Wales target Wallabies coach for return

Friday, June 8, 2007

Wallabies attack coach Scott Johnson has admitted he would consider a return to Wales as the nation's coaching director.

The Welsh Rugby Union is reportedly making an audacious bid to lure the former Red Dragons head coach back to Wales where he enjoys huge popularity.

Johnson, also in the running to replace John Connolly as Wallabies coach after the World Cup, has been sounded out for the newly-created role of WRU elite performance director.

A Welsh newspaper today reported Johnson, who had a successful four-year stint in Wales as skills mentor then caretaker coach, had shown preliminary interest in the post.

"I've been asked the question of whether I'm interested, but, to be honest, I don't know what the job involves," Johnson told The Western Mail.

"But I've always stated that I have a great love of Wales and a great love of the people and the rugby.

"So it would probably be poor of me not to have a look if someone wants to throw something down. You consider it, that's what you do."

Johnson returned from Wales last year, signing a three-year deal as Connolly's assistant.

It's understood he has a get-out clause which would enable him to finish early after this year's World Cup.

Johnson is among a bumper list of high-profile candidates for the top-level role including New Zealand duo Graham Henry and Steve Hansen, both former Welsh coaches, and current Test coach Gareth Jenkins.

The 44-year-old is among the serious contenders to replace Connolly as Australian coach, along with Laurie Fisher, Pat Howard, David Nucifora and Ewen McKenzie.

Fellow Wallabies assistant coach Michael Foley has withdrawn from the race, preferring to keep his job as the hands-on forwards coach.

Johnson's popularity with the Welsh team was shown in Sydney a fortnight ago when skipper Gareth Thomas handed him his jersey after becoming Wales most capped international in the 29-23 loss to Australia.

AAP