Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Wallabies V Wales, Part Two

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Connolly confident on Giteau, Larkham

May 28, 2007 - 6:36pm
    Story by: Sportal

Australia's initial fears of being without halves combination Matt Giteau and Stephen Larkham for this weekend's follow-up meeting with Wales in Brisbane have subsided following a scare in the team's Monday afternoon training session.

Giteau tweaked his medial ligament during the warm-up and sat out the 90-minute session at Ballymore with former captain George Gregan deputising at half-back throughout.

But Wallabies coach John Connolly played down the seriousness of the injury to the 24-year-old Western Force star and insisted the medical staff were simply being cautious.

"He's just a bit sore after playing Saturday night," said Connolly after the close of the session. "He'll be OK."

"It's very low grade and it's just precautionary."

Indeed Giteau was up and about as the squad warmed down with Connolly confirming he would train in full tomorrow - probably at both inside centre and scrum-half.

"He could nearly have trained today," Connolly added.

Larkham described his first run since suffering a hamstring strain during training last Wednesday as 'very promising' with two more sessions before the side to face the Welsh is named on Wednesday.

"I got through about 30 minutes of work with the team and didn’t feel it at any stage," Larkham said.

"The doctor was happy with that and tomorrow we will progress it a little bit more."

Meanwhile, on Larkham's replacement in the No.10 jumper last weekend, Connolly added: "It was very tough for Sam Norton-Knight. He's come in at a moment's notice to play in a position where he's only played the last three games for the Waratahs."

"If he (Larkham) is right I think we'll pick him," he smiled.

But Larkham remained pragmatic and warned against hurrying back too quickly in a World Cup year.

"There's still no need to push things at this stage of the season," he said. "The goal is the World Cup at the end of the year."

"I'd certainly like to have a little bit of form under my belt before the World Cup came around."

"Getting an injury which kept me out for four to six weeks would be quite devastating."

"We're just going to manage it and make sure that there are no risks, particularly this early."

He even hinted that a rotation policy might be in place including the possibility of being rested for the Tri-Nations games against the Springboks and All Blacks in late June and early July.

"Potentially I was only going to play the first one-and-a-half games anyway and then have a rest against Fiji," he said.

"I've had my rest now against Wales and we'll have to reassess what the plan is."

Marc Fox

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    Im feeling a bit glum here. Bernie must keep it together for the RWC, otherwise trouble at mill. It would be nice to have a capable backup of the calibre of say, Isa Nacewa from the Blues who is smart and hard. I personally think that Barnes from the Reds could make a reasonable fist of 10, in the future. Why Hilgy aint around the mark at the moment has got me non-plussed as he is certainly a better option than 2 dads, and had form all season.

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

vCash
    Unfortunately he(hilgy) was playing in the wrong shade of blue for the selectors...
    I can't believe how he justified two dads selection and subsequent poor form by saying he was thrust into an unfamiliar role after only playing three matchs in the position previously for the tahs...He shouldn't have been there...
    Two dads had a shocker of a match and action needs to be taken to improve this situation...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

vCash
    like your team chook i would only change 1 or 2 people:

1. Bennnnn Robinson
    2. Stephen Moore
    3. Guy Shepherdson
    4. Dan Vickerman
    5. Nathan Sharpe (vc)
    6. Rocky Elsom
    7. George Smith
    8. Wydcliff Palu

9. George Gregan
    10. Stephen Larkham
    11. Drew Mitchell
    12. Matt Giteau
    13. Stirling Mortlock (c)
    14. Scott Staniforth
    15. Cameron Shepherd

16. Frereir?
    17. Baxter
    18. Hoiles
    19. Waugh
    20. Turner
    21. Ioane
    22. Tuqiri

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by frontrow
    Unfortunately he(hilgy) was playing in the wrong shade of blue for the selectors...
    I can't believe how he justified two dads selection and subsequent poor form by saying he was thrust into an unfamiliar role after only playing three matchs in the position previously for the tahs...He shouldn't have been there...
    Two dads had a shocker of a match and action needs to be taken to improve this situation...
    It can only mean that the selectors have shown their cards re the future number 10 for the Wobblies.
    What would really be weird is if Hilgy ( or Barnes) got a go sometime this year if Larkham pulls a finger muscle.

EDIT: Nice team Jazza!!!

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    I am happy with all of the team selections mentioned above.......but I noticed everyone had Gregan in their lineup. I say, drop Gregan, he was good, but not anymore and he will cost us a lot of penalties and maybe the game with his big mouth.
    Who will replace him.....I don't know, you tell me, maybe Cordingley (that's my choice)
    but.......that's just my opinion

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to ..........."

Senior Player Contributor gustafsl's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tdevil
    I am happy with all of the team selections mentioned above.......but I noticed everyone had Gregan in their lineup. I say, drop Gregan, he was good, but not anymore and he will cost us a lot of penalties and maybe the game with his big mouth.
    Who will replace him.....I don't know, you tell me, maybe Cordingley (that's my choice)
    but.......that's just my opinion
    If you were to have said this 1 to 2 years ago then you'd probably have most agreeing with you. However, since they waited so long to try alternatives, we are well past the time to 'experiment'. We are now only a few months and (from my count) six tests away from the World Cup. It is not the time to try new things. You may not agree (and that is your choice) but Gregan is the best option for halfback that we have at this time. Cordingley had (from my point of view) an awful game against Tonga. There were several times where he was late getting to the ruck and it cost them a few turnovers. Imagine what he'd be like with the pace of a test match.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I agree gustafsl, the time for the "rainmaker" selection is twelve months gone now.
    I watched many matches of the S14 this year, not just ones with the Force or Australian teams in it and, IMHO, Gregan was clearly still the best Australian Scrumhalf and amongst the best two or three.
    Going on the pre match interview with Bernie he is also clearly his preferred option there too and in my mind that must count a great deal.
    To combine one of the top Five Eights in the world with arguably the best Inside Centre in the world and feed them with a Scrumhalf of Gregans experience and talent really is a no brainer this close to the tournament.
    I have no problem with the concept of Giteau having enough experience to be the "playing reserve #9" so we can have another Outside Back or another Forward on the Bench but to start the match with him there is just asking to be beaten.
    Another point that seems to have slipped through to the keeper is not only doesn't Giteau want to play there, he was actually struggling at times to keep up with the play.
    There was a period during the first half that he was actually blowing out and it was only a couple of stoppages that let him catch his breath.
    Scrumhalf is one of the most aerobically challenging positions after Openside Flanker and to suddenly step up to that position from a more structured role is no easy task.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Giteau, Larkham in Wallabies pivotal pairing

Rupert Guinness
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007

THE Wallabies are expected to name a first-string halves combination of Matt Giteau and Stephen Larkham today for the second Test against Wales on Saturday.

Giteau and Larkham assured the selectors yesterday they were injury-free and fit to play in the series decider at Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane.

Giteau put a scare through the Wallabies camp on Monday by missing training with a minor knee strain and Larkham missed the first Test because of a tightening of his hamstring.

Both missed yesterday's morning session but took part in the afternoon team session of about 60 minutes, with Giteau running at half-back and Larkham at five-eighth.

That is where they are expected to be named in the Wallabies' starting line-up today, despite initial speculation Giteau would be named at inside-centre.

With Giteau staying at No.9, where he impressed in the Wallabies' lacklustre 29-23 win over Wales last Saturday, George Gregan will again be left on the bench, from where he earned his 128th cap in the first Test, at Telstra Stadium.

Sam Norton-Knight also will be on the bench, but Adam Ashley-Cooper, who was inside-centre in the first Test but had little possession, will get a second chance to impress at No.12.

Wallabies coach John Connolly was relieved yesterday knowing he could select Giteau and Larkham, who is being shielded until the World Cup.

"They both ran in the afternoon session only. But both came through unscathed in what was a final check," Connolly said.

He would not elaborate on his selection but Giteau's training at No.9 in the team's last session before the selectors met indicates he is set to play there again. It would also indicate the selectors see Giteau and Larkham as the most potent halves pairing for the World Cup.

Ashley-Cooper has the chance to make the No.12 slot his own, as long as he gets the ball in hand and is not sidelined by cut-out passes, as in the first Test.

The Wallabies disappointingly failed to make the best of plenty of possession against Wales. But the pack has refused to point the finger at the much-maligned back-line combination.

"While we might have the right to be impatient, they [the backs] probably have the same right to be a bit impatient with us," second-rower Nathan Sharpe said. "It's not about just putting it [the blame] on one or two individuals."

Sharpe said the pack needed as much improvement as the backs.

"We have a fair bit of work to do still. But the guys are working hard to get the technical things right," he said.

"They are not big things, just little technical subtleties that are going to help us give our backs a much better platform."

Sharpe played all of the Wallabies' 13 Tests last year for a total of 1040 minutes - the most Test rugby by anyone in the world.

He was also one of the strongest forwards against Wales last Saturday and was rewarded with a converted try in the 32nd minute, which brought Australia back into the match at 12-17.

"It was pretty important to get those points, it was a crucial time after giving them 17 points straight off the bat," said Sharpe whose five-pointer came two phases after a lineout 10 metres out when Australia regathered loose ball on an own throw.

"It came off a lineout that had gone wrong and we managed to realign ourselves and score," said Sharpe who barrelled through Welsh second-rowers Robert Sidoli and Australian-born Brent Cockbain to score off a Mark Chisholm pass.

"I got helped out by 'Chis'. He sold a bit of a dummy on Cockbain, which put off the attention on me. It is probably just as much his try as mine."

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2