Thread: Beale and Holmes continue to wait for Australia A start

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Beale and Holmes continue to wait for Australia A start

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Exciting young backs Kurtley Beale and Josh Holmes look set to wait another week for their first Australia A start with coach Laurie Fisher hinting today he would only reshuffle his pack for Saturday's Pacific Nations Cup rugby match with Samoa in Coffs Harbour.

Fisher initially suggested after last weekend's opening round 60-15 drubbing of Tonga that he would start all the players against Samoa who didn't run on in Sydney.

However, he said today there would be changes to the pack, but the backline combinations from the Tonga match were likely to be retained.

That would mean halfback Holmes and five-eighth Beale would again be consigned to a bench spot and a cameo role, like the ones they performed last weekend.

Beale and Holmes both shone in their maiden Super 14 season with NSW, with both breaking into the starting lineup before ending the campaign on the bench.

"They will certainly be given an opportunity at some stage," Fisher said of Beale and Holmes.

Wallabies halfback Sam Cordingley, who only recently returned from chronic foot injuries, is expected to again lineup alongside his Reds teammate and five-eighth Berrick Barnes.

Australia A ran in eight tries against Tonga and, while Fisher was pleased with his backs, he described the forward's effort as "pretty ordinary".

"I thought our line out was quite good and the scrum improved during the game, but I thought our general play in the forwards was quite poor," Fisher said.

"Some of our defence work, our ball presentation and cleanout.

"The forwards have got a substantial improvement to make, I thought the backs improved significantly during the match and executed some good things.

"I don't think we provided them with a lot of good balls, so we are looking forward this week to trying to improve our forward platform."

Fisher anticipated a tough battle upfront against a strong Samoa pack.

The visitors will field several of their European based and Super 14 representatives in Saturday's game.

"They have got a big front row and an aggressive back row", Fisher said.

"They've got quite a good driving game, both off the line out and pick and drive, so it will certainly be a challenge for our forwards."

Fisher said his players had done plenty of work this week on their ruck defence and cleaning out and he had no injuries to worry about.

AAP

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs
    Tuesday, May 29, 2007
    Wallabies halfback Sam Cordingley, who only recently returned from chronic foot injuries, is expected to again lineup alongside his Reds teammate and five-eighth Berrick Barnes.

AAP
    Wallabies half-back? he hasn;t played rugby for over a year !
    I thought Gits was the chosen one.

what are these reporters on?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I guess they are refering to his five Caps

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash
    Yea, I guessed that too. just think its a bit rich.

Hope beale gets a run in the first XV soon,seems to have a good 'read' of the game.