Thread: Nucifora re-signs with NZRU and Blues

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Nucifora re-signs with NZRU and Blues

Nucifora re-signs with NZRU and Blues

MEDIA RELEASE
    13 June 2007

Blues coach David Nucifora has agreed to a new two-year contract with the New Zealand Rugby Union and the Blues.

Nucifora was appointed Blues’ Head Coach in 2006 following a year as Technical Advisor in 2005

This season the Blues reached the Rebel Sport Super 14 semi-finals for only the second time in nine years – and while Nucifora is proud of the team’s achievement – he says it has left a feeling of unfinished business.

“I really enjoyed coaching the Blues this season. The whole squad – players, coaching staff and management – are an excellent group to work with. I was pleased with our performance this year and the team made some big in-roads in development on and off the field. But there’s a bit more to be done yet and I’m excited about the challenge ahead.”
    NZRU Deputy CEO Steve Tew said the re-appointment was an encouraging step in retaining top coaching talent at the top level of the game in New Zealand.
    “David has proved his coaching credentials in Australia and in New Zealand and we are pleased that we have retained his services.”
    Blues’ CEO Andy Dalton is thrilled Nucifora has accepted the offer to continue on with the Blues.
    “I have enormous respect for David both as a coach and a leader. He has worked extremely hard over the past couple of years to get the Blues to where they are now. He has the full support of the Blues’ Board and we are fortunate to have him lead our side into future Rebel Sport Super 14 campaigns.
    “As Blues’ head coach, he oversees players from Auckland, North Harbour and Northland and has fully supported our endeavours to pull the Blues’ franchise region closer together.”
    One of the most successful coaches in Super 14 history, Nucifora guided the ACT Brumbies to the 2004 Rebel Sport Super 12 title, following three successive seasons as semi-finalists. That same year, Nucifora was named Australian Coach of the Year for the third consecutive year.
    Nucifora has been living in Auckland for nearly four years with his family.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash
    There bloody lucky to have him too.

mind you, I bet theres an opt out clause incase the Wallabies job gets offered to him.

vCash
    The Wallabies can have him, he should have played Rockocko, Ali Williams, Mealamu - Big game people for for the Semi's. The Blues success was owed a lot to the ramapaging Troy Flavell he really returned some steel to the forward pack! It will be intresting to see how he goes with some of his stars looking for other NZ S14 contracts and Luke McAlister looking to head overseas.