Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: No Stadium?

vCash

No Stadium?

We have all heard the news, this new proposal will not work for Rugby fans. I say let them build the new stadium and lets develop members equity. The task force clearly has no interest in building a stadium for anything else except AFL.

I personally would not be opposed to paying a one off brick payment for the development of a proper venue for Rugby.

Then there are major sponsors, such as Woodside and BHP etc who would make big brick payments.

It can be done people, Rugby Union in this state has the people resources to do amazing things.

WE CAN BUILD IT.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Hasta la vista Pam

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash
    Hear Hear,
    I too think we should buy ME abd build our own.

Sure - use the new stadium for Tests etc but 25,000 seats is enough for nearly all WF games. If the force lose more supporters because of poor venue in 2008 , I can see us not having 20,000 at home games.

vCash
    I agree with you, we need to finance our own stadium, with corporate $$$ and sponsorship...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    All I say, with plans to use Members Equity, don't cut of your nose to spite your face.
    With a rectangular ground we are supposedly going to see an increase in crowd participation rates with "customer satisfaction" improving etc?
    Well here are the crowd figures from our first two seasons in the "terrible" Subiaco.

Date-Opposition-Crowd
    10/02/2006 Brumbies 37,037
    24/02/2006 Chiefs 29,239
    17/03/2006 Waratahs 26,140
    25/03/2006 Bulls 23,392
    31/03/2006 Stormers 24,507
    21/04/2006 Crusaders 30,230
    2/02/2007 Highlanders 30,704
    24/02/2007 Lions 25,523
    9/03/2007 Hurricanes 27,648
    16/03/2007 Reds 26,032
    30/03/2007 Sharks 28,400
    27/04/2007 Cheetahs 24,313
    4/05/2007 Blues 30,083

Average:
    2006 Average 28,424
    2007 Average 27,529
    Lifetime 27,942

Now, if you use the above "Lifetime" figure in place of the inaugural match figure (ie to flatten it out a bit) you will find that attendances actually went up in 2007. Less people paid Memberships for sure, but more people went through the gates.
    Now, with a "terrible" Home Ground we have already exceeded 30,000 on four out of thirteen occasions, with a "losing" 2006 to remember.
    We have exceeded the above proposed 25,000 Stadium on all but three of thirteen occasions!
    So what happens if we lock into this smaller ground?
    The full house sign goes up in our third, fourth or fifth year, the ability of "passing interest" punters to check out a match is reduced to scoring a seat from a Member and Union is once more choked in Western Australia.
    Away from the Stadium debate I think all of us see Union expanding in WA with greater playing numbers, increased Juniors retention and obviously a flow on of increased Force followers.
    Why on Earth is it a possible outcome that we should voluntarily help out the Union haters in this state, of which there are many (especially it seems in Stadia politics!) by reducing our ability to expand our supporter base.
    It makes absolutely NO SENSE to me whatsoever.

By Year 2:
    Average attendances overall- 27,942
    Force v Australia- 29,736
    Force v New Zealand- 29,581
    Force v South Africa- 25,227

Personally, for all its faults, I would prefer to stay at Subiaco for as long as it takes to get a decent rectangular Stadium of our own (ie, Union/Soccer/League etc), even if crowd numbers do dwindle to 20,000 (which despite the doomsayers I don't believe they will) than to sell ourselves and those who fought so hard to get the Force established in Western Australia short by accepting a tin pot compromise that will set us back a decade or more in growing our beloved code in this State.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    If you go to that report you will find a pdf with the 25,000 and 35,000 rugby/soccer/league ground proposals.

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    AFL has a huge following in Perth so we can't expect the public to fund something that the majority of people do not yet perceive as being useful. Only a winning S14 team with a real prospect of a home final will increase crowd sizes and improve the popularity of rugby union in Western Australia. The Western Force has an excellent support base, especially considering performances in 2006 and 2007, so we don't have all that much to complain about.

vCash
    This is rumor control stuff but I heard that the Force are charged rent of $250,000 per game which means that each home game is running at a loss because say the average punter pays $50 a ticket then they only make $150,000 a game - personally I'm worried about this maths

I agree Burgs the more peps the better - however I would rather be part of a select few with membership / seats than have the Force committed to a financial conundrum

Also I'm waiting to see what the AFL peps make of this stadium because if it doesn't work for them then we have more chance of getting an upgrade to ME , the hospitals sorted (listen to 720 way to much !) etc..

Also really believe that Carpenter's government don't have the guts to embark on a project like this.

If nothing is in the offing from the Government I'm hoping that the ARU backs RugbyWA to build one - but the ARU is a mess at the moment - don't think RugbyWa has the financial creditability/ turnover to be able to undertake an upgrade on their own

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    they should just move the team to melbourne were it should have been to begin with!

vCash
    Them's fighting words WJ - maybe not the best for your first post on a Force site!!
    After all, huge support in Perth for a union team, and not that much in Melbourne even if you do have the stadiums.

Maybe we need another show of support - what can we spell out on Subi oval this time? - New 30,000 seat rugby stadium for Perth - I'm sure we can get enough people for that!

vCash
    its not fighting words, melbourne already has one stadium and there building a better one, you just have a tracing of an egg with seats around it!

vCash
    No point having a stadium if you don't have the fans to fill it!

vCash
    Unfortunately the crowd at subi for the Wallabies game wouldn't be an encouraging sign for any development either, i know the catch 22 is you want the good games like NZ and SA, but you need to fill what you have first.

vCash
    Understandable the crowd numbers against a team like Fiji though. The previous years against Ireland and South Africa, we've had pretty good crowd numbers.

vCash
    Granted peolpe stayed away, but it was against fiji (who i love and are very entertaining) as well as the crappy viewing facilities on offer, that contributed to a mediocre attendance that evening...Just look at all the previous tests against Sth Africa and Ireland, near sell outs....Unfortunately this time around the crowds decided not to come, but it doesn't mean we don't have the support base, 'cause we clearly do, and it is not just Wallaby supporters either, (which explains the large doses of colours mixed in with the sea of blue from the supporters of the kiwi and Sth African mobs)...Rugby in WA is here to stay, and will grow bigger and bigger, and if we had decent facilities , we'd be bloody huuuuge...
    Darryl eastlakes style...

Proudly bought to you by a brewery somewhere....

vCash
    Oh definitely there is the following in WA, it's beautiful to see and often reminds me of Sydney during the 03 RWC. I don't really know what the answer is though, I've heard many times a bledisloe won't make it over there until there's a 60,000+ stadium, the stadiums seem to not focus on rugby. *shrugs* Bloody AFL...

Darryl Eastlake HE-UUUUUUUUUGE, love it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast