Thread: Ioane keen to seize the day

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Ioane keen to seize the day

Ioane keen to seize the day

May 31, 2007 - 10:12am
    Story by: Sportal

Qantas Wallabies' Test debutant Digby Ioane is hoping to make full use of his selection on the wing for this Saturday night's Test against Wales with the lure of a World Cup spot hovering on the horizon.

The youngest member of John Connolly's 30-man squad has become the beneficiary of the Wallabies coach's plan to give all the players in his squad international exposure before the World Cup, taking over from Mark Gerrard on the wing.

"It's all about confidence and taking the opportunity because this could be your last Test match," he said against the backdrop of the likely return of rested superstar Lote Tuqiri next weekend against Fiji.

"I'm not that nervous. I just want to get out there and play."

"You've got to perform every game to make the next step and that is the World Cup. But I'm just focusing on this weekend's game."

And while Ioane is certain to have a huge following in his adopted hometown of Brisbane, the New Zealand-born wing has admitted he's not even sure whether he can count on the support of his dad, who is a former Samoan Test representative and huge All Blacks supporter.

Ioane senior, Natu, played one Test for Samoa against the New Zealand Maoris as a flanker and remains a staunch New Zealand follower from time spent living in Wellington.

Digby's debut arrives 18 months after receiving a shock call-up for Australia's 2005 European tour when he admitted he was wracked with nerves and only managed game time against the French Barbarians in Bordeaux as a result.

But with two years as a professional now under his belt, and having developed somewhat a cult following at the Western Force, Ioane is already being talked up as a possible game-breaker by the Australian coaching staff.

Wallabies attack coach Scott Johnson has bracketed 21-year-old Digby Ioane with razzle-dazzlers like Wales' Shane Williams and England's Jason Robinson.

"He can beat most people in a phone booth. He's got wonderful feet and he's brings a point of difference," said Johnson.

"That's the beauty of players like Shane Williams, Digby, Jason Robinson - they've got something about them … and that's exciting for the crowd."

"With Digby you'll see something unique."

When asked about the comparison, Ioane was more modest but admitted that his footwork is his strength, not to mention his stunning turn of pace and optimistic outlook.

"I just love running out there and trying to beat them one-on-one," he said. "Firstly, you've got to play smart but if you know you can beat the guy one-on-one then you might as well just take him on."

"Hopefully I can score some tries," he added with a laugh.

Marc Fox

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Champion
    vCash
    its good for him but i would have thought spanner would be ahead of him for a start?

vCash
    Lets face it, if Spanner was going to get a run he would have by now. Why he keeps getting picked on the bench ( well , not all the time but you know what I mean) and not used is a cruel joke. I can only think that he has a lot of experience and Connolly doesn't feel the need to expose him to Test rugby.
    Maybe he just hates him?

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    i think so

vCash
    I hope Ioane will concentrate on carching the ball before trying to evade the defence so he doesn't drop the ball...That said, i hope he scores a few trys as well, good luck fella...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash
    Digby always like to chance himself against any opposition. He should provide some exciting (maybe risky) runs, but only IF they get the ball out to the wing enough times.
    If Larkam fails to run on (injury qeury) two-dads will be hard pressed to deliver quality ball.

vCash
    HE's a Red now - not instrested !

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    Digby will probably get home sick soon and have to play for New Zealand.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldmember
    Digby will probably get home sick soon and have to play for New Zealand.

Sssssshhhh!!! Its a secret!!!!!!!!

Hahahahaha nah good luck to him, hope he has one to remember (and in a good way)

vCash
    Good luck to Digby. Hope he makes the most of the opportunity.