Thread: Mitchell free to run at Wallabies spot

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Mitchell free to run at Wallabies spot

Mitchell free to run at Wallabies spot

Rupert Guinness
    Thursday, May 24, 2007

ONE day last year, Drew Mitchell looked in the mirror and didn't like what he saw: a fallen star whose career had reached the crossroads.

After dazzling Australian rugby with six tries in 10 Tests as a 21-year-old Wallabies bolter in 2005, he has since struggled for form in the Super 14. Mitchell has heard criticism of his game over and over. What he needs to do to pick up the pieces of his career. How he must answer the questions over his attitude.

But, as can be the case for naturally gifted athletes who rise to stardom quickly and with apparent ease, taking the advice can be another matter.

After being recalled to the Wallabies side for the first time since he played against Wales in Cardiff on the spring tour of 2005, Mitchell was frank enough yesterday to admit that he didn't take the constructive criticism well.

"It is something you probably don't want to hear, being a pretty competitive type of guy," said Mitchell, named at No.11 for Saturday's Test against Wales.

"You don't really want to hear someone telling you you are not putting in the yards. The reality check is not something you want to hear."

But eventually the penny dropped. Mitchell credits two men for the harsh truths he received: Wallabies coach John Connolly and Western Force coach John Mitchell, who recruited him from Queensland where his career had stalled.

"After hearing it a few times, you go, 'Hang on a minute. Maybe I've got to actually sit there and look at this'," Mitchell said. "I had to be honest with myself. I wasn't doing enough to get back into the squad."

Mitchell, 23, agreed that their advice "was a wake-up call I needed".

He also concedes that the accolades came all too easily playing for the national team under coach Eddie Jones in his debut season, when he was named Wallabies rookie of the year.

"I fell into the trap of maybe thinking things are going to go along the same way; in the same direction," he said. "I didn't put enough focus on my game to make sure I keep on improving."

That is an error Mitchell is unlikely to repeat since rediscovering life as a Wallaby last year. He toured with the squad to Europe despite suffering a fractured jaw shortly before leaving. He ended up playing the midweek games for Australia A.

As he prepares to make his Test return on Saturday, Mitchell is very conscious that waiting on the sidelines are a clutch of challengers hungry for his spot, including Lote Tuqiri, Cameron Shepherd, Digby Ioane and Scott Staniforth. It is a mix of experience and enthusiasm.

After playing at fullback for the Force this season, Mitchell has joined Mark Gerrard as the two wingers to be given first crack at cementing a place in the squad for this year's World Cup.

"They don't hand out the opportunities, so my opportunity is now," Mitchell said.

So, now that he is returning to Test rugby, is it too much to ask Mitchell to display the same flair and finish as he did in 2005?

"I would like to sit here and say hopefully I will get more [tries]," Mitchell said. "I am here for my finishing and if I don't do that, that is me not doing my job.

"It is me failing in the task I have gone out there to try and do. If I get a bit of space and I don't take the opportunity with both hands, I will be disappointed."

Now at least Mitchell knows that keeping his position is a lot harder than he first realised.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    bloody oath cause he shit

vCash
    drewballs,
    its time to extract the digit

<>

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash
    Dont think he's "shit"
    Had a fairly good season and played a 'team' game plan most weeks.

vCash
    Good luck to him, i hope he takes advantage of the opportunity being offered, and he can reclaim his talent and excell on the wing, where he should have been all year at the Force...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....