Squad headache for Wales coach

Friday, June 15, 2007, Reuters

Wales coach Gareth Jenkins named a preliminary 41-man squad for the rugby World Cup today and said he wanted to create a selection headache when he trimmed it to 30 for the tournament starting in September.

Jenkins has merged his experimental Australian tour party with the members of the summer training camp who stayed in Wales for rest, recuperation and conditioning work to form a squad of 19 backs and 22 forwards before the final cut on August 14.

The current group will train together at the end of June, when the Australian tourists return from a three week break, and will embark on a week-long training camp in Nantes from July 21.

They will then form the Wales side travelling to Twickenham to play England on August 4 before the cull to 30 ahead of games against Argentina and France in Cardiff on August 18 and 26.

Axed Cockbain offered Cup hope

From correspondents in Cardiff
June 15, 2007

AUSTRALIA-born forward Brent Cockbain was axed from Wales' World Cup plans overnight, then told he could still make it to France in the (northern) autumn.

Cockbain was left out of a 41-man preliminary squad announced overnight, with uncapped Gloucester lock Will James drafted in to replace him.

"Will is someone we have been keeping an eye on and we felt the time was right for us to have a closer look at him," said head coach Gareth Jenkins.

Along with wing Tom James, Jones is one of only two uncapped players in the squad, which has to be cut to a final 30 by August 14.

Jenkins will have the full provisional squad at his disposal for a match with England on August 4, while the trimmed-down squad will warm up for the (northern) autumn World Cup in France with matches against Argentina and France.

The Wales Cup campaign begins against Canada in Nantes on September 9.

Jenkins said: "I've no doubt that trimming this group of players down to a 30-man squad will be the hardest selection decision I've ever had to make as a coach - but it's a challenge I relish."

Cockbain, 32, was a surprise inclusion in Wales' squad ahead of the 2003 World Cup in Australia.

He added an abrasive edge to the pack and was a key member of the 2005 Six Nations Grand Slam team. And he could yet appear at the World Cup, Jenkins admitted.

"Brent won't be working with us in the (northern) summer, but things happen, injuries occur, and I would consider him for the World Cup if circumstances change," he said.

"But I felt that we needed to up our ball-carrying options and defensive work at lineouts and I'm looking forward to seeing Will there."

Agence France-Presse

Wales World Cup training squad:

Forwards:

Huw Bennett, Colin Charvis, Ian Evans, Ian Gough, Richard Hibbard, Chris Horsman, Will James, Gethin Jenkins, Adam Jones, Duncan Jones, Alun-Wyn Jones, Ryan Jones, Michael Owen, Alix Popham, Matthew Rees, Rob Sidoli, Gavin Thomas, Iestyn Thomas, Jonathan Thomas, Rhys Thomas, T Rhys Thomas, Martyn Williams.

Backs:

Aled Brew, Lee Byrne, Gareth Cooper, Gavin Evans, Gavin Henson, James Hook, Dafydd James, Thomas James, Mark Jones, Stephen Jones, Kevin Morgan, Sonny Parker, Dwayne Peel, Mike Phillips, Jamie Robinson, Tom Shanklin, Ceri Sweeney, Gareth Thomas, Shane Williams.