Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Standing up for a mate.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Standing up for a mate.

I am writing this because I am just a little concerned about some comments being made about our Australian Coach John Connolly.

Whilst the idea of an internet forum is to voice an opinion and I would never want to deny that here, I am concerned that some of the criticism is unfounded.

Sometimes we need to stand back and look at a situation objectively and not just take/repeat the same opinions of media hacks such as Growden.

For example…it was only yesterday when I looked back at the ages of the hooker stocks we have in Australian Rugby and realized that our own Tai McIssac was the now veteran at age 32….but with about 7 tests to his name. Now I know Connolly admires Tai for his rugby and gave him his just rewards in last years tests. But it’s now another year and I can see his reasoning in bringing on the younger brigade.

An article in last weeks paper was interviewing Drew Mitchell and one thing that stood out to me was where he said something along the lines of him having to cop the criticism of not “putting the ball out” from his kicks from behind the 25. Drew Mitchell said that he wished the commentators who were bagging him were at the pre match team meeting where it was decided and upon instructions from John Mitchell he put the ball downfield but not kick it out…now the skill to kick it that far and KEEP IT IN…is much greater then just getting it over the sideline…and I for one used to cringe when he put it downfield and it didn’t go out. But that was the Coaches order and part of the game plan and he executed it exactly. But the criticism was out there from those with the “greater opinion”

Now the thing is that we only see our beloved players in 80 minutes bursts of game time as opposed to the Coaches who see hours upon hours of training, meetings and player interaction plus pages and pages of beep test results, BOD levels and fitness results.

And while they are observing player interaction they form opinions on player that we don’t see nor understand how they wish to mould that TEAM.

Now I know there are players in the group who are world beaters on the field they might also be absolute “bastards” off field and don’t contribute to the team environment. Equally there are players who give 110% in all facets of the team but are not the best players. It’s this mix and match of players, personalities that a Coach must gel.

So while I don’t want to stop you from making criticism of John Connolly, what I am asking is that you at least treat him with RESPECT.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    yea it is getting a bit out of hand scince we dont know what does happen off the field. i mainly criticise him because of henjak not getting in the walibies squad when john mitchell was recomending him. we should see what happens and if they start loosing we will have a reason to criticise him this much but at the moment he hasnt realy done anything wrong or lost. i will cut back for a while then.

Quote Originally Posted by traveling gerry
    An article in last weeks paper was interviewing Drew Mitchell and one thing that stood out to me was where he said something along the lines of him having to cop the criticism of not “putting the ball out” from his kicks from behind the 25. Drew Mitchell said that he wished the commentators who were bagging him were at the pre match team meeting where it was decided and upon instructions from John Mitchell he put the ball downfield but not kick it out…now the skill to kick it that far and KEEP IT IN…
    i cant stand people who put down drew because of his kicking and all of the negative comments the commentators make. im sure if he wanted to kick it out he would and at the games when he wants it out it is a great kick and it goes out.

vCash
    Good thread TG, I also saw that article about "Turbo" and felt bad for sometimes moaning when his kicks didn't go out. In saying that, Drew has by far the best torp in the team (Force).

Respect...

Last edited by Shaun; 23-05-07 at 19:37.
    Every forwards dream is to become a back...

vCash
    Hear, hear TG...what it all comes down to is how would you feel if you were in their position and getting heat etc. After a certain point, it becomes unproductive and demeaning. Like Bill Pullman puts it in Independence Day, "Isnt it amazing how quickly everyone turns against you." i watch too many movies

vCash
    Its all in the game cant take the heat get out of the kitchen, is that not the saying

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    I will put my hand up for giving my thoughts on Knuckles. I know he is a good mate of Gerrys and has been for years and i respect the right of Gerry to stick up for a mate, it is the Australian way. I honestly thought that Knuckles could lead us out of the woods. Give him is due, the ARU is doing nothing to help the cause by bouncing from one crisis to another with their lack of leadership, clubbie infighting and no cojones to inforce discilpine, ie Frontrows mate.
    It doesnt come down to respect. I am bewildered by what is going on per see. I feel we are only rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. From strange selections,Trestle, Fatty, Frier, Ashley double barrel etc. No Henjak, co captains, bloody Lote.
    I seriously hope im wrong with my feelings about the game and would love to be proven wrong. We will find out in the Tri nations id suggest. Perhaps i need a holiday. Go the Wallabies.

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

vCash
    Knuckles is in a no win situation - he is doing what he thinks is right but hasn't had the opp to develop the team/depth that he wants and is faced with an aging player population on the back of a poor Aus S14 season

TG is right - we don't know/see it all but most are really worried that
    1: Knuckles ain't getting the backing resources he needs
    2: The depth in the front row is appalling - which makes it seem odd that a talent like Hardy ain't called up yes I'm biased
    3: Players like Hewett jumping up and down like 2 years olds get called up
    4: The whole Train On thing was a mystery - was that intended to be a public humiliation to the players not getting through to the next stage
    5: Knuckles needs a spin doctor rapidly to help him explain all of this stuff to us the paying punters who want the Wallabies to look good

Am guessing that Wales is a opportunity to experiment slightly but I'm guessing most like me want to be able to look at the team list 100 days out from the World cup and know which position the players are going to be in - who will be the captain and all that Jazz

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    As with TLH, Gerry, I respect where you are coming from.
    However, by his own choice Knuckles has only one task.
    It isn't to develop players, make friends, play mind games or politics, or carry fallen players or staff.
    As he has chosen not to re-new his contract, John Connolly has the sole focus of winning a Rugby match on the 20/10/07 at St Denis.
    Now obviously he is the professional Coach and I am just a chump with a keyboard however, my biggest beef is that his words and actions are often at odds with each other.
    These issues are well covered elsewhere but in summary Knuckles has indicated that the Wallaby Squad will be fundamentally made up of the form players of the Super 14 with a few coming down to interpretation.
    This in so many ways is plainly not the case from the Front Row to the Back Row to his Halves and Centres experimentation.
    If he had said, "I'm just going to pick the side I believe will come together under my match plan", then many of us would possibly sit back and say, "Ok, let's see what you have got."
    That is not the case, he said he would pick on 2007 Super 14 form.
    Clearly he must believe we have absolutely no chance of winning the WC without Giteau playing at #9, as no sane man would otherwise contemplate destroying a still World Class 13 year Provincial and International partnership with only seven matches remaining before show time.
    Clearly he believes that Link cannot get the full potential out of his players and that his Staff can get more out of the Tahs Props (having already failed to in 2006) than the Brumbies have achieved with the form Australian front three.
    And it wouldn't matter if Tai McIsaac and Jeremy Paul never played another match after the 20/10/07, they are the two form technical and athletic performing Hookers from the Super 14. Period.
    I have nothing personal against the man and, especially due to your friendship with him, have always looked at him favourably and with great hope.
    Maybe he is pulling the masterstrokes while the rest of the Rugby world is ignorant.
    If that is the case I will be the first with cap in hand to apologise and admit I was wrong, it wouldn't be the first time.

Last edited by Burgs; 24-05-07 at 00:47.
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Rookie
    vCash
    Don't think you'll be eating humble pie and clapping to much Burgs

Senior Player Contributor gustafsl's Avatar
    vCash
    I don't think people don't respect Connolly it's just that some of the stuff he does just seems pointless. I guess there may be some bias in these forums because it seems most of the odd selections involve Force players. I think the dumbest thing they did was have the 59 player list. All it did was make it obvious that there were a handful of players left out for reasons beyond their rugby abilities ie (Hewat, McIsaac, Henjak). If they had just named enough players to fill Wallabies and Australia A then I think there wouldn't have been as much criticism. To even argue that McIsaac and Henjak are not in the top 6 for their position is just ridiculous. However, if they had simply been left out of Wallabies and Australia A I could at least understand it. The other issue is what Jeremy Paul was talking about. Connolly has said on more then one occasion that players were picked on form. So why then is Waugh starting ahead of Smith. Smith was player of the year, and Waugh didn't play most of the year.

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash
    Excellent support of the incumbant Gerry. I was one of a very few who believed that Connoly was a great choice - to turn around the front row and forwards issues plaquing the Wallabies. However, I have become very disollusioned by his inability to correct key, yet simple, technical errors in Australian scrumming. I will take a slight backward step and admit that most of my vitriol is directed at Connoly and perhaps should be more gerneraly sprayed at selection panel.

The selectors insist on playing props who have had trouble binidng for more than 3 seasons - no improvement ! A past forward, who resolved scrum problems at Bath has done little to alter the make up or ability of the Wallabies scrum.

Selectors seem to me to be inconsistent in selection matters, great favour going to Tah's expensive players. On this points lets ignore Connoly for a moment. The ARU seems to spend a disproportionate $ on NSW team members. If, as we keep bieng told, these are great players just having a bad run then it must be the management/coaching staff who have failed in getting them to go from Top (06) to Bottom (07). When will heads roll in NSW? Never - they hold sway on the ARU board and hence the pursestrings of rugby in Australia.

There is a clear perception that the selectors, along with the coach, are not picking on performance merit. I have psoted on this before and was quouted in the Telegraph the other day. Enough said.

I dont know of many people who have criticised Drew Mitchells kicking. Frustrated when the game plan, or kick, falls down and the opposition capitalise - YES ... critical NO. I think he is still young and backs himself to run though the opposition too often, in time he will learn to trust his team more and choose options wiser - he EARNED a spot in the Wallabies on FORM and CONSITENCY.

I'll admit that like most on this forum, I am not privy to the game plan or coaching strategem. I have been able, most of this year and last, to see the outline of the Forces plans and see when it works and whenit fails AS A PLAN. In those cases I have never abused or knocked a player for tyring to execute the plan.
    In Connoly's case, and the Wallabies selectors/coaching staff, I have diffuculty in seeing a plan. Maybe its just soo incredibly subtle, or maybe after watching the spring tour last year and scratchign my head at selection - there is not great master plan.

My biggest bug with Connolly, and this is NOT the SELECTORS, is his insitence on tryinng to play Git's at #9. We have one of the best test level half-backs in the world, there are a couple of excellent protoges at S14 level who can step up. The process of removing the Best Centre in Australia, then complaining that theire is a 'hole' in the centres looks like sheer bloody mindedness and harbours a touch of lunacy.

If it sounds dumb, and it looks dumb, and in practice (srping 07) it works dumb ... I contend that in all probability it IS DUMB. Only a fool or a genius continues with a plan in the face of overwheliming evidence that it is a bad plan. Either Connoly is a genius, and the Wallabies will win the RWC, or not. I have my doubts and I reserve the right to express them.

I dont believe I have made personal attacks, or disparaging remarks about the man, just his plans and actions. I regret that a freind of yours is facing much public wrath, but he asked for the hot seat and must weather it. I am happy to be proven wrong ... but I have predicted that the Wallabies will not make the RWC semis and stand on that. I believe we have good players, not always great but good, and I do not see that the structure and style of play the current coaching/selection staff seem intent on will bear fruit.

Connoly and his staff can allay my fears, and prove me wrong by thrashing Fiji, and Wales (not their best squad), and haveing brilliant and consistent performances in the Tri-Nations. Then making the quarter finals of the RWC.
    I can't see any of the above happening at the moment.

Personally I intend to try and watch Australia A games on ABC2 - in the hope of seeing a game plan, at national level, and players who won't hold back.

vCash
    I applauded when Connolly was chosen as i thought it would help cleanse some deadwood from the team, but i have slowly lost my faith in him over the last few months, due mainly to almost all the points previously spouted above...I have nothing more to add really, i just hope he can pull off a miracle in a few months, because we will need one...(sorry TG)...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

vCash
    With you on the last comment Frontrow

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hopep
    Excellent support of the incumbant Gerry. I was one of a very few who believed that Connoly was a great choice - to turn around the front row and forwards issues plaquing the Wallabies. However, I have become very disollusioned by his inability to correct key, yet simple, technical errors in Australian scrumming. I will take a slight backward step and admit that most of my vitriol is directed at Connoly and perhaps should be more gerneraly sprayed at selection panel.

The selectors insist on playing props who have had trouble binidng for more than 3 seasons - no improvement ! A past forward, who resolved scrum problems at Bath has done little to alter the make up or ability of the Wallabies scrum.

Selectors seem to me to be inconsistent in selection matters, great favour going to Tah's expensive players. On this points lets ignore Connoly for a moment. The ARU seems to spend a disproportionate $ on NSW team members. If, as we keep bieng told, these are great players just having a bad run then it must be the management/coaching staff who have failed in getting them to go from Top (06) to Bottom (07). When will heads roll in NSW? Never - they hold sway on the ARU board and hence the pursestrings of rugby in Australia.

There is a clear perception that the selectors, along with the coach, are not picking on performance merit. I have psoted on this before and was quouted in the Telegraph the other day. Enough said.

I dont know of many people who have criticised Drew Mitchells kicking. Frustrated when the game plan, or kick, falls down and the opposition capitalise - YES ... critical NO. I think he is still young and backs himself to run though the opposition too often, in time he will learn to trust his team more and choose options wiser - he EARNED a spot in the Wallabies on FORM and CONSITENCY.

I'll admit that like most on this forum, I am not privy to the game plan or coaching strategem. I have been able, most of this year and last, to see the outline of the Forces plans and see when it works and whenit fails AS A PLAN. In those cases I have never abused or knocked a player for tyring to execute the plan.
    In Connoly's case, and the Wallabies selectors/coaching staff, I have diffuculty in seeing a plan. Maybe its just soo incredibly subtle, or maybe after watching the spring tour last year and scratchign my head at selection - there is not great master plan.

My biggest bug with Connolly, and this is NOT the SELECTORS, is his insitence on tryinng to play Git's at #9. We have one of the best test level half-backs in the world, there are a couple of excellent protoges at S14 level who can step up. The process of removing the Best Centre in Australia, then complaining that theire is a 'hole' in the centres looks like sheer bloody mindedness and harbours a touch of lunacy.

If it sounds dumb, and it looks dumb, and in practice (srping 07) it works dumb ... I contend that in all probability it IS DUMB. Only a fool or a genius continues with a plan in the face of overwheliming evidence that it is a bad plan. Either Connoly is a genius, and the Wallabies will win the RWC, or not. I have my doubts and I reserve the right to express them.

I dont believe I have made personal attacks, or disparaging remarks about the man, just his plans and actions. I regret that a freind of yours is facing much public wrath, but he asked for the hot seat and must weather it. I am happy to be proven wrong ... but I have predicted that the Wallabies will not make the RWC semis and stand on that. I believe we have good players, not always great but good, and I do not see that the structure and style of play the current coaching/selection staff seem intent on will bear fruit.

Connoly and his staff can allay my fears, and prove me wrong by thrashing Fiji, and Wales (not their best squad), and haveing brilliant and consistent performances in the Tri-Nations. Then making the quarter finals of the RWC.
    I can't see any of the above happening at the moment.

Personally I intend to try and watch Australia A games on ABC2 - in the hope of seeing a game plan, at national level, and players who won't hold back.

could you say that in about 5 words .

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Some things justify more than an internet attention span jazza

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast