Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Wallabies, Impressive.....NOT

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Common sense (possibly ) prevails...

Wallabies look to old guard

Sunday, May 27, 2007

John Connolly is set to reunite the old firm of George Gregan, Stephen Larkham and Matt Giteau for Saturday's second Test against Wales - and probably the World Cup - after grimacing his way through Australia's dysfunctional start to the international rugby season.

In his own words, Connolly was "keeping bat and pad close together" today, cautious against revealing too much, but he admitted selectors were looking to solidify the backline midfield after the Wallabies escaped with a desperate 29-23 victory in the first Test in Sydney.

The 40,872 diehard fans who made the trek to Telstra Stadium on Saturday night endured an 80-minute horror show before a dramatic cameo appearance from Dan Vickerman and Stephen Hoiles saved Australia's blushes after the hooter.

Trailing by a point, Hoiles collected a floating pass from fellow replacement forward Vickerman and dived over in the corner to deny Wales their first triumph over the Wallabies on Australian soil in 38 years.

As in the 29-29 draw in Cardiff last November, Australia outscored Wales four tries to two but this time the heroics of young five-eighth James Hook were not enough to spark any unexpected Welsh celebrations.

The Wallabies deserved their victory after dominating possession and territory but the performance was anything but convincing and time is running out for Connolly to decide on his first-choice backline alignment for the fast-approaching 2007 World Cup.

That is why he is leaning towards reverting to the trusted trio of Gregan, Larkham and Giteau as his all-important 9-10-12 axis after the greenhorn formation of Giteau, Sam Norton-Knight and Adam Ashley-Cooper failed to gel against Wales.

Giteau had a fine game at halfback, providing spark around the ruck and scoring a vital try, while Connolly was not unhappy with the indifferent Test debuts of Norton-Knight and Ashley-Cooper.

Indeed, Connolly said Norton-Knight may even retain his position if Larkham fails to fully recover from the hamstring strain that ruled the master playmaker out of Saturday's match and that Ashley-Cooper "will be in the mix somewhere in the next Test or two and he will get other opportunities".

But Giteau back at inside centre and Gregan at halfback is looking increasingly like the preferred option just six Tests out from the start of the World Cup.

It would not have been lost on the Wallabies brainstrust that Gregan - for so long maligned in Australia despite being widely considered the game's premier scrum-half in other countries - was given a rousing reception when thrust into the fray with the home team trailing with 15 minutes left on the clock.

"George is a great player and a very important member of our squad," Connolly acknowledged.

"He clears the ball from the breakdown very quickly and comparing what George offers and what Matt Giteau offers you're not comparing apples with apples.

"They're two entirely different types of players in what they offer.

"[Gregan] always will be important and will be all the way through to the World Cup.

"Matt also brings that strength to the midfield that we are looking for. We are searching a little bit at the moment."

Connolly said Larkham would be "pencilled in" to return for the Brisbane Test and that Gregan would start either on Saturday or against Fiji in Perth the following week with Giteau back in the centres with Stirling Mortlock.

And having targeted the Tri Nations opener against South Africa in Cape Town on June 16 as the time to settle on a World Cup combination, the Wallabies will most likely persist with the seasoned quartet as their preferred inside backs at France 2007. That is unless Ashley-Cooper - or perhaps even Scott Staniforth - can change selectors' minds with a special performance when given one last chance in the troublesome No. 12 role over the coming fortnight.

With Chris Latham not due back after knee surgery until at least the Springboks encounter and second-choice fullback Cameron Shepherd's return from his knee injury delayed by another three or four weeks, Julian Huxley is poised to receive a second crack against Wales.

In the only definite change to the forward pack, Connolly said George Smith would start as openside flanker with skipper Phil Waugh rotated to the bench.

Wallabies great Tim Horan was particularly impressed with George Gregan's performance.

"What John Connolly can really take out of that game is that it is a platform - not a strong platform - but it's the first game out of the way," Horan said.

"They can move up to Brisbane [for the second Test], where the Wallabies love playing at Suncorp Stadium and they can try to play an expansive game plan.

"He tried a few players tonight. Some worked, some didn't. I thought his bench worked very well when they came on."

AAP

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    He wasn't the only one grimacing last night...I hope he gets his sh*t together soon...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

vCash
    Finally someone who mentions the chances of Staniforth at inside centre.
    How can they overlook him for someone who has played very little footy there in Ashley-Cooper. Discraceful that he was the only one of 44 selected players for the match not to take the field. To be honest, one wouldn't have known that Ashley-Cooper had been on the field until about the 60th minute when the commentators mentioned his name. Also, how Gerrad stayed on for the full 80 minutes is beyond my belief.

Apprentice
    vCash
    Auzzies neally got done. First time I ever wished they did !

You never know till you try!

Senior Player Contributor gustafsl's Avatar
    vCash
    Why has no one mentioned the disgraceful performance of Matt Dunning? He was by far the worst forward on the field and the rumour has it he couldn't even get a good bind with the post in warm up. No wonder he left Canada, he couldn't make their team.

vCash
    i think the walibies were realy rusty and under prepaired for the game. conceding the first to trys to handling errors is usally because of bad preporation.

if they get there act together and put gregan at scrum half they will dominate the welsh next week.

vCash
    Beg to differ re 2Dads, he can pass left. A guy who can't is Huxley who looked out of place and out of his depth. Can't tackle and had hartilage problems.

2Dads had naf game though as he is too much a confidence player at this stage. Hopefully he got something out of playing a lacklustre Welsh team. He's no Larkham though. I hope Connolly experiments properly and gives Hilgy and Berrick Flahive a go while the Wobblies are playing poo teams.

Carn the Barbars!

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Sorry Chook but I reckon Two Dads (and Hux) sets the standard for how good our S14 bench players should be.
    That isn't so much talking them down, just that we should (and do) have players far better than their standard.

Speaking of passing, I noticed at least once Gits having to bring the ball to the other side of his body to make the longer passes, McCaw/Burger/Betsen would nail him while he was still changing sides...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Yeah, 2Dads was out of his depth I agree, as were a few others. He has a good passing game but he is a nervous wreck. Once he's passed that stage (hopefully) he will be quite good.

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    who is 2dads

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Last I heard Sam Norton-Knight was trying to perfect his 'Magnum' pass, but he's having problems passing left. I would say the game was disappointing in that it came down to the wire but to be fair Giteau isn't exactly experienced at 9 and our 10,12,15 were all green horns. I'd say if Wales' team was second string that so was ours. Just think how much better we'd have been if Al Baxter was on the field (sorry I shouldn't have even joked about that).

vCash
    Boks were hell good

Every forwards dream is to become a back...

vCash
    norton-knight is a myth...so are the wallabies unless we get back bernie.
    i though gits went well at half but its hard to know where he is best for the team.
    its a matter of putting staniforht in the centres.
    problem solved johnson/knuckles u morons

vCash
    Stanners need to play #12 if Gits plays #9.

Every forwards dream is to become a back...

vCash
    2Dads is a natural backup for Larkham. His passing is very good and once he has a bit more exposure to Test rugby then he will excel.

Gigsa made me do it

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast