English - but for the benefit of all nationalities, there should be a limit on imported players. Surely they won't be allowed to play all of them at the same time (otherwise why did Burkie have to take out British citizenship at Newcastle?). Maybe someone can come up with the relevant regulation regarding overseas players in the various national competitions around the UK.

Interestingly, and apologies for referring to the round ball game...the English Premier League is over-burdened with foreign players thanks to the media & sponsors' interest in the League & everyone throwing money at it. There is no requirement to put any English or British players on the pitch. Supporters of this regulation say it's all down to European Law & open job markets....but why then can the Italian League stipulate that only 3 (I think) non-Italian players can be on the pitch for a team.

Back to rugby...I fully support the policy in the Southern Hemisphere that only players who play their rugby in their own country can play for the Provincial sides and also national sides.

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    I know debated and commented on before but there are already regulations over the number of "foreigners" in a GP side, the issue is what classifies a player as "foreign". As we have a law in Europe that allows freedom of trade, i.e. a business/company/franchise cannot restrict employment opportunities for individuals due to their country of birth it is difficult to police. All Europeans are classified as non-foreign and many other countries such as South Africa have special arrangements that exempt their citizens from the rule. In the main the rule is that no more than two foreigners may be on the field together, this is relaxed slightly during the 6 Nations and European Cup weeks when squads are stretched further. It was that regulation that encouraged Burke to take a British passport so that another SH player could be on the park at the same time. I agree with the sentiment of nations wanting to restrict the import of foreign players (it is after all why Ireland are improving so much) but I am liberal enough to know that that type of approach is not sustainable and clubs and countries with enough resources will find ways around it, in my view it is a foolish and unworkable ideal that will only penalise those that try to stay rigidly inside the laws.

As for the Italians I think you will find that they apply a similar policy to that used by the Wallabies and the AB's, remember that this is simply a policy and as such has absolutely no standing in law...it will be interesting to see the first SH player who takes the ARU or the NZRU to court over this, there is no doubt a case to answer if policy is used to restrict trade...up until now no-one has either seen the need or had the balls to do this. Of course that may be beacuse any trouble maker would simply find themselves out of favour with the selection panel or coach in any case and find that a sucessful victory in law would have no benefit if they were subsequently dropped "for another reason" but times are a changing and that may not always be true.

Last edited by Flat-top; 18-06-07 at 22:37.

vCash
    Thanks Flat-top....that explains it a bit more.

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    Thanks for the heads up. He will be a great asset to his new team. I mean, he's good enough to play for NSW so he will carve it up over yonder.

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    We already scratch our head over selections for the Wallabies so I would love to see it actually tested in a Court Room
    Probably another way to get around it would be for the ARU to make all Wallaby commitments without financial reward (ie no wages) and up the player payments through the respective S14 bodies as "International Bonuses".
    That way it isn't really a restriction of "Trade" as you don't get paid to play for the Wallabies...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    There's not going to be any All Blacks left after the World Cup! I've had a few rants about how this is damaging both the SH ability to hold onto their players but the damage to the development of NH players as well. I dont think there is any easy answer but the ongoing talent drain and lack of NH domestic development is ging to damage Rugby.

vCash
    I suppose I have Hosea Gear to fall back on. That kid has talent. Not quite as good as his brother but still. And my dream of having a pic with Rico seems to have ended.

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu