Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Best rugby school

Apprentice
    vCash

Best rugby school

Just looking for some information on which Perth schools have the best rugby program or at least the best history... it's for my boy who at the moment is built like Bam Bam.

cheers

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Well i would have to say atm Hale, Aranmore and Trinity would be your best options ... Although history says that Trinity is the best. The old First XV coach Ken Sass led the boys to 78 wins from 80 games. He also led the Trinity rugby community to 7 seven consecutive years winning all games from years 8 threw 12. He now coaches the year 9's i think and has those boys going well. The First XV is now coached by Jerry Scott. He coached Uni Prems or still does im not sure but yeah hes in control of them.
    Hale has won the comp for the past four years and has good representation in the National Talent Squad. There rugby program is strong but im a trinity Old boy an i must say Trinity is the place to go. The last time i played Hale we put 50 points on them and they came second in the comp
    Aranmore is also a good rugby school . They traditionally were a leauge School but have now converted and recently took out the John Welbourne Cup. They have also had many Aus Schoolboys league players come from them. I think Pugsy Coaches there first XV

Apprentice
    vCash
    thanks jb... being a mick, Trinity may be the go.

Champion
    vCash
    Wesley College produced Adam Wallace-Harrison and from the last few years have produced some excellant players - Matt Suter, Callum Saure, and Billy-J-Cooper. Currently with first 15 coach Dwayne Nestor and Head of rugby current Wests player Leon Felton...

Aranmore, and Hale is the best PSA rugby school.

Apprentice
    vCash
    pruc, ... the hyphen is in town as we speak.. good to see a few schools are big on rugby

vCash
    Nah mate, go Scotch. Scotch has a fairly good reputation in rugby. But they've also got a good balance between academic and sports. You don't put a kid in school only mainly based on how good their rugby program is. In scotch, you can be sure that your kid has a good education and yet still have a good sports program.

Trinity is more of a football school. And speaking of famous players, Scotch produced the only WA born-and-bred Western Force player/Wallaby, John Welborn. So if you're truly a force fan, go Scotch. Plus they've got 2 Rugbywa development officers plus the state schoolboys head coach in their coaching staff.

vCash
    We all about dropping names
    im pretty sure trinity has one fo the leading astrology departments and technology centres in WA. We have also been the only school to produce 2 Austrailian School Boy rugby players !

Champion
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gotheforce
    Nah mate, go Scotch. Scotch has a fairly good reputation in rugby. But they've also got a good balance between academic and sports. You don't put a kid in school only mainly based on how good their rugby program is. In scotch, you can be sure that your kid has a good education and yet still have a good sports program.

Trinity is more of a football school. And speaking of famous players, Scotch produced the only WA born-and-bred Western Force player/Wallaby, John Welborn. So if you're truly a force fan, go Scotch. Plus they've got 2 Rugbywa development officers plus the state schoolboys head coach in their coaching staff.
    1. adam wallace-harrison will rep aus soon.
    2. wesley have 2 development officers, 1 ex school boys coach, 3 schoolboys players as coachs, there headmaster.
    3. wesley dont give sports scholarships. so most players on the field are fairly smart.
    4. a true force fan wouldnt go for just any school, a true force fan would go for the team they have a connection with.

vCash
    Hale is by far the leading rugby school in WA. Our head coach Steve McFarland was in charge of the Western Force Academy; but decided to return to Hale to coach our 1st team and to teach History. He is also the 1st grade coach of Soaks. Ben Lindeegard a former Western Force Academy member takes the 10A's. Hale have been represented well in the past years at state schoolboy level and will most certainly do so in the years to come. Our first team has won the cup for the last few years and I would put everything on them to bring it home again this year.

The thread topic says "best rugby school" so talk of academics are irrelevant. Anyways Hale is the top PSA school as accoriding to the last couples of years TEE results.

Last edited by Shaun; 12-05-07 at 15:02.
    Every forwards dream is to become a back...

Apprentice
    vCash
    You mean you can get a scholarship for rugby, how good's that ? Who offers them ? Hale obviously..

vCash
    i dont wont to get to involved in this but im sure the rugby clubs and familys do alot more then the schools do to develop players. the schools cant take much credit for the profesinal players is what im trying to say

Champion
    vCash
    they can in wallace-harrisons case. the headmster at the time didnt allow him to change from footy to rugby. look what happened since he didnt swap codes. but that is a true point. clubs do alot more developing players and the schools take the credit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pruc
    3. wesley dont give sports scholarships. so most players on the field are fairly smart.
    No PSA school gives scholarships for sport.

I personally would have said Hale would be the strongest PSA rugby school, and for as long as I can remember always has been.

Aranmore give Rugby scholarships and I would say they would be the best rugby in Western Australia. Yet they are a bunch of idiots. Because they get scholarships for Rugby. (I'd know, they make up my Club)

Scotch certainly does have plenty of people in the know with a few RugbyWA representative coaches. Even the headmaster has played representative rugby. Scotch also produced the ONLY Western Australian Wallaby. Yet I would not suggest Scotch as being the best Rugby school in the metro area.

Last edited by Mtbeaver; 12-05-07 at 20:16. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Champion
    vCash
    agreed beaver. hale for as long as i can remember is the best rugby school. and aranmore is the best in WA.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I've been away from the system too long to say anything than the parochial "Go Scotch" however, I would say that every school has its day and, while the lads who are currently in the PSA may only remember Hale winning, that isn't the end of the story.
    Prior to that Trinity came from the Rugby wilderness in 1991 to take the title for several years off Scotch, who had had a very strong few years ('89-'90 undefeated etc) and prior to that it was always Guildford and Aquinas at the top of the log and daylight second back into the early 80's.
    Flame may recall beyond that but I seem to recall from looking at the Redmond in '90 that it was Guildford, Aquinas and Scotch with the most victories to that point.
    Might be a handy little task for Shaun to see if he can access the trophy cabinet and take down the names.
    I do remember in one of the Scotch Old Boys newsletters a history of the Redmond Cup, I may have it somewhere.
    Anyway, while Hale is certainly the dominant Rugby School currently (and for some time), the nature of PSA competitions is an ebb and flow between the Colleges where only a handful of boys can change the outcome against the favourites.
    If in '90 you had said that Guildford would be crap at Rugby in 2007 (as indicated elsewhere, I don't know that my self) I would have laughed at you because they were always in the mix.
    I do agree with gotheforce though, there are far bigger issues to consider than just the Rugby program when picking a school....there's the Rowing program too
    Kidding, Scotch has a fantastic approach to all facets of education and any male kids of mine that I know of will be going there....evetually.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast