Thread: Canada outdid France: Henry

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Canada outdid France: Henry

Canada outdid France: Henry

Monday, June 18, 2007

Hamilton: It was only meant to be Canada taking notes at Waikato Stadium but New Zealand's 64-13 victory in their one-off Test also proved to be educational for All Blacks coach Graham Henry.

The coach scowled through a disjointed first half showing by his over-eager line-up on Saturday, and praised a Canadian side expected to concede a cricket score.

There was no hint of condescension when Henry rated the Canadians as a greater challenge than the French during their recent two-Test capitulation.

Being rated physically superior to a French C team may appear faint praise but the All Blacks were genuine in giving the world's No.13 rugby nation, who trailed 26-13 at half-time, plenty of kudos.

"Their defensive patterns were excellent," Henry said. "We could learn something from that … They were very physical at the breakdown. They were better than I thought they'd be."

NZPA

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I was pretty much impressed with the way they played, particularly in the first half. I think the second tier teams in the World Cup might have to keep a look out, cos based on the form they showed on Saturday they might pull off a few upsets.

Did you see the size of their No. 15!!! I thought he was a lock!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Totally agree Harry, I was very impressed and while at half time you knew the blow out was coming, I think the whole team should hold there heads high.
    Mike Pyke is the man who will drink out on that try for the rest of his days, a real man mountain for #15!
    Particular praise to their Loosehead, Kevin Tkachuk, who had a blinder, must have been a day for Canadian born Props!

CANADA EARNS RESPECT IN NEW ZEALAND

June 16, 2007, Toronto, ON

By Ian Kennedy - RC Press Officer

It isn’t often in international rugby these days that a coach comes into the opposition dressing room right after a match and compliments his opponents.

But tonight in Hamilton, New Zealand, following a game won 64-13 by his New Zealand All Blacks over Canada, coaches Graham Henry and Wayne Smith appeared into the Canadian dressing room almost before the players had come off the field.

“You can hold your heads high that was a very spirited performance and I wish you all the best. I look forward to seeing you at the World Cup,” commented Henry.

His assistant Wayne Smith also complimented Canada: “ You competed harder at the rucks than France did in their recent tests here, and the All Blacks thought you were a very physical side.”

Praise indeed.

Canada, whom many media had referred to as ‘cannon-fodder’ in articles leading up to the game, fired a few barrages of their own here in Hamilton. Canada never gave up right to the final whistle earning much praise in New Zealand for their courageous, spirited performance.

Canada competed well with what little possession it had, and fullback Mike Pyke scored a magnificent intercept try making him only the fourth Canadian ever to score one against New Zealand.

“We knew that Daniel Carter uses a lot of miss passes and they scored their first try off one,” said Pyke. “I saw the build-up coming and took a chance and it came off.”

At forty minutes, just before the half-time whistle, the scoreboard read 19-13, but right at the death, All Black hooker Andrew Hore scored and Carter converted to make it 26-13 at the break.

Then after being spoken to by coach Graham Henry at half-time the All Blacks came roaring out and scored in the first minute of the second -half to put Carter over in the corner for the first of his second-half hat trick, and those two tries put the nail in Canada’s coffin. Carter ended the game with 29 points from three tries and seven conversions in a ten-try All Black performance.

After watching the Junior All Blacks defeat Australia ‘A’ 50-0 on the stadium playback screen, and being entertained by a pyrotechnics display, the 25,000 sell-out, including a 500 strong Canadian contingent, welcomed captains Morgan Williams and Rueben Thorne. The two led Canada and the All Blacks onto the Waikato Stadium ground in Hamilton for the 7:30pm kick-off.

The All Blacks opened with a period of sustained pressure for the first two minutes, and finally wing Sitiveni Sivivatu scored after the home team won a line-out, and set up a maul near centre field.

There Sivivatu appeared in from his wing, took a pass, cut inside two defenders and scored from 22 metres out. Carter converted: 7-0, and it looked at that point like Canada would be in for a long night.

Instead Canada took it to the All Blacks and when awarded a kickable penalty inside the 22, captain Morgan Williams ran the ball. Canada was here to play rugby and not take the easy options.

At 12 minutes the Blacks won a ball on Canada’s forty-metre line and when fly-half Daniel Carter spotted centre Luke McAlister on the wing, he launched a lovely pass missing out two players that saw the North Harbour man score in the corner. No conversion: 12-0.

Canada worked its way back into All Black territory where in a fierce ruck, number eight Jerry Collins used his hands and referee Christophe Berdos of France gave Canada’s James Pritchard an easy shot at goal. He didn’t miss: 12-3.

Then at 21 minutes Pyke intercepted and went 85 metres, which Pritchard converted: 12-10.

That narrow gap was short-lived as New Zealand prop John Schwalger scored near the touchline on his debut after a long All Black build up. Carter converted: 19-10.

Pritchard struck back after Collins barged in a line-out to make it 19-13 at 30 minutes.

Canada continued to compete but found itself defending for long periods and finally Hore scored at in the 40th minute for Carter to convert: 26-13 at the break.

Carter scored his first try in the first minute of the second-half and converted: 33-13 as the All Blacks got down to serious work that would see them score seven second-half tries.

Flanker Chris Masoe scored at 46 minutes and Carter converted: 40-13. Carter scored his second at 53 minutes but didn’t convert: 45-13 and the score stayed that way for ten minutes in a period where Canada camped in the All Blacks' 22.

Despite employing its driving maul and putting the All Blacks under sustained pressure, Canada just couldn’t breach the home team’s line.

Instead the Blacks came up field for Carter to drive through a tackle and score his hat-trick at 63 minutes. He converted his own try: 50-13.

Wing Doug Howlett scored at 70 minutes, then Rico Gear at 77 minutes. Carter converted both making the final score 64-13.

“Offense is contagious,” said Mike Pyke after the game. “ And when teams get their tails up and the other team tires in defense and misses tackles, that leads to big scores. That said, 60-odd points loss to the All Blacks in New Zealand isn't as bad as when you look at three years ago when we lost 70-0 to England.

“When we held onto the ball we put them under pressure and they gave away penalties. In three or four years when we get as street-smart as the All Blacks a lot more bounces will go our way.”

“I give credit to our guys for hanging in and playing as tough as they did. I’m really happy for them, it was a gutsy performance,” said Canada coach Ric Suggitt.

“It’s mission impossible for us to compete on equal terms with a fully professional outfit like the All Blacks. We need more experience and more games like this.

“We want more, we don’t want to be considered a minnow. We want to get better and beat the All Blacks. Our guys can compete physically against anyone and we need to be able to play more games.”

“I thought we competed well. I’m very proud of my team,” said Canada captain Morgan Williams. “We had to play a lot of defense and I think we made the All Blacks work hard for many of their tries.

“It was a very spirited game and we have a bunch of hurting guys in our dressing room, but because their pride is hurt.”

At the end of the match New Zealand were presented with the Trakker Cup to mark the occasion. One wonders if the All Blacks will come to Canada next year to defend that trophy?

Scoring:

New Zealand 64

Tries: Daniel Carter 3, Sitiveni Sivivatu, Luke McAlister, John Schwalger, Andrew Hore, Chris Masoe, Doug Howlett, Rico Gear
    Cons: Carter 7

Canada 13
    Try: Mike Pyke
    Con: James Pritchard
    Pen: James Pritchard 2

HT: 26-13

Canada:

# NAME CLUB HOMETOWN RCSL
    1 Kevin Tkachuk Glasgow Warriors (SCO) Regina, SK
    2 Pat Riordan Burnaby Lake Burnaby, BC
    3 Scott Franklin Castaway Wanderers Regina, SK
    4 Luke Tait Overmach Parma (ITA) Barrie, ON
    5 Mike Burak Pau (FRA) Vancouver, BC
    6 Colin Yukes Agen (FRA) Edmonton, AB
    7 Stan McKeen Cornish Pirates (ENG) Vancouver, BC
    8 Stephen Sean-Michael Beziers (FRA) Oakville, ON

9 Morgan Williams © Albi (FRA) Cole Harbour, NS
    10 Ryan Smith Montauban (FRA) Caledon, ON
    11 James Pritchard Bedford (ENG) Sydney, Aust.
    12 David Spicer University of Victoria Victoria, BC
    13 Craig Culpan Meraloma Auckland, NZ
    14 Justin Mensah-Coker Albi (FRA) Vancouver, BC
    15 Mike Pyke Montauban (FRA) Victoria, BC

16 Aaron Carpenter (#6@ 56) Brantford Brantford, ON Thunder
    17 Dan Pletch (#1@ 76) Oakville Crusaders Lucan, ON Thunder
    18 Mike Pletch (#3@ 62) Oakville Crusaders Lucan, ON Thunder
    19 Josh Jackson (#4@ 58) Bordeaux-Bègles (FRA) Lantzville BC
    20 Adam Kleeberger (#7@ 31-40 & #8@ 73) University of Victoria White Rock, BC
    21 Dean Van Camp (#12@ 40) Aurora Barbarians Port Perry, ON
    22 Ed Fairhurst (#21@ 67) Cardiff (WAL) Victoria, BC

NEW ZEALAND

1 John Schwalger
    2 Andrew Hore
    3 Neemia Tialata
    4 Troy Flavell
    5 Ross Filipo
    6 Reuben Thorne (c)
    7 Chris Masoe
    8 Jerry Collins

9 Byron Kelleher
    10 Dan Carter
    11 Sitiveni Sivivatu
    12 Aaron Mauger
    13 Luke McAlister
    14 Doug Howlett
    15 Mils Muliaina

16 Keven Mealamu
    17 Carl Hayman
    18 Rodney So’oialo
    19 Richie McCaw (4@ 45)
    20 Piri Weepu (9@ 46)
    21 Rico Gear (13@ 46)
    22 Leon MacDonald (15@ 60)

Officials:

Referee: Christophe Berdos (Fr); Touch Judges: Craig Joubert (RSA) George Ayoub (Aust) Paul Marks ( Aus)

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Not sure which pool they are in, but I dont think they will knock over any of the big nations. They certainly showed great defence and some good hard rugby during the 1st half of the game!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    POOL B

Australia

Wales

Fiji

Canada

Japan

Agree that they are unlikely to knock over Australia or Wales Nick, but it will ensure that those two won't have the luxury of risking a half baked team against them to rest their stars and that probably gave Henry more satisfaction than anything else!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry
    I was pretty much impressed with the way they played, particularly in the first half. I think the second tier teams in the World Cup might have to keep a look out, cos based on the form they showed on Saturday they might pull off a few upsets.

Did you see the size of their No. 15!!! I thought he was a lock!
    Scotland has all of the respect in the world for Canadian rugby as we have been beaten by them. They are another team that has progressed over the years with opportunities to play Northern Hemisphere teams....good to see. Argentina, Italy and Canada have all benefitted from playing NH teams on a regular basis, which is great for world rugby.

Just happy to be here

Senior Player Contributor gustafsl's Avatar
    vCash
    They are in the pool with Australia, Wales, Fiji and Japan. They should beat Japan, going to be tight against Fiji (depends what Fiji team shows up). Unlikely to get an upset against Australia so that leaves Wales. Would be great to see them get a win against Wales and get into the quarters. They'll get hammered, but that would still mean automatic qualification for next World Cup and a lot more funding from the IRB!!!!

vCash
    Yeah I agree Burgs, I think they are good enough that you wouldn't want to send your B team in thats for sure and thats good for Rugby itself. I actually think Wales are going to be very dangerous this year and are a bit of a team to watch out for, so I wouldn't hold much hope out for them being able to roll Wales. Being competitive is the 1st step though.

The same for Argentina, but I think they are in a difficult pool to get through, but they are certainly a dark horse to watch out for.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Mind games anyone??? Mind games......mind games....get them while they're hot..the're lovely....