Thread: Giteau runs out of desire for No. 9 jersey

vCash

Giteau runs out of desire for No. 9 jersey

MATT Giteau would not be bothered if George Gregan took over as Test halfback. In fact, he would encourage it.
    Giteau made it clear before heading to Perth yesterday that he would be delighted if he was allowed to return to inside centre, and be surrounded by his old Brumbies teammates. He is so accustomed to having Gregan, Stephen Larkham and Stirling Mortlock on each side of him.
    "Maybe at halfback I went a step backwards last night," Giteau said. "Things definitely improved when George went to halfback, and I went back to inside centre. Everyone probably felt more comfortable with that, and with Stirling outside me, it was like the Brumbies of old.
    "So that's what's probably best for the side, especially as George provides experience and direction."
    When Giteau took over as Test halfback during last year's end-of-season Wallabies tour of Europe, he immediately relished the new role. However, the stutters the Wallabies suffered in both Tests against Wales has prompted Giteau to have a re-think.

"You have to do whatever is best for the side," Giteau said. "I can see what the selectors are trying to do at halfback. With quick ball, I can see why they want me there at halfback, but [in] the first two Tests I really haven't had much of an opportunity to do that."
    Giteau admitted he had felt that he should consistently run from halfback, rather than always provide his backs with quick service, and that may have affected his game. After being a standout in the first Test, Giteau was far more reserved in Brisbane.
    "There is probably a few things I'm doing wrong," Giteau said. "But the reason I thought I was there was to run a little bit more and be a threat. That doesn't necessarily mean I have to run all the time, because there are obviously times when I should be passing."
    Inside centre and halfback are his two main playing options, but Giteau is also aware he may end up being the back-up five-eighth for Larkham at the World Cup.
    "I've played a little bit there for the Force, and felt pretty comfortable there. If it happens, it happens. If it does happen, it would be disappointing because it means Bernie [Larkham] is injured again."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    its about time.

connely didnt have to admit he was wrong and gits gets to play at 12. EVERYONES HAPPY. he was never going to admit he was wrong, somebody was always going to force him.

Senior Player Contributor gustafsl's Avatar
    vCash
    Why does everyone (in the media that is) keep saying that Giteau at halfback during the European tour was a huge success? Perhaps he did do alright, considering it was his first time at halfback at that level. But isn't the overall success of the team more important? And didn't they barely beat Italy, tied Wales and lost to Ireland. Doesn't seem like a great success to me.

vCash
    True...but they flogged Scotland and that must surely be seen as a huge upset in the rugby world!!!

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!