Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Feedback on the Wallabies performance

vCash
    1. Huxley won't even be a back-up kicker in the big games (if he plays), so no need to worry about his kicking form. Thank goodness for that because it was rubbish on Saturday.

2. Subi oval seems a bit slippery underfoot when it's cold. I know from reffing on it myself, and there were a few slips by both teams. You woulda thought the Force lads might have told the rest of the players to wear screw-ins, not mouldies.

3. Great to see Spanner trying hard and making the most of most of his opportunities - a truly talented player whom we need in the Wallabies 22.

4. Agree the most significant outcome from the game was keeping Fiji to 0.

5. Saw Knuckles coming onto the oval just before half time - I didn't realise how short and round he is!

6. Anyone else near the sleeping security dude and the Cherry Ripe/banana incident? Absolute classic! Haven't laughed that much at a rugby game for ages!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    No. 6....do tell

vCash
    You know the security guys who were on the oval for the whole game, sitting in chairs?

Well the guy just in front of us (railway side, city end, near goal line) nodded off during the second half. There he was, chin on chest, arms folded, snoozing away.

All of the block I was in seemed to notice it at the same time and there was much merriment and sniggers. Then someone from the block threw a Cherry Ripe bar out to him. It fell short but our sniggers turned to laughter at the sight of it flying out there.

Then the chant when up: "cherry ripe, cherry ripe, cherry ripe,"

The security dude woke to this chant but steadfastly refused to acknowledge the Cherry Ripe on the deck a few metres from him. Shortly afterwards his supervisor came out from the crowd and had a quick chat (we imagine to encourage him to remain awake for (a) the security of Subi Oval and the players, and (b) the security of his job.

Anyhoo, the "cherry ripe" chant went up again and the supervisor picked it up, acknowledged the cheers of the crown, put it in his jacket pocket and returned to his position somewhere behind us.

A wee while later someone threw a banana out to the now-awake sleepy-head. It landed a bit closer than the previous chocolate missile but our hero still refused to acknowledge it, even throughout the inevitable "banana, banana" chant.

Then, you know when all the other red-jacketed security dudes come out to ring the oval to prevent us from storming it post-game? Well, a very slightly-built lady wearing glasses was the one who was assigned to stop our block from said storming. She positioned herself a few steps from the as yet unacknowledged banana, at which time the chant resumed. She picked it up and looked to us for direction as to what next to do.

"give it to him, give it to him, give it to him" we screamed, pointing to Captain Snooze. She dutifully obliged and he finally acknowledged us by holding The Sacred Fruit aloft for a moment.

At this point in the game the ref had called time out for something - dunno what for as we were busy watching other things - and out raucous cheer and clapping seemed incongruous to others in the stadium, I imagine, as there was sod all happeneing on the field.

A great end to a somewhat boring second half!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    HAHAHA, I do remember the "incongruous cheer" and wondering what was going on

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    That's hillarious ecky, wish i had seen that...On the match, not really much to comment on, other than we best extract the digit if we are any chance in the tri nations...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2