Thread: Lock-less Smith likes focus on game not mane

vCash

Lock-less Smith likes focus on game not mane

Lock-less Smith likes focus on game not mane
    Jim Morton - The Canberra Times

Samson has nothing on George Smith - the Wallabies back-rower feels he's more effective without his signature dreadlocks.

Not only is the ball-pilferer less concerned about having his hair pulled by opponents, but he's now more aerodynamic and he thinks referees fail to detect as many ruck infringements.

One of three changes to Australia's starting pack to play Wales on Saturday night, Smith is almost unrecognisable without his dreads, even nine months after they were lopped off.

As wife Louise cut each one, he felt as though he was losing a limb.

But the 26-year-old said he should have taken the plunge much earlier.

The final straw came when South African players last year revealed they had put up a $100 bounty for one of Smith's dreads during a 2004 Tri-Nations game.

"It was just getting too long and it was getting pulled by opposition players and them having a bet who can rip them off and keep them," the openside flanker said. "This year I've definitely noticed the difference, the way I get around the field. I'm not worried as much and there's not as much drag."

While short hair has appeared a bad career move with his deeds being less noticeable and commentators even confusing him with Brumbies hooker Jeremy Paul during the Super14, Smith still managed to be Australia's Super14 player of the year.

"I don't go for man-of-the-matches when I play but it definitely disguises what I do. I think the referees don't pick up as much, the illegalities [as well]," he said.

Smith, still sporting his trademark hair-do in the Wallabies media guide, estimated he lost 40 dreads on the field over his 73-Test career.

"There was 110 left when I cut them off and I'm sure there was 150," he said.

"They just became a part of me. I was in so much distress when my wife was cutting it. I thought 'why are you doing it?'. But once it was cut it took me a week to get used to it and I was pretty happy.

"I thought 'why didn't I do this earlier'. You couldn't say it was like another limb but it felt like that."

Ironically, the Wallabies vice-captain bemoaned that afro-haired Welsh rival Colin Charvis would have a physical edge in the breakdowns in the second Test at Suncorp Stadium.

"His hair gets in the way all the time."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Adore this life
    There is no guarantee
    Could end by tomorrow

vCash
    i liked him more with his dreds. he was way more noticable. he cut them for a good reason though, he is now a better player now. if i was playing against somebody with dreds i would probobly pull them so i dont blame the south africans

there must have been things living in those dreds

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!