Thread: Protection plan for Larkham

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Protection plan for Larkham

Protection plan for Larkham

Greg Growden, Chief Rugby Correspondent
    Friday, May 25, 2007

THE plan to cotton-wool Stephen Larkham up to and including the World Cup will mean the Wallabies playing at least three different five-eighths before the tournament.

Waratahs utility back Sam Norton-Knight and Queensland Reds five-eighth Berrick Barnes will be given considerable time as the Test No.10 this year as part of the plan to keep Larkham fresh for the main internationals.

Wallabies selectors, mindful they must have their key playmaker vibrant and injury-free if they are to be any chance at the World Cup, will be carefully choosing the matches in which Larkham, who turns 33 next week, participates.

While Larkham will play in the first Test against Wales at Telstra Stadium tomorrow night, he is expected to be rested for the following two internationals against Wales and Fiji and return for the opening Tri Nations game against South Africa in Cape Town on June 16.

Wallabies selectors are uncertain whether they will spell Larkham during latter Tri Nations matches, but are expected to use him only in the major games at the World Cup.

Knowing Larkham is an opposition target, especially when it comes to the Springboks, selectors want to protect him wherever possible to ensure they get the most out of him in his farewell season with the Wallabies.

To ensure they have the required World Cup back-up for Larkham, who is in line to become only the third player to appear in more than 100 Tests for Australia, selectors want to give the other five-eighth candidates ample opportunity to play with the Wallabies back line.

Norton-Knight will get the first chance against Wales in Brisbane next week, and Barnes will be the Australia A five-eighth against Tonga at Aussie Stadium tonight.

However, selectors have ruled out playing Matt Giteau at five-eighth, with Wallabies coach John Connolly yesterday explaining that "He is not what we want at No.10".

Giteau will instead be used as a halfback or inside centre.

Connolly said Larkham was a player "we really have to manage closely, because he is definitely the key to it all".

"He is very important to us," Connolly said. "We have seven Tests before the World Cup, and we have to use that time wisely.

"At the moment, we have him pencilled in for this first Test and the Springbok Test. There is also some thought that he should play half a game against Wales next week. We'll have to wait and see, especially as he pulled up sore from yesterday's training.

"He also plays well fresh. We saw that when he came back for the Brumbies this season."

Larkham is scheduled to be part of a six-player contingent that will leave for the Cape Town Test earlier than the rest of the squad. The day before the Wallabies play Fiji in Perth on June 9, the six starting XV players will head to South Africa for the following weekend's international.

The Fiji international is expected to be the Test in which Australia play the most fringe candidates. Connolly has stressed all week that with the abundance of Test matches over a short time, it was impossible for the same 15 players to appear week in week out.

Connolly is also eager to rest several forwards, including back-rower Rocky Elsom after his gruelling Super 14 campaign with the Waratahs.

Selectors want to use Hugh McMeniman as a back-rower in the early Tests, but McMeniman's constant injury concerns thwarted that plan.

Wycliff Palu and David Lyons are expected to alternate as the Wallabies No.8, while Jone Tawake will appear in the back row during the early Tests.

Dan Vickerman's return to the starting XV should occur by the time of the Fiji Test, with him playing off the bench in the two Wales Tests. The big question is whether Vickerman will replace Nathan Sharpe or Mark Chisholm in the second row.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Senior Player Contributor gustafsl's Avatar
    vCash
    So let me get this straight. Giteau is not what they want at number 10 but Norton-Knight or Barnes are what they want?

Isn't that basically saying "we want sub-par players for our key position?"

I still think Giteau would be better at 5/8's then at halfback. And if they are so committed to playing Giteau at halfback then why isn't Hilgendorf being considered ahead of those other two jokers?

vCash
    I have ben biting my toungue on this, but i can't hold it in anymore...We play Larkham, injury prone as always but extremely gifted, and we stick the only player who is his equal in at halfback to replace the best halfback in the country (gregan)...I have to be on drugs if i was to work out the logic there...I bet larkham will get injured pretty much straight away then we will be relying on sub par substitutes while the perfect candidate is playing out of position at half, this has disaster written all over it...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

vCash
    There's no point to protecting Larkham, he always seems to get injured by himself anyway (no offence buddy ) "And Giteau isnt what we want at no. 10" - big call there, lets see how it works out for them. I guess the Wales game will show if the Wallabies are on the right track or still need to figure a few things out.

Player
    vCash
    it would be interesting to see if larkham did get injured whether he would then consider gits at fly. thats where he played best for the force...

vCash
    2Dads kicks Hilgy's bot at 10, although Sharon Flahive's daughter is not really up to Test level yet I must admit.

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chook
    2Dads kicks Hilgy's bot at 10,
    He looked great in the game against the Force. How's being Tuiquir's bitch working out for him? If you can get him a message let him know it's not too late to take the toaster into the bath.

vCash
    He's too scared to make errors now, fear is a great motivator. Hilgy is yet to learn this.

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

vCash
    Forget the protection plan, Larkham is already out, from ABC:

Larkham out of Wales Test
    Wallabies fly half Stephen Larkham has been ruled out of the first Test against Wales in Sydney on Saturday because of a hamstring injury.

The 32-year-old, who was due to win his 96th cap at the Olympic stadium, suffered the injury in training on Wednesday and was pulled out as a precaution.

His withdrawal means a debut for NSW Waratahs stand-off Sam Norton-Knight against the Welsh.

The second match in the two-Test series is in Brisbane on June 2.

-Reuters

vCash
    I knew he would get injured, just not before the game...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

vCash
    They brought Lote in for some 'motivation' and the hammy crapped itself.

Gigsa made me do it

Player
    vCash
    berrick barnes is sweet.
    alot of pressure on Norton Knight now, with he being the only flyhalf Unless they wanna play gits...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I bet Lachie is kicking himself for his injury run right about now

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.