Henry warns leavers

Sportal

New Zealand rugby stars lured by the prospect of lucrative contracts in Europe are doing their international representative aspirations no good, according to All Blacks coach Graham Henry.

As quoted by NZPA, the All Blacks boss believes the current exodus of big name New Zealanders to Europe is a problem that could have a long-standing impact on the game in the Southern Hemisphere.

"It's a huge problem," Henry said.

"I don't think they'll develop as well in a club environment compared with an international environment.

"The risk they take is that they come back and somebody has established themselves as better than them because they have developed better during that time."

Carl Hayman, Aaron Mauger and lock Chris Jack, who are all still under 30, will be joining European clubs at the end of the season.

Meanwhile, star All Blacks halfback Byron Kelleher is also set to depart New Zealand's shores after the World Cup to take up a place at French side Agen.

Numerous other players, including Rico Gear, Jimmy Cowan and Luke McAlister, have also been linked with British clubs but Henry is hoping they will reconsider.

"I was told there were only three No.10s playing in the Premiership who are English," Henry added.

"I just can't understand what they're doing in Europe to develop their own players with all these top players coming from around the world."