Thread: New captains

vCash

New captains

George Gregan has said he agrees with the appointment of Phil Waugh and Stirling Mortlcok as co-captains of the Wallabies for the upcoming domestic Test series.
    The Wallabies announced their 30-man squad at the season launch on Sunday with centre Ryan Cross, wing Lachlan Turner, scrumhalves Sam Cordingley and Josh Holmes, flyhalf Berrick Barnes, injured prop Rodney Blake and big No.8 Jone Tawake, the players cut from last week's 37-man squad.
    But the main talking point was the naming of co-captains for the first time in Wallaby history.
    Gregan, who plays under Mortlock in the Brumbies line-up, said he had long been calling for a sharing of the leadership role in the Wallabies.
    "Being captain or not captain won't change the way I prepare for a game," he said.
    "Because you still need to perform whether you are in a leadership role or not so it won't detract from doing what I have always done and that has been being really diligent in my preparation for Test matches.
    "But I have been saying this for years and that is you really half a dozen strong leaders in your group if you want to have a successful campaign.
    "We are really try to promote leadership throughout the squad and it is a good chance to do that. We have some really worthy recipients with Stirling and Phil Waugh.
    "Phil hasn't played much this year but he is a really respected player among the group. And then we have some really strong leaders underneath them in the group."
    Waugh and Mortlock were separately handed the captaincy duties after George Gregan, who has led the team since 2001, was rested from last November's tour to the UK and Italy.
    But the move to continue the pair sharing the role has confirmed that Western Force star Matt Giteau would be the starting scrumhalf for some of seven upcoming Tests during the Bundaberg Rum Rugby Series.
    "I think it is a reflection of the day, we have a big squad and we are looking at utilising all of them this year and giving them exposure to Test match rugby," explained Mortlock at the team announcement at Manly Rugby Club on Sunday.
    "This time last year it was identified that we needed a bit more leadership within the team and this year we have really moved on in that way."
    "Having someone like George Gregan, who has a vast amount of experience and is a great sounding board for Waughy and I and then there is a lot of other guys like (Nathan) Sharpe and (Stephen) Larkham that will be involved in the leadership of the team.
    "To be named co-captain is a huge honour and a huge responsibility," agreed Waugh.
    "I fully understand that with George Smith around, I won't be starting every game, so it is just a matter of balancing things out and depending on selection and who the coach will name as captain of the side.
    "So I will be working with Stirling in a leadership capacity and we have 30 guys in the squad leading up to the World Cup so it is important that we have that leadership around.
    The Wallabies play their first Test of the season against Wales on Saturday in Sydney.

I think its a good idea because Gregan might not be on for the whole time with gits at 9 so Mortlock is a good choice he is a good leader and he is a smart player. Waugh is also a good choice and is a good leader for the forwards.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Player
    vCash
    waugh and smith starting in the same side?

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash
    Sorry Jazz - I disagree with the whole co-captain concept

name me any national group with "joint (implying equal) leaders"

Do we have: co-coaches?; co-governors?; co-prime ministers?; any corporation with co-CEO's?

No - why ?
    Because leaders need to be a distinct and unique individual!

At test level - real internationals - the Captain is not just the on-field commander for the day, he is the touring teams focal point, leader, role model etc. This does not help the Wallabies, or the ARU, in setting high standards.

vCash
    Interesting to note that the Junior All Blacks have also gone down the co-captain path. Daniel Braid and Marty Holah are the co-captains. It seems to be the popular thing to do at the moment.

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Co-Captains is a Co-Cop-out.
    Have commented elsewhere on this but I feel it implies that neither player has the respect or ability to be a dominant leader in his own right.
    Leadership by Committee is ridiculous.
    Of course Gregan is supporting it, the way Knuckles is going if he disgreed he wouldn't play another Test Match.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Heartily agree Burgs.
    Its been pinched as an idea from AFL, where they can't decide which of a bad bunch is likely to stay out of Jail/media spotlight/bar brawl for most of the season.

Champion
    vCash
    hmm... waugh was finding it hard to make the team last year ... yet some how he is co-captain? anything co-.... is a cop-out. it shows that the wallabys have no leaders amungst the group even though they do! if gregan is in the team he SHOULD be captain.

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    How about....Sharpe captain, Giteau as his junior offsider. Plenty of passion there and both run on?

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing

vCash
    Yup - co-captain is an anachronism. What you do want, however, is to make sure that you're investing in your players to ensure that you have someone ready to step up as captain when the time comes (especially as you could be forced into it sooner than you think due to injury).

It's the same as for staff in any organisation - if you don't have someone ready to step up for promotion, you haven't managed your staff very well!

The English cricket captaincy for the first test against the Windies was WEIRD - Vaughan hanging around giving advice because he's the 'tour captain' and Strauss on the balcony reading a tabloid newspaper, clearly feeling sidelined. The coach is there to provide continuity of leadership over the course of a series, but you need to put your trust in whoever is your captain on the field on the day.

OK, rant over. Back in my box.

Keeping the Faith ... right here in Perth!

vCash
    i think two captains would be good for now against easy teams. it will help the less experianced players to have lots of people to look up to. it will also help them find out who to put at captin for the world cup. they have to make there mind up before there though they need 1 real leader.

Rookie
    vCash
    Gregan may give support for team harmony ,but I doubt he agrees with Coach C's plan, he didn't willingly decline the captaincy did he?
    What benefit comes from 2 Captains? It's a crock! Just another tradition and role being downgraded by the new regime.
    How many Vice Captains have we now??? must be 4 if the maths works out.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Perhaps Knuckles has been inspired by the World leading Kenyan's?

Six captains to spearhead Kenya challenge

17 May 2007
    By Eric Odanga, in Nairobi for IRB

Six former captains have been selected in the Kenyan squad to depart on Monday for the Emirates Airline London and Edinburgh Sevens, the last two tournaments of the 2006/07 IRB Sevens World Series.
    Read the rest: http://www.irbsevens.com/EN/England/...7+SL+kenya.htm

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    LOL - don't give him (Knuckles) any more ideas

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    Knuckles ! More ideas - thought he'd run out and was on scrounge!