Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Waratahs star to head overseas

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Waratahs star to head overseas

Waratahs star to head overseas

By Jon Geddes
    May 09, 2007

A SHATTERED and disillusioned Peter Hewat will meet New South Wales Waratahs coach Ewen McKenzie today where he is expected to officially seek a release from the final year of his contract after missing a spot in the national squad.

After being robbed (have to own something to be robbed of it) of his long-term dream to represent his country, the record-breaking NSW back is ready to turn his back on Australian rugby and accept a lucrative offer to play with a cashed up overseas club.

"You would think in a squad of 59 people I'd be somewhere in the mix," Hewat said. "I think the words I have used in the past were 'disappointing' and 'frustrating', but it is beyond that now."

After scoring 570 Super points for NSW over three seasons, Hewat has constantly been snubbed by the Wallabies - playing only two games for Australia A back in 2005. Against the Junior All Blacks he was man of the match.

"The worst thing about the whole situation is that I have never been given an opportunity to show my wares," Hewat said.

"At the Wallaby level they don't think my game is up to it, but you never know until you have a go do you? (So more cheap Caps are the go Peter?) People said my game would not suit Super rugby and hopefully I've proved a few of them wrong."

Hewat, 29, says after this latest setback he has to make some hard decisions after previously knocking back tempting overseas deals in 2005 and 2006 to stay with NSW.

"You are not in the game a long time. I have to start looking to set myself up for the future," he said. "If I can't break into that side it's probably best I move on and give someone else an opportunity."

Hewat has no shortage of offers, with two French clubs, two in Japan and one in England falling over themselves to secure his signature.

And he will use Wallabies legend Matt Burke, who is now playing in England, as a role model.

"He wasn't wanted here and went to Newcastle where he turned his career around and became captain," he said.

Hewat is not naive and is well aware the criticism that his defence, and not being physical enough, have probably cost him a shot with the Wallabies.

"They are not going to be the best parts of my game, but I have improved in those areas," he said.

"It's just a perception, (Dead right, your perception is it has improved) but perceptions are the hardest thing to kick. It's something l'll probably have for the whole of my career and something I'll deal with."

Hewat's partner Alicia Wright, who has been with the goalkicking back through the ups and the downs, has never met a more determined person.

"Over the last couple of years every time he gets turned down he only goes harder and stronger," she said.

"But I think after three years in a row its probably time to move on."

It is ironic that the meeting which could decide Hewat's future will be held with McKenzie, who has been one of his biggest supporters.

"I owe Ewen a great deal, giving me a chance when nobody else would," Hewat said.

"I'll sit down with him to talk things through and see what his feeling is."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    He has performed well over the last 3 years but this year was the 'lesser' of some good years. I reckon even if he had the best year ever and kicked the goals that mattered he still wouldn't get a look in.

He should take the flash and head OS, good servant for the team but when you are not on some selectors Christmas card list, well....

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

Apprentice
    vCash
    Did this story come from the Sydney media??

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    correct me if I'm wrong - and I usually am .. but wasn't he already leaving the teh's at the end of the season and heading off somewhere ?

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    He's seeking an out from the last year of contract from memory. Its from the Sydney media, I mean, is there any other media thats any good in Australia? I think not.

EDIT: The top line of Burgs post says hes seeking a release.

Laura Force Addict v Chook scrabble-off on Facebook: laura & Force Addict 0 | chook 9

Gigsa made me do it

"He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty." – Lao Tzu

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    except for TWF, you'll hear it here first!

80 Minutes, 15 Positions, No Protection, Wanna Ruck?

Ruck Me, Maul Me, Make Me Scrum!

Education is Important, but Rugby is Importanter!

vCash
    i dont know if anyone else rates him but i like him (cant really explain why, maybe it's cos he's from manly as well as me) i think he wanted out last year because he was overlooked for the wallabies but gave it one more year to see if anything would happen on that front

vCash
    ....And according to Ch9 news Ewan is not letting him go as he is seen as one of the top assets at the Tahs and they are not in the business of letting go of talent. Excuse me while I choke on that.

Gigsa made me do it

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    So, what's changed in the last couple of weeks Link???

NSW may release Hewat early

Sunday, April 22, 2007

The Waratahs may consider granting Peter Hewat a release from the final year of his contract should the champion point scorer wish to pursue a big-money move overseas.
    While McKenzie indicated he would prefer Hewat to stay and honour his contract, he said the Waratahs also needed to be fair to the player.

"There's a human element in all this," McKenzie said. "I don't think you want to be too bloody-minded about it.

"We've always had a philosophy to try to develop players for the national team and if it becomes clear that someone's never going to play for the national team ... and we're not talking about a 20-year-old here.

"We're talking about a guy that's [almost] 30-plus and there's some big opportunities for him.

"He's had really serious offers thrown at him from overseas and he's spurned those over the last couple of years - and rightly so because we've had him on contract.

"We'll just see what the lie of the land is come Wallabies selection time."

Waratahs block Hewat release

May 09, 2007

THE New South Wales Waratahs will not release outside back Peter Hewat for the 2008 Super 14 season.

Hewat met with Waratahs coach Ewen McKenzie to discuss the possibility of being let go a year early to pursue a contract overseas.

But the 29-year-old was knocked back by his mentor.

"You have to look at him as an asset, he's a point-scoring asset for the organisation and you don't tend to let them walk out," McKenzie told Channel Seven.

"Right here and now I'm not releasing him."

A disgruntled Hewat said he'd wanted to pursue other options outside Australia after missing the extended 59-man Australia train-on squad named on Monday.

Hewat, who has scored 570 points for NSW over three Super 14 seasons, has had a difficult time convincing national coaches of his bona fides.

Former Wallabies coach Eddie Jones gave him a wide berth during his tenure while incumbent John Connolly is also no fan, the widespread belief being that Hewat struggles defensively and would be shown up even further at a national level.

Hewat was understood to have had offers from clubs in France, Japan and England.

AAP

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Back-flip, double somersault with pike!

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    Is a player who is forced to stay at a club against his will really going to want to perform? If the passion is gone the performances would dramatically weaken wouldn't you think?

I made Happy sad...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    That seemed to be the concensus with Matty Rogers at least Jess.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Lote call forces Hewat out

By Phillip Heads and Phil Rothfield
    May 13, 2007

AUSTRALIA discard Peter Hewat tried to quit last week because he had been criticised by selector Michael O'Connor in a phone conversation with champion centre Lote Tuqiri that was overheard by teammates.

The Sunday Telegraph can reveal that Tuqiri rang O'Connor when the Waratahs were out drinking last Sunday and had his mobile on loudspeaker.

Hewat and other New South Walesd players overheard O'Connor being critical of the Waratahs fullback. The next day Hewat was a shock omission from a 59-man Wallabies squad to prepare for the World Cup.

We understand Hewat stormed out of the hotel where the players were drinking and didn't show at the team's Mad Monday the following day.

Hewat approached NSW coach Ewen McKenzie on Tuesday and asked for an immediate release so he could play overseas. McKenzie put the request on hold.

Both O'Connor and Tuqiri were sheepish about the incident yesterday.

"It was a conversation that I had with Lote Tuqiri," O'Connor said. "It was quite candid. I'll leave it at that."

Tuqiri denied the incident had happened and said: "I've got nothing to say."

O'Connor's opinion was confirmed on Monday when Hewat was the highest profile omission from the Wallabies' World Cup train-on squad.

Hewat was contacted by The Sunday Telegraph but declined to comment on the record.

It's understood he was already considering a shift to Europe, but this incident accelerated his interest.

The goalkicking ace was the leading Australia pointscorer in Super 14 this year, and remains in the sights of several London clubs.

"The Waratahs are all about producing Wallabies and if that door is closed, then it's probably best that I move on and give someone else a go," Hewat said last week.

"Definitely the offer from one of the clubs in London appeals more than most."

Despite the stinging criticism from O'Connor and an ongoing snub from the Wallaby panel, Hewat is poised for a belated call-up to the Australia A team next week.

Injuries to Morgan Turinui and Clyde Rathbone have torn a small hole in backline stocks.

Nineteen players are to be cut from the 59-man squad tonight, while a final list of 40 will be announced next Sunday for the two-Test series against Wales.

But behind that top tier of players, a further 25 will be required for Australia A matches against Fiji, Tonga, Samoa, Japan and the Junior All Blacks.

The unavailability of Rathbone and Turinui is set to open the door for Hewat, who played for Australia A twice in 2005 and was man of the match in his second appearance.

The Pacific Nations Cup opens on May 25, the day before the first Test against Wales, with Australia A playing Tonga.

Sources have told The Sunday Telegraph that the ARU might try to block Hewat heading overseas even if NSW grant his request for a release from the final year of his contract.

It is understood the NSW Rugby Union will revisit the situation if they recruit further outside backs for 2008.

But a Waratahs insider said the ARU would still have to sign off on Hewat leaving before his contract expired and they were unlikely to agree despite the Wallabies selectors having no interest in him for the World Cup or beyond.

"It's to do with the fact that he hasn't played for the required number of years or racked up enough games at provincial level to be allowed out of his deal," the source said. "So he might have to serve out that final year in Australia regardless."

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Hewat seeks early release

By Peter Jenkins
    May 16, 2007

SHATTERED Australia reject Peter Hewat has sought legal advice as the Australian Rugby Union and New South Wales Waratahs refuse to grant him an early release to continue his career overseas.

NSWRU chief executive Fraser Neill confirmed last night the Waratahs and ARU have reached a joint decision to hold Hewat to the final year of a deal that expires at the end of 2008.

But the player's manager Ben Williams revealed that lawyers have been approached in the fight to have the goal kicker, unwanted by the Wallabies, freed from his contract to take up an offer in England, France or Japan.

“They believe we have strong grounds for a restriction of trade considering what's transpired over the last few weeks,” said Williams.

“Peter has made up his mind he wants to go because the door is shut on playing for Australia.
    “It would be a toxic and counter productive move to keep a player who is so disenchanted and doesn't have his heart, body and spirit committed.”

Hewat, 29, was left “disheartened and disillusioned” after overhearing a telephone conversation between Wallabies selector Michael O'Connor and NSW teammate Lote Tuqiri while Waratahs players were at a bar last Sunday week to mark the end of their season.

O'Connor was highly critical of Hewat and when a 59-man Wallabies train-on squad was named the following day the Waratahs goal kicker was missing.

A day later he met with NSW coach Ewen McKenzie to formally seek a release. Hewat had discussed the prospect of an early exit with McKenzie more than a month earlier if he was again overlooked by Wallabies selectors.

Breaking his silence on the controversy last night, Hewat said: “I was always looking to move overseas if I was not going to be picked for the Wallabies.

“So not being named in the top 59 players and hearing what Michael O'Connor had to say left me disillusioned and disheartened about my future in Australian rugby. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but hearing that wasn't great.”

The ARU sent the Waratahs correspondence yesterday outlining how Hewat fails to meet the qualifying criteria for an early release - five years or 60 games at a Super 14 franchise, or 30 Tests for the Wallabies.

Hewat has played 40 games over three years at NSW.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash
    "The unavailability of Rathbone and Turinui is set to open the door for Hewat, who played for Australia A twice in 2005 and was man of the match in his second appearance."

Gee thats sounds great. Sorry Hewat - your not good enough any more, see you later.
    followed by

Hang on theres some injuries - Would you like to play with us again?

I have a suspicion that Hewat will tell Connoly, McKenzie and ARU where they can go ....

Too many leaks and inconsistent decisions from ARU head office to drum up confidence, from players or supporters. Expect more people to head "overseas"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast