Thread: Connolly denies Henjak grudge

vCash

Connolly denies Henjak grudge

Connolly denies Henjak grudge
    Sportal

Wallabies coach John Connolly has denied Australian selectors were still holding a grudge against Matt Henjak for a public misdemeanour on the Wallabies South African tour in 2005.

Henjak, who was serving as understudy to George Gregan in the Brumbies and Wallabies sides that season, was kicked off the tour after a late-night brawl in a bar in Cape Town.

However, Connolly said Henjak's misconduct two years ago was not responsible for him not being named in the 59-man Wallabies train-on squad announced on Monday.

"It's got nothing to do with it," Connolly told the Daily Telegraph. "We've picked purely on form and the opinions of selectors."

With this being the case, Western Force head coach John Mitchell has said he is 'confused' as to why Henjak was not named in the Wallabies squad.

"He performed consistently well throughout Super 14," Mitchell said of Henjak

"All his outputs have stacked up. His accuracy in the tackle, his catch-pass, taking the ball into contact and his defence organisation are all above the benchmarks we set for him this season.

"So how he's not in the top three halfbacks in the country, I'm kind of confused."

Wallabies selectors have instead chosen George Gregan, Waratahs trio Josh Valentine, Brett Sheehan and Josh Holmes as well as Queenslander Sam Cordingley, who hasn't set foot on the Super 14 field this year due to injury.

"(Some of the other halfbacks chosen) haven't exactly been consistent and some of them haven't put any runs on the board," levelled Mitchell,

Mitchell, the former All Blacks coach, re-iterated that he believed Henjak was up to the task of international rugby, and demanded answers from the Australian selectors as to why the 26-year-old scrumhalf won't be adding to his four Test caps in the upcoming international rugby series.

"I wouldn't be sticking my neck out if I didn't think he was capable of playing Test rugby for his country," said Mitchell.

"He's got to know why he's not in the frame so the boy can move forward."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Adore this life
    There is no guarantee
    Could end by tomorrow

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    cordingly .. of all people how could you pick him???

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    "We should win the World Cup by 50 points," he said. "If he can't make the top 59 players, I am looking forward to seeing the exceptional team we will have."

This is a quote from Steve Gillis, manager of and talking about Clinton Schifcoske, well known Mungo, and fullback for the Reds

Just substitute Henjak, McIssac, Croft, Fava or Fairbanks. Whichever suits you. GTT members can put in Hewat, I suppose.

vCash
    Cordingly is a Knuckles favourite and has played for him several times previously, he was always going to get picked.

How the hell Sheehan keeps getting picked I'll never know.

vCash
    correct me if i'm wrong, but cordingly didnt even step foot on a rugby field this year due to injury?? I still find it hard to believe that henjak could even get a look in on a 59 man training squad

vCash
    Knuckles not bearing a grudge? Well I'll be buggered.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagerian
    How the hell Sheehan keeps getting picked I'll never know.
    Maybe Knuckles doesn't know he's a Sandgroper.

vCash
    It's all good. Less chance of Henjak getting injured and missing Force games. Glad so see Fava and McIssaac are also on the Force conditioning programme.

Senior Player Contributor hopep's Avatar
    vCash
    Perhaps Connoly is using the theory that Cordingley hasnt been playing so he must be fit and have no injuries ?

He doesn't seem to grasp "match fit" as a concept.
    3 Tahs, 1 unfit Red and 1 pensioned Brumby - I can see the logic (from a political viewpoint). Sooner the ARU board is redesigned the better.

Yak lifted his game considerable from last season (bit of a shocker for him) and deserves another shot at Test rugby.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hopep

He doesn't seem to grasp "match fit" as a concept.
    3 Tahs, 1 unfit Red and 1 pensioned Brumby - I can see the logic (from a political viewpoint). Sooner the ARU board is redesigned the better.
    Nice post !