Thread: Gregan's captaincy axing confirmed

vCash

Gregan's captaincy axing confirmed

Gregan's captaincy axing confirmed

Stalwart George Gregan has been dumped as Wallabies captain in a 30-man squad named today for upcoming Test matches against Wales.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    NO MORE EXPERIMENTING KNUCKLES!!!! DON'T MESS WITH A GOOD THING!!!!!

If there is one thing Gregan could do it was lead his team...

Stupid ARU... what will they stuff up next!?!?!

I made Happy sad...

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    I suspect it may have something to do with the lack of confidence that he will last the whole world cup that has swung the decision.

Just happy to be here

vCash
    Has he not proven himself worthy with an outstanding super 14 season? What more do you have to do these days?!?

I made Happy sad...

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    Although he's a pain in the bum, I think he has done an amazing job of bringing himself back to form and reckon he should have had a crack at the captaincy but in saying that I don't have a problem with Waugh and Mortlock either.

Just happy to be here

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Firstly, personally I hate Co Captains.
    To me it implies that neither is good enough to do the job on their own.
    As a past Captain of many teams I would have preferred stand down than have to lead by committee.
    Secondly, this would indicate that Waugh will be the starting #7 for the big matches? If Knuckles is so experimental with every other recognised position how come he is locking Smith out?
    Thirdly, the Rugby Nations and players around the world must be just rubbing their hands together in glee in between scratching their heads at the "Madness of King Knuckles".
    Why on Earth, coming into the most experience reliant phase of the four year cycle, would you be tampering with the most experienced Test player ever, the most experienced Test Scrum Half ever, the most experienced Scrum Half-Five Eight Test and Provincial paring ever and the most respected (Internationally) Captain going around????
    If this was 2004 then fair enough, 2005 I can see the argument but SEVEN TESTS out from the World Cup?!?!?!?!?!
    Gregan has been one of the most resilient players in the pro era, he has virtually never been injured off in 250 Test and Super Rugby appearances and yet they are making contingency plans as if he is suddenly some frail pensioner.
    And who is this wonderful replacement?
    It's not even another experienced player in the position!!!
    A player who is arguably the best Inside Centre in World Rugby who has not played as a Scrumhalf in Senior Rugby except for four Tests last year as an experiment...anyone recall the results of those four Tests....
    Not exactly a consistent performance by the team....but we will continue the experiment none the less
    It's a disgrace and Gregan deserves far better in the final phase of his Australian Rugby career.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash
    heartily agree Burgs.
    Co-Captains misses the point that this is a National Leadership and Spokeperson role, both on and off the pitch.
    Managers or coaches who try co-captaincies look and sound like micro managers - keep everyone a little off balance to reinforce their own position as supreme commander and font of all knowledge.

Can't see it benefiting Wallabies in any way - Experience is the greatest teacher ... Gregan has learnt a hell of a lot and is still a top player.