Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Norton-Knight gets the nod

vCash

Norton-Knight gets the nod as Larkham's back-up

Norton-Knight gets the nod
    By Jim Morton - FOX Sports
    May 13, 2007

WARATAHS utility back Sam Norton-Knight will get first crack at cementing the contentious position of Stephen Larkham's back-up by debuting for the Wallabies at five-eighth.

Norton-Knight, almost dropped by the Waratahs midway through the Super 14 season, is set to debut against Wales this month and also get a run-on start at No.10 after an impressive form-reversal.

Along with Larkham and Berrick Barnes, he was today one of three fly halves named in a 37-man Wallabies squad to enter a three-day training camp in Sydney on Tuesday.

National selectors overlooked exciting teenagers Quade Cooper and Kurtley Beale, preferring to groom them for the future, beyond September's World Cup, through Australia A's Pacific Nations Cup campaign.

Canberra-born, Gold Coast-schooled Norton-Knight also has a spot sealed in Australia's 30-man squad to be announced next weekend ahead of a two-Test series against Wales, starting on May 26 in Sydney.

Coach John Connolly intends starting Norton-Knight against Wales or Fiji (June 9 in Perth) with the dual purpose of developing a reliable back-up to Larkham and easing the load on the irreplaceable 95-Test maestro.

"Managing Stephen Larkham is a major issue for us,'' Connolly said.

"We have seven Tests to the World Cup and everyone in rugby realises how important he is and how we manage him through.

"We have to decide who the back-up to Stephen is. Against Wales or Fiji that player will have to get a chance because we can't afford to get to the quarter-final at the World Cup and then all of a sudden (Larkham) is not playing.''

Barnes was the other main challenger for the role but Norton-Knight's superior head-to-head performance in the Waratahs' round-11 win over the Reds and Queensland's late-season capitulation counted against him.

It won't be the first time Norton-Knight has acted as understudy to Larkham, whom he played behind at the Brumbies in 2004 and 2005.

Norton-Knight's Test elevation comes two months after being in the headlines when star teammate Lote Tuqiri shoved him after a "brain explosion'' tap kick on full-time against Western Force which cost the Waratahs a match-winning penalty attempt.

First-choice Waratahs halfback Josh Valentine is the surprise exclusion from the 37-man squad, with Connolly and fellow selectors Scott Johnson and Mick O'Connor preferring young Waratahs teammate Josh Holmes.

Holmes, who started just one Super 14 match in 2007, was picked alongside George Gregan, the versatile Matt Giteau and returning Red Sam Cordingley who will ramp up his comeback from foot surgery for the A-team.

Brumbies prop Nic Henderson was also a selection table loser, missing out to Waratah Matt Dunning who played his most recent Test in November 2005.

Connolly is mindful of managing the workload of several stars, particularly back rower Rocky Elsom who has played and trained almost non-stop since November, and will mix and match his team against Wales and Fiji before the Tri-Nations.

"Australia in future will have to get used to having a 30-man squad. The whole key to success in future for Australia is competition in positions like (openside flankers) George Smith and Phil Waugh,'' he said.

League convert Ryan Cross will join his first Wallabies camp but indications are he'll miss selection in the 30-man Test squad as the Wallabies look to develop him through the A-team's five-match campaign, kicking off on May 25 against Tonga.

Australia A coach Laurie Fisher will get a squad of 25 players which will be adjusted after the first two Pacific Nations Cup matches.

Like Cordingley, a 60-minute club performer for Brisbane Brothers this weekend, Waratahs lock Dan Vickerman will attend the training camp after playing 20 minutes in his comeback for Sydney University in a 57-15 win over Warringah.

37-man Squad:
    Adam Ashley-Cooper, Berrick Barnes, Al Baxter, Rodney Blake, Mark Chisholm, Sam Cordingley, Ryan Cross, Matt Dunning, Rocky Elsom, Adam Freier, Mark Gerrard, Matt Giteau, George Gregan, Stephen Hoiles, Josh Holmes, James Horwill, Julian Huxley, Digby Ioane, Stephen Larkham, David Lyons, Hugh McMeniman, Drew Mitchell, Stephen Moore, Stirling Mortlock, Sam Norton-Knight, Wycliff Palu, Benn Robinson, Nathan Sharpe, Cameron Shepherd, Guy Shepherdson, George Smith, Scott Staniforth, Jone Tawake, Lote Tuqiri, Lachlan Turner, Dan Vickerman, Phil Waugh.

Injured players not considered: Greg Holmes, Chris Latham, Clyde Rathbone, Morgan Turinui.

Cut from 59-man Squad: Richard Brown, Gareth Hardy, James Hilgendorf, Junior Pelesasa, David Pocock, Troy Takiari, Rudi Vedelago (FORCE), Mitchell Chapman, Quade Cooper, John Roe (REDS), Alister Campbell, Nic Henderson, Jeremy Paul, Julian Salvi, Adam Wallace-Harrison (BRUMBIES), Kurtley Beale, Will Caldwell, Tatafu Polota-Nau, Brett Sheehan (WARATAHS)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Evie; 13-05-07 at 21:07.
    Adore this life
    There is no guarantee
    Could end by tomorrow

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Forwards:

Al Baxter, Rodney Blake, Mark Chisholm, Matt Dunning, Rocky Elsom, Adam Freier, Stephen Hoiles, James Horwill, David Lyons, Hugh McMeniman, Stephen Moore, Wycliff Palu, Benn Robinson, Nathan Sharpe, Guy Shepherdson, George Smith, Jone Tawake, Dan Vickerman, Phil Waugh.

Backs:

Adam Ashley-Cooper, Berrick Barnes, Sam Cordingley, Ryan Cross, Mark Gerrard, Matt Giteau, George Gregan, Josh Holmes, Julian Huxley, Digby Ioane, Stephen Larkham, Drew Mitchell, Stirling Mortlock, Sam Norton-Knight, Cameron Shepherd, Scott Staniforth, Lote Tuqiri, Lachlan Turner.

Brumbies: (5/6) 11
    Force: (1/6) 7
    Waratahs: (9/4) 13
    Reds: (4/2) 6
    Total: (19/18) 37

These selections are so stupid I'm not even going to bother commenting, roll on 2011.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash
    Baxter, Blake and Dunning all get picked ahead of Hardy - Mitch (Snr) is right, S14 form does mean stuff all!

Similarly (well not really as he didn't even make the 59) Cordingley (1 game) and Holmes (1 game) are ahead of Henjak.

Interesting to see Diggers get a go?

vCash
    F*&k knows what Connelly's thinking there!

How do the bottom two performing teams get more than half the squad?

How do both the Reds and the Waratahs have more forwards there than the Force?

How can we have only one player more than the Reds capable of making this squad when there was such a difference between the two teams during the season?

I just don't get it, but looking at my vcash, I guess Knuckles might actually know more than I'm giving him credit for!

C'mon the

vCash
    Because they have better players that's why. Sheesh! Why is everyone so upset? Connolly knows what he is doing.

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chook
    Because they have better players that's why. Sheesh! Why is everyone so upset? Connolly knows what he is doing.
    If you combine the previous 2 comments this would imply you are referring to Baxter and Dunning!! - are you sure you want to put your name to that statement!?!?!

vCash
    There are a few big omissions in my opinon but I'd like to know why Jeremy Paul was cut from the squad? He had a fantastic season for the Brumbies. Freier and Moore as the options at hooker seems somehow wrong.

Adore this life
    There is no guarantee
    Could end by tomorrow

Player
    vCash
    good to see they have kept cordingly in the squad despite his injury. he is such a gun and can be a matchwinner for the wallabies if he is fit, deff worth keeping around....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by felixnelson
    good to see they have kept cordingly in the squad despite his injury. he is such a gun and can be a matchwinner for the wallabies if he is fit, deff worth keeping around....
    Maybe he's there to fetch water & pick up the tackle bags after each session.....!!!!

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    Henjak did a pretty good job running water in (I think) the Reds game. Why those skills weren't good enough to get him in is anyones guess. I guess because Cordingly has followed Connelly around the world is why he got the nod, his water-carrying skills are a known quantity already.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WF2006
    If you combine the previous 2 comments this would imply you are referring to Baxter and Dunning!! - are you sure you want to put your name to that statement!?!?!
    Baxter and The Dunning are the bomb! Man those guys are great players, sure, Al gets a lot of dodgy calls from refs but he is still a class above all other props in world rugby. The Dunning is just great, I rest my case.

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Don't rest it, Dunney might eat it

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I slowly move my case away from The Dunning!

Gigsa made me do it

Senior Player Contributor gustafsl's Avatar
    vCash
    Can't see it happening but maybe someone outside the 37 man squad will be picked for the final 30. Why the hell Jeremy Paul was left out is beyond me. Naming 59 players in the first place just says to everyone that they have no idea what the hell they are going to do. It's almost like they named the 59 players to see what the public reaction would be to their picks and then cut it down based on that.

Why is it that Connolly seems to be the only person in Australia that wants Giteau to play scrumhalf? Why isn't he being considered in place of Norton-Knight to replace Larkham?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chook
    Al gets a lot of dodgy calls from refs but he is still a class above all other props in world rugby. The Dunning is just great, I rest my case.
    Can't say i agree with a single word in that comment.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast