Unfortunately I fell asleep during the second half and missed it

Vickerman return cheers Wallabies

Jamie Pandaram
Saturday, May 12, 2007

The wait is over, at long last. Dan Vickerman will take the field today for the first time since the Wallabies' European tour last year.

Having missed the Super 14 season after undergoing a reconstruction of his right shoulder, the Waratahs and former Wallabies vice-captain makes a welcome return for Sydney University in their round-six Shute Shield clash against Warringah at University Oval No.1.

"I am quite excited and I can't wait to get back out there," Vickerman said. "You do a lot of training and it's good to see the rewards of that out on the field. [Today] will be the tell. I haven't played for a while but I'm very confident. I am a little bit nervous but ready to go."

Uni coach Damien Hill said Vickerman, who was cleared to return on Thursday, would only play the final 20 minutes of the game upon medical advice. "He's just happy to pull on the jersey and get back out there," Hill said. "He takes his football very seriously. At this stage, he will come on in the second half, probably about 20 minutes in. That is based on medical advice we've been given.

"The bonus has been more in training. He has lifted the intensity another notch. His presence makes a big difference and it is good to get him back."

The return of one of Australia's most dynamic forwards couldn't have come at a better time for Uni, who will attempt to overtake second-placed Warringah on the ladder with a victory. Wallabies assistant coach John Muggleton, who has been taking Vickerman through contact drills over the past fortnight, said the rangy lock is bigger and stronger than ever.

"He looks good, he looks fit and ready to go," Muggleton said. "He is getting a lot of force behind his runs, he is hitting the pads hard. "Unfortunately, there has to be someone holding the pads, and that has been me. I have been a bit sore and sorry these past couple of weeks."

Vickerman injured his right shoulder during last year's Tri-Nations against South Africa, 14 months after it had been reconstructed. After the drawn Test against Wales in Cardiff last November, Vickerman was forced to have a second reconstruction due to the pain and immobility.

Muggleton said Vickerman would need some game-time to regain confidence in defence, but expects him to rejoin a 30-man Wallabies squad in two weeks - Vickerman said he would also be available for Uni's next match against Eastwood.

Muggleton compared Vickerman's injury to those suffered by league star Benji Marshall. "They are technique-related injuries," he said. "When you make a tackle, you've got to have everything tightened up and ready to hit with the shoulder.

"If you saw the way Benji tried to tackle [Israel Folau] on the weekend, he was flat-footed and had his arms stretched out to make the tackle. The technique was all wrong, and it was the same with Dan."

Vickerman said: "I certainly think the technique is improving all the time. Power and technique goes a long way to making dominant tackles."

In other games today, Eastwood host Randwick, Gordon are at home to Penrith, bottom-placed Illawarra travel to North Sydney, Souths host Parramatta, and Waratahs fullback Peter Hewat, who was left out of the 59-man Wallabies training squad, lines up for Manly against West Harbour at Manly Oval.