Thread: NZRU Statement regarding Australian Rugby Union

vCash

NZRU Statement regarding Australian Rugby Union

Don’t know about anyone else but I am sick and tired of the New Zealand Rugby Union trying to take the high moral ground on everything concerning Trans Tasman Rugby.
    For example, the latest message from Kiwi HQ concerned “our” (Australia’s) lack of support for the 2011 bid (see statement below).
    If my memory serves me correct, when Australia hosted the 2003 World Cup it was New Zealand who failed to come to agreement re ground signage and therefore it was New Zealand who forfeited the right to co-host this event. It caused, at the eleventh hour, Australia having to find more grounds, more accommodation, more money, more volunteers, more officials etc etc yet not a word from the NZRU or the NZ public in recognition of the great recovery effort or any public regret for not holding up their end of the bargain.
    Yet now the NZ short term memory portrays it as being Australia’s fault and how we’ve let down the SANZAR “brotherhood”. Did you see us crying in our porridge back in ’03 when the NZRU let us down? No folks, we just got on with the job and decided to beat them on the paddock instead.
    Australia, in my opinion, should stand by their decision to have voted for Japan as two World Cups within ten years in the same region (both in top five nations) does nothing for the growth of the game globally.
    The hypocrisy from the NZRU is unfathomable! Where were they in 2003, why weren’t they standing beside us in hosting that World Cup.
    And apart from the “Old Boys Club” excuse, they still haven’t given us a legitimate reason that we shouldn’t have voted for Japan.
    It shows the gulf between the NZRU and the ARU, NZ believes in themselves, we believe in Rugby. New Zealand now has the blood of the second tier nations on their hands and will be complicit in denying the growth of the game over the next decade.
    To further demonstrate their short sightedness, when the earlier proposal for a Super 8 was floated (Four Australian Provinces, three Pacific Islands and Japan) New Zealand vetoed it on the grounds that the IRB would be, by extension, putting money and development into Australian Rugby. No matter that this stand point has denied the opportunity of a meaningful competition for the nations that the NZRU love to claim to foster as “brothers”. Now we are faced with the proposal of some washed out six nation format, but this is okay because New Zealand A would get a crack. I bet the NPC Clubs will be “really” happy to lose not only their rested All Blacks but also their NZ A players as well.
    If the NZRU is so concerned with the development of Pacific Rim Nations then perhaps they should open up opportunities within there NPC format for extra International teams.
    Fair enough deny Australia any higher competition (we’ll continue to look after ourselves) but don’t be so narrow minded as to choke your second tier neighbours.
    How will you get future recruits into the All Blacks if you aren’t developing them in their home nations? Oh, that’s right, the PI players “choose” to go to NZ to play. In this day and age there should be enough money and opportunity in International Rugby that we have the structures in place to allow these young players to play for their own nations and own clubs with pride and passion.
    Maybe deep down, behind all this verbal bravado by the NZRU, is the undeniable fact, Australia 2 World Cups - New Zealand 1! (Without any “decent” forwards )

NZRU Statement regarding Australian Rugby Union
    09/12/2005
    allblacks.com

The New Zealand Rugby Union has reaffirmed its concerns regarding the Australian Rugby Union's decision to not support New Zealand's Bid to host Rugby World Cup 2011.

ARU Chairman Dilip Kumar resigned from his position at yesterday’s meeting of the ARU Board.

NZRU Chairman Jock Hobbs said: “Despite some previous media comment, our concern was that the ARU Board chose to support Japan in the RWC 2011 vote, so from that perspective, the resignation of Mr Kumar does not change our position nor alleviate our concerns about the ARU’s decision.”

Mr Hobbs said these concerns have been delivered to the ARU Board in writing.

“I have written to the ARU Board through Mr Kumar outlining our concerns and the damage this decision has done to the Australia-New Zealand relationship.”

The NZRU will not be making any further comment on Mr Kumar’s resignation.

ps. Following the Marseilles loss I have now renounced my French accent…..

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    As the Nu Zulleners kept saying after the "Speargate" incident... "Get over it"..

Maybe they should take their own advice.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Crutch Bind
    ps. Following the Marseilles loss I have now renounced my French accent…..
    I was wondering where that went too - gonna miss that Monsior Grippage

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Who the hell do these clowns think they are??? What are they going to do, stop playing the biggest sales matches of the year against us or send out their mighty armada and invade us?!?!? Grow up yah juveniles and well put Crutch Bind!

From ABC Rugby:

NZRU chief executive Chris Moller had indicated last month there would be repercussions for the ARU over its vote for Japan after earlier appearing to support New Zealand's bid.

In a statement on Friday the NZRU reaffirmed its concerns regarding the ARU's decision not to support New Zealand's bid.

NZRU chairman Jock Hobbs said Kumar's resignation had not affected, nor changed, those concerns.

"Despite some previous media comment, our concern was that the ARU board chose to support Japan in the RWC 2011 vote," Mr Hobbs said.

"From that perspective, the resignation of Mr Kumar does not change our position nor alleviate our concerns about the ARU's decision.

"I have written to the ARU board through Mr Kumar outlining our concerns and the damage this decision has done to the Australia-New Zealand relationship."

Now, now ladies keep your nighties on.

I think the Kiwis are right in reminding the ARU that we need to work together for rugby.

The issue with Japan "growing" rugby in Asia is bogus. The same argument was put forward for the soccer world cup and they had to resort to using students who were paid to half fill the stadiums.

I think the NZRFU is reminding the ARU that you don't shite were you eat. The Super 12 originally wasn't designed to be the Super 12 at all. South Africa did not want the Australian state teams involved as they didn't believed they were of sufficient quality. The NZRFU held out for the teams from the South Pacific Championship.

Don't forget when the ARU was technically insolvent, cash grants and rescheduling of major test matches with NZ got Aussie rugby back onto an even keel. Probably the success that was achieved in the lates 90's and on has ruffled a few feathers in NZ.

Anyway if it wasn't politics it wouldn't be rugby in NZ.

... on the 6th day God played rugby and on the 7th day he rested, because he was sore and a little hungover.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Hehe..

Personally, I think the game would have been better served going to Japan, but it didn't and New Zealand have it even without our vote - good luck too them.

Now get over it and get on with improving your stadiums! We (ARU) got more important things to worry about, like trying to get a team ready for the 2007 world cup!

Given the size of the World Cup these days, and the size of New Zealand, this will probably be the last one it is able to host...

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.