Despite all the public unrest about certain selections, congratulations to Hux for capping a solid year and a so far "journeyman" career with his first Test Cap.
Here's to his S14 form continuing for the next five months, we will need it!

Huxley finally a Wallabies player

By Peter Jenkins
May 25, 2007

AUSTRALIA full back Julian Huxley would appear to have lived a life of privilege. His mother is the Mayor of Woollahra, his father was co-founder of Huxley Homes and he was taught at the exclusive King's School in Sydney.

But when the 27-year-old makes his Test debut against Wales at Telstra Stadium tomorrow night, it will be the celebration of a victory over struggle and adversity.

Australia selectors have never offered Huxley the silver spoon of opportunity.

He has been, from a recognition sense, a footballing battler - and it was only his stubborn refusal to give up on a childhood dream of making the Wallabies that he has now claimed that elusive Australia jumper.

As Huxley explained to The Daily Telegraph, he was poised to leave these shores less than 12 months ago.

There was a big-money offer on the table from a leading French club, no future in Queensland with the arrival of a coach that failed to recognise his talent, and self-doubt as to whether he would ever fulfil his Wallabies ambitions.

Huxley sensed his time had passed.

But poring over the offshore offer, he just could not put a signature to the attractive deal.

"I thought hard about going," the Brumbies utility explained.

"In the back of my mind though, there was always the thought that I'd regret it if I didn't give myself one more opportunity.

"Playing for the Wallabies is a milestone a lot of guys gauge their careers by, and fortunately enough it's come around now.

"I'm really excited that it's going to come to fruition this weekend and I'm proud of the fact that I've stuck it out even though there were occasions when it did look hopeless.

"Hopefully the next six months has a massive part to play in how I eventually look back on my career."

Huxley played for the Brumbies against the British Lions six years ago when he was 21. There were stints with the Australia Sevens team and Australia A, five Super 12 games for the Brumbies in 2002, and four seasons at the Queensland Reds.

But when Eddie Jones - who coached Australia from 2001-2005 - was appointed Queensland coach in the middle of last year for 2007, Huxley knew his future would have to lie elsewhere. Jones had never called him into the Wallabies mix.

"The writing was on the wall for me in Queensland when Eddie was appointed as coach," Huxley said. "I never really thought he rated me as a player. So I asked my manager to see if I could stay in Australia or whether I would just head overseas."

Fate played its part. When Matt Giteau announced he was leaving the Brumbies to join Western Force and Drew Mitchell also headed to Perth after turning down an approach from the Canberra franchise, Huxley appeared on the Brumbies radar.

His versatility led to a place at full back where solid form through Super 14 led to Test selection in the absence of Chris Latham.

"Since Julian was four years old, when he first started playing for Lindfield juniors, his dream has been to represent the Wallabies," his mother Kerry said last night.

"He has hung in there through all this and I just can't express the joy and pride the family have in seeing him reach that dream."