Thread: I miss league and want to go back: Schifcofske

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

I miss league and want to go back: Schifcofske

I miss league and want to go back: Schifcofske

Adrian Proszenko
    Sunday, May 13, 2007

CLINTON Schifcofske will contemplate a return to rugby league after giving up all hope of wearing the Wallabies jumper.

Despite being overlooked for the Wallabies' 59-man train-on squad, Schifcofske has no regrets about switching to rugby union. But the former State of Origin back said he would consider a return to league after he fulfils the final year of his contract with the Queensland Reds next season.

"I'd like to come back," he said. "Whether somebody wants me is a different question. You never know, I'd be open to anything.

"My interest is definitely there. It's a great game.

"It's all good and well wanting to come back but it's whether you're good enough at the time and if somebody wants you. You never rule it out.

"I just turned 31 and have a year here. I'll be 32 when I finish.

"I'm feeling fresh but 12 to 18 months is a long time and things could change.

"I wouldn't rule out any opportunity, whether it be rugby union or rugby league. You can play rugby in all parts of the world - Japan, Ireland, France, Italy, England.

"There's plenty of options there and I've always thought about being part of Super League."

Schifcofske revealed his greatest regret about his code switch was leaving behind a leadership role at Canberra, although he said a return to the Raiders was unlikely.

"I was skipper at the Raiders for 12 months and it was a role I really enjoyed," he said. "That's the thing I miss the most and it's the hardest thing to get my head around.

"It was something I was ready for and I took steps as a leader and player with that responsibility.

"There are some terrific young guys there and I know they really did respect me.

"Coming [to the Reds] as a rookie and not knowing the game that well, it's pretty hard to speak your piece and lead from the front."

The veteran fullback said he was surprised by his omission from the Wallabies train-on squad. "I'm a little bit disappointed, but when I came across I never expected to play for the Wallabies," he said.

"It would have been good to train with those guys for a few weeks in camp just to expand my knowledge of the game, but it wasn't to be."

Asked if he thought he had any chance of representing Australia in Test rugby, he said: "No, not at all."

The former Eels and Crushers fullback said he was pleased with his own form for a team that finished with the wooden spoon.

"Even though it was a disappointing season for us as a franchise, I'm satisfied with the way I went," he said. "I didn't set the world on fire. I was thrown into the deep end a bit when we lost [fullback Chris Latham], but I'm pretty proud of what I've achieved this year."

Schifcofske said coach Eddie Jones was the man to lead the Reds to happier times after they were hammered 92-3 by the Bulls last weekend. "In Pretoria it was pretty lacklustre but we've got a few excuses," he said.

"We were missing six Wallabies and we've been missing them for at least three-quarters of the year.

"If you pull Darren Lockyer, Shaun Berrigan, Petero Civoniceva, Karmichael Hunt and Brent Tate out of the Broncos, they wouldn't fare much better than we did this year.

"We're not hiding behind excuses. That last performance just wasn't good enough . . . but we'll be OK.

"We'll get those blokes back on deck and we've got the right bloke running the show in Eddie Jones.

"I've had a fair bit to do with him this year and he's a strong character. He's a winner. He's definitely the guy to lead us out of the strife we're in.

"There might be a few people slipping the boot in but hopefully a few of those guys will be patting us on the back this time next year."

Schifcofske, who predicted Queensland would dominate State of Origin football for the next five years, said decision-making and getting used to the influence of rugby referees were the hardest parts of his code switch.

"There's a lot of decisions you've got to make - do I run, do I pass, do I kick? It's a lot more complex than rugby league," he said.

"That's the beauty of rugby league. It's black and white and can't be ruined by the interpretation of the referee, if I can say that. That's the difference between the two games."

Rather than training with Australia A, Schifcofske will now prepare for a stint with a Brisbane club side. When he returns for the Reds next season, he will switch to the wing to make way for Latham.

He said a fit Latham was a must if the Wallabies were to be a force in the World Cup in France. "You'd wheel him out there in a wheelchair," he said.

He expects South Africa to take the title.

FACT:
    Schifcofske contributed 102 of the Reds' 201 points for the season. He scored one try and kicked eight conversions and 27 penalty goals.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Go back and take your ball with you, just another as been from the other code.

Player
    vCash
    he wasnt bad..
    very professional performance for a first yr player, but really, who wouldnt be tempted to go back to the league after playing with the reds this season...

vCash
    yea he was good but he is alot better at league

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jazza93
    yea he was good but he is alot better at league
    Unless the rest of the reds improve we won't know that for sure if he goes elsewhere. But he'll cop the usual criticism for "not ruling out" a return to RL , as just one option among many in a lengthy interview. He's a straight shooter who's shown nothing but the highest integrity throughout an illustrious career.

vCash
    A lot of straight shooters have come through the hard knock school of union to.

vCash
    Well that's a surprise, when he was a raider, I always though him pretty level headed and sensible, but to say that he expected Wallaby selection in his first year at 31 playing in the same team as the best (arguably) fullback in the world shows a ridiculous amount of up-yourself-ishness to run back to League at the end of your first contract in such a situation is either world class looking-for-a-massive-contract-ism or championship shitty-with-the-world-dummy-spitting-baby-ness

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GiteauIsGunnaScoreTwenty
    to say that he expected Wallaby selection in his first year at 31 playing in the same team as the best (arguably) fullback in the world shows a ridiculous amount of up-yourself-ishness to run back to League at the end of your first contract in such a situation ......................
    Read it again.

He said he was "a little bit disappointed" not to get a shot in the training squad because he would have liked the opportunity to learn from the senior Wallabies. He also said the he had not expected to make The Wallabies.

Then he went on to say ................

Quote Originally Posted by Clinton Shifcoske
    I wouldn't rule out any opportunity, whether it be rugby union or rugby league. You can play rugby in all parts of the world - Japan, Ireland, France, Italy, England.
    He's talking after a 2 year contract at The Reds. He'll be 32 by then. If you're gonna criticise the bloke at least understand what he actually said, take that in it's proper context and don't just believe what the headline says.