Thread: Who said that AFL footballers aren't bright?

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Who said that AFL footballers aren't bright?

I owe a lot to my parents, especially my mother and father." (Shane Wakelin)

"Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." Mick Malthouse - Collingwood

"I'm going to graduate on time, no matter how long it takes." Peter Bell -Fremantle - on his University Law studies.

"You guys line up alphabetically by height," and "you guys pair up in groups of three, then line up in a circle." Barry Hall Sydney Captain
    at training.

Brock Maclean (Melbourne) on whether he had visited the Pyramids during his visit to Egypt: "I can't really remember the names of the clubs that we went to."

"He's a guy who gets up at six o'clockin the morning regardless of what time it is." Kevin Sheedy on James Hird.

Jonathan Brown, on night Grand Finals vs Day Games "It's basically the same, just darker."

Ron Barassi talking about Gary Cowton "I told him, 'Son, what is it with you. Is it ignorance or apathy?' He said, Barassi, I don't know and I don't care.'

Barry Hall (Sydney) when asked about the upcoming season: "I want to kick 70 or 80 goals this season, whichever comes first."

"Luke Hodge - the 21 year old, who turned 22 a few weeks ago." (Dermott Brereton)

"Chad had done a bit of mental arithmetic with a calculator." (Mark Williams)

"He scored that goal after only 22 seconds - totally against the run of play." (Dermott Brereton)

"We actually got the winning goal three minutes from the end but then they scored." (Ben Cousins, West Coast Eagles)

"I've never had major knee surgery on any other part of my body." (Luke Darcy)

"That kick was absolutely unique, except for the one before it which was identical." (Dermott Brereton)

"Sure there have been injuries and deaths in football -but none of them serious." (Adrian Anderson)

If history repeats itself, I should think we can expect the same thing again." (Andrew Demetriou)

"I would not say he (Chris Judd) is the best centreman in the AFL, but there are none better." (Dermott Brereton)

"I never comment on umpires and I'm not going to break the habit of a lifetime for that prat." (Terry Wallace)

Garry Lyon: "Have you ever thought of writing your autobiography?
    "David Swartz: "On what?"

"Well, either side could win it, or it could be a draw." (Dermott Brereton)

"Strangely, in slow motion replay, the ball seemed to hang in the air for even longer." (Dermott Brereton)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    I'd take these two out of the list, they are bloody clever. The rest are classic Aussie Rules attitude.

Ron Barassi talking about Gary Cowton "I told him, 'Son, what is it with you. Is it ignorance or apathy?' He said, Barassi, I don't know and I don't care.'

"I never comment on umpires and I'm not going to break the habit of a lifetime for that prat." (Terry Wallace)

vCash
    Well they aren't the only ones who have said the same things.

"Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
    -Football commentator and former player Joe Theismann:

Paul Hamm, Gymnast: "I owe a lot to my parents, especially my mother and father."

"I owe a lot to my parents, especially my mother and father"
    -Greg Norman

"I'm going to graduate on time, no matter how long it takes."
    -Senior basketball player at the University of Pittsburgh

What about this dude? I wonder what kind of car he drives?

The best quotes from Sky TV's rugby man, the ubiquitous Murray Mexted:

"You don't like to see hookers going down on players like that."

"He's looking for some meaningful penetration into the backline."

"Spencer's running across field calling out, 'come inside me, come inside me.'"

"I can tell you it's a magnificent sensation when the gap opens up like that and you just burst right through."

"I don't like this new law, because your first instinct when you see a man on the ground is to go down on him"

"Darryl Gibson has been quite magnificent coming inside Andrew Mehrtens, and I'm looking forward to seeing more of the same today."

"There's nothing that a tight forward likes more than a loosie right up his backside"

"Everybody knows that I have been pumping Martin Leslie for a couple of seasons now."

vCash
    But... but... the ignorance and apathy one was a Rugby union quote wasn't it? It was my TWF signature for like a year and I got it from David Nucefora (sp?) talking to one of his players a few years ago.

I made Happy sad...